Home

Special abilities in Madden

This is a discussion on Special abilities in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts
View Poll Results: Special abilities in future Madden
Yea 12 38.71%
Maybe if implemented correctly 15 48.39%
No 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #9
MVP

briz1046's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Special abilities in Madden

Traits or however you choose to name them are best for abilities where the possibilities are if the yes/no or sometimes variety and no real grading us necessary or possible between those choices
Using an icon or star or whatever system for abilities such as speed where a wide variance of possibilities is expected is ,to be honest ,somewhat pointless and misleading
In order to utilise this information * under the hood* the CPU requires this in numerical form thus it's really only a superficial front side change that would have no impact on gameplay
If other games portrayed certain players or types better it was due to a wider variance if animations or more signature animations not due to how it portrayed them on the front end ratings
If however the OP is referring to a weapon system which was used to boost a pre assigned rating ( juke) I'd not be favour as it would seem unrealistic
Adding more traits where appropriate ( or ratings for that matter) to offer more variety would always be a welcome change though
Old 01-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I would HATE this kind of thing.

"Laser arm?" No thanks.

The types of special abilities I would be after are things that can't be or aren't included in ratings. Thinks like release speed. In the NFL, the QB's release actually matters, but there is nothing like that in all the ratings.

Or how about throwing fundamentals? The closest Madden comes to that is the "tight spiral" characteristic.

But the rest of this "Back of the Box" stuff? No thank you.
You're viewpoint is ignorant. (I'm just saying you didn't understand where he is coming from with those terms)

2K's "Laser Arm" just meant the quarterback had the ability to throw the ball at a different trajectory because he was given a different set of animations. Maybe the name was corny, the actual mechanic was legitimate. It allowed you to throw the ball into tight windows. If you did not have a quarterback with that ability, you could not throw into that window with enough speed to ensure the play being made. Dan Marino was a nightmare in 2K8 because in addition to his "Laser Arm" ability, he had "Quick Release" as well. If you didn't get pressure on him immediately, he was going to tear into your ***.

----

Madden 08 introduced weapons but the animations did not differentiate enough imo. 2K's abilities gave a player a more efficient animation. One specific one I can think of is the Stiff Arm. A player who had that ability was able to put one out there that was not only effective but it was FAST. He would get rid of the defender while the normal stiff arm was effective but the animation was longer.

The problem with this development team, historically, is they haven't proven they can create this type of gameplay in a fundamentally practical sense. I have no doubt they could Mo-Cap some incredible interaction animations, but would they make sense in the scenarios where they play out.

In 2K you weren't going to stiff arm anyone, even if you had the ability, if your ball carrier didn't have a head of steam. In Madden, given the dice roll, your player would be capable of that in ANY situation.

It is something Madden desperately needs, but it doesn't think on a level deep enough to warrant it, yet. At least IMO.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
Rookie

For illustrative purposes. (Quality sucks)

This is a normal stiff arm in the game - Notice how after initiating contact, the Ball carrier has to then "push" the defender away. I would describe this animation as one that consists of two parts. One is initiation of contact, the other being the "finish"

This one is with the stiff arm ability. This animation is faster, and enables the user to chain into another move almost immediately. I would describe this animation as one, continuous motion. The Ball Carrier puts out a jab and the defender is unable to impede his progress in the same way.

Some IRL examples

Normal

Ability

Last edited by Thunderhorse; 01-21-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Didn't Madden have something similar back in the day, like 09 or 10? I think they were called weapons.

I think the QB position is getting there, finally differences between Rodgers and Hundley.

I do agree with the RB and WR positions. Good pass rushers usually dominate.

And I never try to pass on Sherman's side.

To me, it's a mixed bag and I think if they differentiated better with the RB and WR positions, then I think we are headed in the right direction.
Agreed.

If one thing Madden is steadily improving on is player ratings. And yes, finally a big difference in QBs. From what I've seen.

But I would love to see the things the OP has in mind. Ratings plus "working" traits and personalities and styles, etc. I'm all in for that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #13
Rookie

CHIEFxxROCKEM's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I would HATE this kind of thing.

"Laser arm?" No thanks.

The types of special abilities I would be after are things that can't be or aren't included in ratings. Thinks like release speed. In the NFL, the QB's release actually matters, but there is nothing like that in all the ratings.

Or how about throwing fundamentals? The closest Madden comes to that is the "tight spiral" characteristic.

But the rest of this "Back of the Box" stuff? No thank you.
So you telling if some has a 95 throw power they can’t have a lser arm? Wow. Madden 08 basically had this & it wasn’t an issue
Old 01-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #14
Rookie

CHIEFxxROCKEM's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
For illustrative purposes. (Quality sucks)

This is a normal stiff arm in the game - Notice how after initiating contact, the Ball carrier has to then "push" the defender away. I would describe this animation as one that consists of two parts. One is initiation of contact, the other being the "finish"

This one is with the stiff arm ability. This animation is faster, and enables the user to chain into another move almost immediately. I would describe this animation as one, continuous motion. The Ball Carrier puts out a jab and the defender is unable to impede his progress in the same way.

Some IRL examples

Normal

Ability

Thank you for this bcuz I don’t know how to post videos 😂 but what you gave that example of is exactly how I wanted.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #15
Rookie

CHIEFxxROCKEM's Arena

http://www.ign.com/articles/2007/08/...weapons-loaded

What’s the difference guys?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
MVP

briz1046's Arena

I don't see much if any difference between a 1 - 100 ratings system whereby a rating over 95( or whatever the highest threshold is set at) opens up all available animations
Or a ratings system whereby a lower rating plus badges can have the same possibilities
To be honest though the former seems more likely to be realistic
Both systems require a significant number of alternative and varying animations available to truly be seen to be representing differing players accurately..and this is where Madden needs to improve...not necessarily in how it's representating it on the front end

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »