Home

Polygon: Sports Game of the Year 2017 - Madden 18

This is a discussion on Polygon: Sports Game of the Year 2017 - Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #17
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Polygon: Sports Game of the Year 2017 - Madden 18

This isn't good for people like us, but hell Madden isn't for people like us, lmao....

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 12-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
This isn't good for people like us, but hell Madden isn't for people like us, lmao....
Essentially
Old 12-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #19
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Nba2k and The Show have been at a high enough level for many years now that it's just taken for granted. They both obviously represent their sport better than Madden. The article reads as if they spent more time with and believe that The Show is their favorite game of the year before they declare Longshot as the biggest innovation and declare Madden the winner because of that.

I personally don't like that because I believe the best sports game should win period regardless if they get tired of naming it that 10 years in a row. It's like giving a player MVP knowing that another was better just because he won many times before.

Pretty much every review when Madden came out gave high ratings almost entirely touting Longshot while not taking much else into consideration. Basically it's like let's try out what's new this year and judge it by that specifically because it makes things easier than actually spend enough time with it like we do to truly see a games flaws.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:40 PM   #20
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

snowflake review.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #21
Rookie

When madden gameplay is better then APF 2k8, then it should get GOTY, madden 18 is so far behind in all most every aspect in terms of gameplay compare to APF, and yet every year they talk about GOTY for madden, you wonder why madden is in such a sorry state of video game football

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #22
Rookie

YaBarber's Arena

What’s funny is Longshot got the basic fundamentals of football & terminology wrong in some of those scenes
Old 12-31-2017, 06:34 PM   #23
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

As a Franchise Player, this is bad news for me and everyone else hoping for a major CFM overhaul. I know these writers have been covering video games for a while but they must have a low standard when it comes to determining "Game of The Year".

To say that Madden 18 was GOTY because of Longshot, tells me I'll be sticking with Madden 17 for years.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:48 PM   #24
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCMPunk
As a Franchise Player, this is bad news for me and everyone else hoping for a major CFM overhaul. I know these writers have been covering video games for a while but they must have a low standard when it comes to determining "Game of The Year".

To say that Madden 18 was GOTY because of Longshot, tells me I'll be sticking with Madden 17 for years.
I haven't played a new Madden title since M15. M18 is a massive improvement. I love the CFM layout, even though not much has changed at all since M17 from what I have heard. The different game-play modes are really awesome.

I was really into MUT with M15 as I played it for the entire season in depth for the first time. I didn't spend money on it and you can do that and be competitive in MUT, but it requires a massive time-sink by sniping on the Auction House. Buying low and selling high. I've been checking out a bit of MUT with M18 and I really like the changes they have made to that mode since M15. A lot of weekly updates. Ways to upgrade without spending money.

I haven't been playing the MUT mode in M18 and I don't plan to, but great changes/improvements to the mode. I'd probably play MUT more if it wasn't going to reset every season. It would be nice if it were an online mode the continued to carry over every season. I have some ideas as to how they could do that while still releasing Madden titles every season and I think they could retain more players that don't want to spend additional money every year.

Overall though I'm loving my M18 experience. I'm back to playing the CFM heavily and it has been excellent game-play outside of a few bugs that have mostly been patched. The fumble recovery stat bug was fixed early on. And this current slow running issue which is hopefully fixed soon.

I don't have unrealistic expectations regarding the CFM mode. I've long since given up any hope that EA will re-focus on that mode. Ever since MUT took off in M13 or M25 they have completely stopped focusing on CFM. And it makes sense. MUT and competitive tournaments are where they make their money and have the most visibility. No one sees us playing our solo or Cloud CFM's at home. And no one really cares. I'm fine with that as long as CFM continues to exist in Madden and continues to be a fun experience, which it has been for me in M18.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »