Home

Madden 18 is 4th Best Selling Game of 2017

This is a discussion on Madden 18 is 4th Best Selling Game of 2017 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #9
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Madden 18 is 4th Best Selling Game of 2017

Ok...I'm going to be Debbie Downer.

The fact that Madden is the only NFL football game could be a reason why the game sold so well. With that said, there could be other reasons......

Maybe the buying public doesnt think the game is as bad as OS and other online forums think it is?

Maybe the buying public doesnt care about CFM that much and is happy that they are focusing MUT and other online games?

Maybe the buying public likes modes like Longshot?

EA just released a game where the devs were open about not adding much to franchise (the focus of most hardcore sports gamers) and that had screwed up offline gameplay for the first 3 mos of release because of the QB AI issue...and its still in the top 5.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I ask this question as sincerely as possible:

Why should we as gamers care about Madden's sales numbers? How do those numbers materially affect our individual and shared experience with the game we have in our hands?
I personally don't care. Madden, like COD is a successful game by the only metric that really matters and that's sells. COD gets a lot of hate for being the same every year, every year it's one of the best sellers. Madden isn't that different.

I won't lie though and say that I don't like the fact that an NBA game that technically has competition is not only outselling Madden, but breaking its own records every year. That to me shows that a yearly sports game can serve different masters in terms of depth and "sim" features (not either or) and still be a critical and commercial success.

From a business perspective I understand, Madden doesn't have to change a thing and it'll still make money. NBA2K doesn't either. But I also believe that 2K's success, which is insane for an NBA game and growing, is in part because of it's depth. Madden makes money and is a success , but aren't sales actually down? 2K is breaking its own records each year. More than anything I just feel like 2K being where it is at least warrants a look at more depth and features. If 2K wasn't outselling Madden you think that Rex would have responded the way he did? I don't. I think that's good for gamers, all of us. Now whether anything comes of it, IDK. But I think a better case can be made if you can point an example of another game doing it and being successful. That's about the only value I see as a gamer in knowing the sales.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #11
MVP

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I ask this question as sincerely as possible:

Why should we as gamers care about Madden's sales numbers? How do those numbers materially affect our individual and shared experience with the game we have in our hands?
You know the answer to this. The underlying tone here is hope that the game will not sell well. And that the lack of sales will somehow correlate to mass dissatisfaction with CFM/Sim aspects of the game which would in turn inspire developer's to prioritize/focus on sim aspects to improve sales. Longshot (no pun intended) in so many ways.........
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #12
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Ok...I'm going to be Debbie Downer.

The fact that Madden is the only NFL football game could be a reason why the game sold so well. With that said, there could be other reasons......

Maybe the buying public doesnt think the game is as bad as OS and other online forums think it is?

Maybe the buying public doesnt care about CFM that much and is happy that they are focusing MUT and other online games?

Maybe the buying public likes modes like Longshot?

EA just released a game where the devs were open about not adding much to franchise (the focus of most hardcore sports gamers) and that had screwed up offline gameplay for the first 3 mos of release because of the QB AI issue...and its still in the top 5.
Why is this being a Debbie Downer? I don't think anything you said is particularly controversial.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:52 PM   #13
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2774
You know the answer to this. The underlying tone here is hope that the game will not sell well. And that the lack of sales will somehow correlate to mass dissatisfaction with CFM/Sim aspects of the game which would in turn inspire developer's to prioritize/focus on sim aspects to improve sales. Longshot (no pun intended) in so many ways.........
And with the hopes and dreams that Madden sales will tank so badly that the NFL takes notice and hands the keys to another developer.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:34 AM   #14
Rookie

Overall total sales units are what EA will care about...not necessarily what place in game sales they finish the year at.
Every company has a goal of increasing sales on THEIR previous year, while also hopefully lowering expenditures.
Even if Madden finished at the top of the chart, if sales were down year to year, they're not going to be happy.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2017, 04:28 AM   #15
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Could quite also be the most returned sports game this year, maybe second to 2K. Most of my friends who bought it returned it within a week. I’m not using that as my point of reference, but from what I’ve seen, there’s a lot of negativity surrounding this game, and most of it is deserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2017, 06:10 AM   #16
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Could quite also be the most returned sports game this year, maybe second to 2K. Most of my friends who bought it returned it within a week. I’m not using that as my point of reference, but from what I’ve seen, there’s a lot of negativity surrounding this game, and most of it is deserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I can’t see how this would matter from EA’s perspective. Moreover, with the increase in digital downloads and profit margins for downloads vs physical copies the ability to return the game, will be a thing of th past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »