Home

Is Ultimate Team Ruining Madden (And other Sports Titles)

This is a discussion on Is Ultimate Team Ruining Madden (And other Sports Titles) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0

We are officially over a quarter into the Madden season. Most people have either moved on to another game by now with the exception of the die-hard football fans or online players.

I would consider myself to be a huge football fan, but could not bring myself to purchase Madden 18. I have played in numerous times at the expense of borrowing it from a friend, yet I still find myself holding out for Madden 19 hoping for more.

With the disappointment of Madden 18 for franchise mode, it started a discussion amongst my friends and I about why Franchise has received little to no love in the last few years, and why it has about as much depth as a puddle of water.

There were numerous reasons. Reasons such as:

1. The jump from PS2/XBOX to PS3/360- Does anyone else remember the depth that Madden 05/ 06 had? You could create stadiums, jerseys, fans, view hall of fame players, do offline tournaments, skill trainers, and even a superstar mode.

2. Madden 13 reboots Franchise with CFM- Arguably the worst rendition of franchise mode, Madden 13 removed a lot of valuable features that we have yet to get back today. Because of this, Franchise had to start back at Day zero, and we still don't have a large portion of what we once had.
Here is a link in regards to new additions to Madden 12.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvqzHvS2Io
This is the exact opposite of what they did this year.

3. MUT- It is no secret now that EA makes more than half of their money off of post-game transactions with modes like Ultimate Team.

Ultimate Team doesn't require fancy new features every year, and they certainly don't require as much development as a mode like Franchise or Super Star.

With that, they are able to make a game for a lot less, with less effort for the same income at the end of the day.

It was pointed out numerous times that EA has spent roughly $300 million less on development from 2009-2016. So why is that?

I can't recall the source off the top of my head, but essentially EA is making a little more than it did 5 years ago, yet they make way less off of game sales, and make a lot more off of post game sales.

Bottom Line
It is evident that EA's bread and butter is Ultimate Team. It is easy money, and there is a reason if you go to almost any Madden developers twitter page, roughly 90% of their posts are in regards to competitive play or MUT.

Are they afraid that other modes would detract attention away from MUT and potentially hurt their extra income?

Is it even fair to say that Madden is in a worse state today that it was 10 years ago?

What do you see from the future of Madden and other sports games for that matter? (especially with the legal attention that lootboxes have drawn)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
Rookie

I see a monetized, micro transaction filled CFM experience.

Or a stagnant CFM experience much like we have today with small improvements every few years.

I think the future is clear for Madden. They have stated their priorities and we can see it in action every time we fire up the game and dismiss a bunch of MUT content.

It is a football facade, with an MUT/fantasy heart, and I can’t see that changing, unless there is a tremendous shift in what the majority of sports gamers prioritize with their purchases.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Re: Is Ultimate Team Ruining Madden (And other Sports Titles)

No.
You make valid points. And your explanation of 3 is where I lay. This game mode brings in money post sale. Same as DLC does for single player games. For a company, in theory, that would mean you can do bigger and better things.

I don't know the hierarchy of EA as some of you may, but VISION can ruin a game. Maybe it takes one person to say "Hey guys, what if, just what if, we focus on Franchise mode this year. I mean people will play MUT regardless."

IF EA used alllllllllll of the MUT money to better franchise mode, then people would be thanking MUT big spenders.

LACK OF COMPETITION IS RUINING MADDEN.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by Datninja619; 12-09-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

MUT hasn't ruined Madden, it's ruined franchise mode.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

In a word, no.

Also, Clint's post aren't 90% MUT or competitive.

It may appear that way because that is the clientele of Twitter and that is a wide deep market.

Last edited by roadman; 12-09-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2017, 04:34 AM   #6
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Yes. Yes it is. It is siphoning off resources from modes more centered upon sports simulation. It is creating a pay-to-win culture. It is creating a monster where all the developmental resources go to new ways to nickle and dime consumers rather than toward making better art.

So yes, yes it is ruining sports gaming.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:32 AM   #7
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Some of y'all need to get that MUT hate out your heart.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 12-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Some of y'all need to get that MUT hate out your heart.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It isn't going to disappear, love it or hate it and I don't even mess with it, but I know millions do.

And not everyone has stopped playing Madden in a offline franchise. The people that still have the game are either still playing a CFM or thinking about trading it in sometime.

All the evidence one needs is take a peak at the slider forum. There is a more active discussion in that side forum vs the main forum.

Last edited by roadman; 12-10-2017 at 10:57 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »