Home

Polygon: Sports Game of the Year 2017 - Madden 18

This is a discussion on Polygon: Sports Game of the Year 2017 - Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 22: 11 Features to Improve Stadium Creator
MXGP 2021 Review
Football Manager 22 Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 01-01-2018, 01:49 AM   #33
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Polygon: Sports Game of the Year 2017 - Madden 18

Old 01-01-2018, 03:04 AM   #34
Rookie

DaGreatOne21's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
This is nonsense. As someone that played six online seasons of APFB 2K8, and loved 2K football to death, Madden eclipsed 2K's gameplay years ago. That doesn't make Madden perfect. But let's not pretend that 2K8 was so perfect.
Well, I mean, I wont deny there are aspects of Madden's gameplay that are better, but lets be real here....the animation and physics in 2K are still better than anything Madden has ever been, and that directly translates to superior gameplay in many ways.....and beyond gameplay, youll see hings happen in 2K that youll never see happen in Madden.

I could list a ton of examples, but Ill just leave it at this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngG0v5Lt2us

I know some people on here dont care for him, but this video is spot on. Ive been complaining about fade routes in Madden forever.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:33 AM   #35
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGreatOne21
Well, I mean, I wont deny there are aspects of Madden's gameplay that are better, but lets be real here....the animation and physics in 2K are still better than anything Madden has ever been, and that directly translates to superior gameplay in many ways.....and beyond gameplay, youll see hings happen in 2K that youll never see happen in Madden.

I could list a ton of examples, but Ill just leave it at this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngG0v5Lt2us

I know some people on here dont care for him, but this video is spot on. Ive been complaining about fade routes in Madden forever.
The new passing mechanic can be used to throw proper fade routes. But yes, it is a fundamental issue with the way the game is programmed. Unless it is an errant pass the ball gets thrown to the receiver. Never over the receiver or a back shoulder.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #36
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Owen Good and Samit Sarkar have gone with Madden 18 as Polygon's 2017's Sports Game of the Year.

As much as I have enjoyed Madden this year, I have hard time believing NBA 2K18 or MLB The Show 17 were not strong entires. And really, NBA Live 18 is getting most of my sports gaming time. I also think that NHL 18's Threes was a bigger risk, and paid off a lot better than Longshot.

But man, combine that with The Sixth Access also choosing Madden 18 as it's Sports Game of the Year, also in large part due to the "success" of Longshot, and the strong sales of the game so far, sim gamers are going to have a hard time convincing the the powers that be that Madden 18 is an abomination that needs to be completely reworked.
They pay a lot of attention to their Metacritic scores though and the last time I checked the *user* score on there was a 3.8. Reviewers are still only one customer out of many and don't carry the influence they once did. Maybe EA will ignore customers who want a better all around product - gambling that the storyline and MUT audience will stick around for the length of time that some of us 'sim' gamers have.

Last edited by RogerDodger; 01-01-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingd803
No, that is wrong.

APF still animates better. Fact. The running game is way better. Dline and oline interaction blows madden away. The passing game is miles ahead. I mean look at QB drop backs. Heck simple things like the ball actually being in the QBs hands. I mean QB drop backs and throwing motion are so much better in APF itís unbelievable.

Basically itís 2k vs live animation wise. But the difference is much worse than that.

All of these are indisputable. Madden has improved its not terrible. Some new animations look really good. But itís still so far behind. In many areas.
Anyone who has invested any legitimate amount of time in All Pro would never have said that.

It's still night and day. The one thing I'll give Madden credit for is I believe their product actually understands run concepts a little better. The power O and Zone run plays are actually readable now, and All Pro wasn't entirely there yet outside of their power plays. The Madden dev team deserves real praise for that.

That said, The individual that tried to assert this falsehood has already proven themselves not to be taken seriously. I never, in my life, saw anyone call that game "APFB2K8".

"Football" is one word, and the game was APF2K8.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #38
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
They pay a lot of attention to their Metacritic scores though and the last time I checked the *user* score on there was a 3.8. Reviewers are still only one customer out of many and don't carry the influence they once did. Maybe EA will ignore customers who want a better all around product - gambling that the storyline and MUT audience will stick around for the length of time that some of us 'sim' gamers have.
NBA 2K18's User Metacritic score is 1.6. That score we know is not indicative of the true quality of the game, but is of course primarily composed of protest scores because of anger over VC. The game is still on pace for record sales again. Does one think that Take Two is going to let those scores be a strong motivator for the direction of 2K19's development or will they look at sales and the revenue that they made from micro-transactions.

The BattleFront 2 User Metacritic is 0.9. There may be some legitimate criticisms about games from some of the user Metacritic scores, but lets be real, since most of the votes are protest votes or trolling now, I'm pretty sure that executives think of it as mostly noise. Many Users have rendered their opinion useless because of their intellectual dishonesty. Withholding their money is now their only weapon.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #39
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

I'd say that if you go to any one of the forums on OS (NHL, NBA, Madden, MLB, FIFA), that there are multiple threads with serious gripes about every single one of them. NHL hasn't changed in years, NBA and FIFA decided to play the micro transaction game, Madden hasn't done a thing to the CFM, MLB had to release a million patches and ended up basically negating the whole "Improved ball physics" selling point that they pushed this year (And didn't update franchise mode).

I haven't played FIFA yet, and MLB will likely always be my favorite, but I'll be honest and say that I really do enjoy firing up M18, and can understand why it would be their choice for sports game of the year.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #40
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Madden 18 was a really good game by mid-November with 1.07, and before 1.08 introduced the running in mud bug. Didn't play NBA this year, but The Show, FIFA, PES, and yes, NHL 18, were better sports games imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »