Home

CFM DLC..what if?

This is a discussion on CFM DLC..what if? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
CFM DLC..what if?

I think the production spend on CFM would double if they could make more money from it

Get creative tell me what DLC features they should add or freemium like MUT
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: CFM DLC..what if?

$10 for a superstar trait.

$10 to automatically scout entire draft class.

$2 for extra weekly scouting points.

$99 for 200k xp on a player of your choice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 07-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
MVP

Wouldn't this completely wreck 32 man CFMs? Now you'd need everyone to get the same DLC or worse yet face the prospect of not being competitive if they aren't willing to drop $ into their franchise team.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I could reasonably see two DLC options for Franchise mode:

1 - a scenario mode which provides an alternate mode of play for largely the same feature set. For example, a 1990s scenario would reset the league to the 1989-90 season where, among other things, you could redo the Herschel Walker trade, fulfill Jeff George's pre-draft potential, draft Brett Favre in the first round, and so on. In a more robust version of this DLC, the division alignments would match where they were in real life during the appropriate seasons, teams would automatically relocate as appropriate (notably, the LA Rams would move to St. Louis and come back), and expansion teams such as the Jaguars, Panthers, and Texans would also populate into the mode at the appropriate times - complete with expansion drafts. Basically, take the historic scenarios Out Of The Park Baseball provides for that game and apply them to Madden.

Unfortunately I don't think such a feature, as cool as it would be, will ever materialize for Madden because A - the rights fees for so many historic players are probably cost-prohibitive, B - limited appeal (the NFL doesn't do a great job of promoting the history of its game, save a select few players and teams), and C - the amount of work to pull off such a feature properly (notably, the division realignment and expansion draft features would be - speaking to programming, not presence in previous games - new features for CFM, and Tiburon would have to build them from scratch; not to mention all the historic uniforms would require an art pass, which would be a huge amount of effort in and of itself).

2 - a season pass / challenge mode. I'm ripping this idea from Fortnite because other games are going to ape it very soon (and they are doing it already). Basically, you pay $10 for a list of timed in-game challenges and guaranteed unlockable items for completing those challenges. This is more relevant for MUT than Madden, and I think most of the rewards would be obtained in MUT, but I could see a world where a Madden season pass item included challenges in Franchise mode to unlock items in MUT.

DLC options I do not see as reasonable for Franchise mode anytime soon:

- buying XP / Skill Points / scouting points / dev traits. Franchise mode is a competitive multiplayer mode, and these are pay-to-win features. Pay-to-win is universally bad game design, and none of us should ever actually want this to show up in CFM.

- new features to extend CFM. Example: purchasing a DLC item which adds the supplemental draft into CFM. What happens in a multiplayer CFM if I own the supplemental draft DLC and my brother does not? if he doesn't get to participate in the supplemental draft, then I hold a competitive advantage over him since I will have an opportunity to acquire young players he won't have access to, so this DLC also becomes pay-to-win, which we already established is bad.

- Cosmetics. Not really many options here; Tiburon could sell new relocation uniforms, I guess? I don't think the demand is there to support that, though.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 07-09-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
Emerald Archer

Sphinx's Arena

I'm not against paid dlc for cfm but I don't think that's the direction they want to go. However, if I'm wrong and they did this I would prefer it be more about features than power up type stuff. Like say they want to add all of the pre-draft stuff, combine, pro days, mock drafts or maybe something smaller like power rankings and all pro teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
$10 for a superstar trait.

$10 to automatically scout entire draft class.

$2 for extra weekly scouting points.

$99 for 200k xp on a player of your choice.

I do not know if you're being ironic but it would be a horrible idea!!! It would completely ruin CFM.

But, something interesting would be a DLC after the draft with roster update, correct stats, rookies. Obviously it would be a playable DLC only until the realease of the next Madden.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN49ers
I do not know if you're being ironic but it would be a horrible idea!!! It would completely ruin CFM.

But, something interesting would be a DLC after the draft with roster update, correct stats, rookies. Obviously it would be a playable DLC only until the realease of the next Madden.
I was obviously trolling. Maybe a bit too subtle.

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

I think following the MLB The Show model would be best, meaning that you earn universal currency from the things you achieve in the mode that you could then spend in MUT or in Franchise.

I think adding things like being able to redesign new uniforms, change your uniform, unlock new uniform designs and helmet finishes, new prototype equipment, cosmetic changes to on-field gameplay (i.e. futuristic upgrades to help keep the mode fresh in later years), ability to design your own stadiums and practice facilities using a modular creation system, options for local TV presentation packages for games that aren't in primetime, and more. There's a lot you can do without giving someone a competitive edge, and you could hypothetically buy all this just by playing the game. But I think there would definitely be people who would want to just pay upfront to try some of this out or get a new uniform for their team to show off. You could even sell design packs that would unlock random designs and textures.

Obviously, this would take quite a bit of planning and development, but I feel like it's the best course of action if they're going to go this route. It would also add in a lot of what's being requested in terms of customization and personalization, and while it still might be a hard sell to the league and the teams to all people to create new uniforms for teams, it might soften them to hear that the potential to make a good amount of money from it were possible.

I'd stay away from buying XP and scouting advantages, completely.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »