Home

Looking for Catching Mechanics Help with M18

This is a discussion on Looking for Catching Mechanics Help with M18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2018, 11:15 PM   #1
Pro

Devaster's Arena

OVR: 0

The last Madden gen I played was M15, which didn't have any of the aggressive/possession/RAC catches. Something that has really bothered me in M18 is I can get a receiver or TE to break break past the defender and be running wide open and I throw a lob touch pass to drop it right into the receiver's hands only to have my receiver jump. They stupidly stop and jump to catch the ball instead of continuing to run and run under it and let it drop right into their hands.

This ridiculous jump animation has caused so many drops for me because it allows the defender to catch up and tackle my receiver in mid-air. Any way to properly complete this throw and catch?

Last edited by Devaster; 01-16-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
F17
Rookie

Re: Looking for Catching Mechanics Help with M18

This is annoying as hell isn't it!
I've been thinking recently that is it something to do with no having the RAC trait. But I see it happening with some players even when they do. But also have aggressive catch traits. Regardless of me pressing square to trigger the rac catch. Endzone plays are particularly frustrating for this as well
Old 01-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Rookie

If I had a dollar for every time one of my receivers dove for a ball that they could've caught on the run...
Old 01-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
Rookie

Or have a receiver catch a screen pass and do that turning catching animation like they think a big hit is coming even though everyone is blocked and fall to the ground
Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Hmm, yeah, idk about some of these posts. I understand the OP being unfamiliar with the new catch mechanics, but really, that’s it. If u lob deep and your qb has good deep acc and your wr beats his man AND has better speed than the CB, u should RAC catch to make sure your wr tries to catch in stride and keep going. I’ve actually come to attempt most deep balls with RAC catch for just that reason, I want them to catch in stride and keep going. That being said, sometimes the ball is just under thrown or something, and u can’t RAC catch, or maybe the game gives a bad catch animation and the DB catches u and tackles u or knocks the ball out with a hit or something. Sometimes, when u want to RAC catch deep, u might suddenly realize, ‘crap, it’s underthrown, DB might catch me, gotta go Aggressive Catch’ and press Y and fight the DB for it. Legit, the different catch types play diff roles in catching diff passes and make the game more dynamic.

And, to the person talking about screens, I can tell u what I do 95% of the time. As the qb, wait for the RB to make his route to the outside for the screen. Throw it almost immediately on this cut. Don’t wait for him to get open. Don’t wait to see if a defender is there. Just throw it on the cut. Give it a ‘double tap’ of the screen button so that he gives it a little loft and touch on the pass. Immediately, press X for RAC catch. That’s it. That’s all u have to do on screens. Now, u have to see where your blocking is and make the play. But, this will at least throw a decent pass and catch for the screen so u don’t have a possession catch.

Some people don’t dig the ‘new’ catching system, but I love it. It gives u that little extra choice of how to catch the ball at the moment of truth and can make a big difference what happens next. If you’ve been hesitant to use it because ‘I don’t want to press another button for the catch’ or something, lol, you are missing out on some extra ‘gameplay abilities’ that truly can change certain outcomes.

Again, on those deep balls, I have Julio Jones, and while he’s a great spec catch guy, if he has a few steps on his DB because of his speed, and I can tell it’s a good throw, I instantly hit that X RAC button, so that he catches in stride and continues on for the TD. I don’t just spam Y for aggressive catch because he’s got a high spec catch, it all depends on the specific play as it develops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by OhMrHanky; 01-18-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Pro

Devaster's Arena

I'll make sure to record footage of the next time it happens. It happens to me all the time though on post/corner routes when facing man coverage and my receiver beats the man. Instead of continuing to run and catch the ball they stop, jump, and attempt the catch. And it is usually a well thrown ball.

edit: Do you have to tap or hold the button to designate the type of catch? Also do you have to switch to the receiver and tap or hold the button to make the designated type of catch? I find myself a lot of times just holding down the possession button because I commit so many drops.

Last edited by Devaster; 01-18-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Hmm, yeah, idk about some of these posts. I understand the OP being unfamiliar with the new catch mechanics, but really, that’s it. If u lob deep and your qb has good deep acc and your wr beats his man AND has better speed than the CB, u should RAC catch to make sure your wr tries to catch in stride and keep going. I’ve actually come to attempt most deep balls with RAC catch for just that reason, I want them to catch in stride and keep going. That being said, sometimes the ball is just under thrown or something, and u can’t RAC catch, or maybe the game gives a bad catch animation and the DB catches u and tackles u or knocks the ball out with a hit or something. Sometimes, when u want to RAC catch deep, u might suddenly realize, ‘crap, it’s underthrown, DB might catch me, gotta go Aggressive Catch’ and press Y and fight the DB for it. Legit, the different catch types play diff roles in catching diff passes and make the game more dynamic.

And, to the person talking about screens, I can tell u what I do 95% of the time. As the qb, wait for the RB to make his route to the outside for the screen. Throw it almost immediately on this cut. Don’t wait for him to get open. Don’t wait to see if a defender is there. Just throw it on the cut. Give it a ‘double tap’ of the screen button so that he gives it a little loft and touch on the pass. Immediately, press X for RAC catch. That’s it. That’s all u have to do on screens. Now, u have to see where your blocking is and make the play. But, this will at least throw a decent pass and catch for the screen so u don’t have a possession catch.

Some people don’t dig the ‘new’ catching system, but I love it. It gives u that little extra choice of how to catch the ball at the moment of truth and can make a big difference what happens next. If you’ve been hesitant to use it because ‘I don’t want to press another button for the catch’ or something, lol, you are missing out on some extra ‘gameplay abilities’ that truly can change certain outcomes.

Again, on those deep balls, I have Julio Jones, and while he’s a great spec catch guy, if he has a few steps on his DB because of his speed, and I can tell it’s a good throw, I instantly hit that X RAC button, so that he catches in stride and continues on for the TD. I don’t just spam Y for aggressive catch because he’s got a high spec catch, it all depends on the specific play as it develops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not the runningbacks that fall down on screen passes only the wide receivers do. I usually try to hold RAC catch before they catch it but sometimes in laggy online games you don’t get a chance and then you lose 5 yards because your receiver decided to possession catch a perfectly blocked screen play.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmesx10
It’s not the runningbacks that fall down on screen passes only the wide receivers do. I usually try to hold RAC catch before they catch it but sometimes in laggy online games you don’t get a chance and then you lose 5 yards because your receiver decided to possession catch a perfectly blocked screen play.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I've had my RB make possession catches on screen passes. It is dumb as hell. That is without pressing any buttons after I throw it. It doesn't make any sense that the RB would even attempt to make a possession catch on a screen. Better off dropping that in a real life situation and an in-game one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »