Home

Special abilities in Madden

This is a discussion on Special abilities in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts
View Poll Results: Special abilities in future Madden
Yea 12 38.71%
Maybe if implemented correctly 15 48.39%
No 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #33
MVP

Koosa1027's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Special abilities in Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
If we are talking shiny bells and whistles; Yeah, I'm with you. A picture or a badge that lights up when "activated" doesn't legitimately solve the issue.

I'm talking more along the lines of what 2K basketball used to call "Signature Styles". Specific animations that efficiently illustrate player differences and differentiate them based on effectiveness.
Signature styles were great but players having 20 "bonus badges/weapons" or whatever they would call them is a little excessive especially when a simple rating system that works would handle that.

~Koosa10:27~
SIM is a MINDSET...Don't cheat the game and you'll get better results ~Koosa10:27~
Old 01-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #34
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

My preference is that EA uses the current trait system with one major change...they go from editable and upgradeable traits to locked-down dependent on a player meeting certain ratings thresholds. This is very similar to how MLB The Show introduced the player quirks this year. If a player met certain ratings, he got that 'quirk'.

So for Madden, say we're talking about the 'Tight Spiral" trait. If a QB has a throwing power rating of a certain level (say 95+), he gets the trait. If he doesn't have that rating (or regresses to below it), he doesn't have it.

It's similar to how EA (for the most part) has the sense pressure trait setup in their rosters (it is typically related to the QB's awareness rating). The problem is that it doesn't change (unless the trait is "purchased" with XP). If the trait were locked-into certain awareness thresholds, it would be dynamic as players develop within a CFM. I've started doing this manually within my CFM and it has added another layer to watching how QBs develop over time...rookies play a lot more like rookies but as they develop, that sense pressure improves to the next tier and next tier....
Old 01-22-2018, 10:21 PM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koosa1027
Signature styles were great but players having 20 "bonus badges/weapons" or whatever they would call them is a little excessive especially when a simple rating system that works would handle that.

Assuming the rating system is perfect, yes. But how do you do that with just a number? Do you correlate the animation with a specific number?

Using MUT as an example because it pull players from different seasons and eras. How does a 99 TRK Adrian Peterson compare with a 99 TRK Marshawn Lynch when it comes to their respective animation? These guys did not run with the ball the same way.

Assuming it's possible, how does EA illustrate that difference without going outside a numerical rating system?

From a simulation standpoint I believe the question is irrelevant, because a player got run over and that is all that matters. But from an artistic standpoint, one that through illustration replicates an authentic example of the occurrence, how do they make that work if the only thing that matters is the numerical value?

Last edited by Thunderhorse; 01-22-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2018, 10:31 PM   #36
MVP

Koosa1027's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
Assuming the rating system is perfect, yes. But how do you do that with just a number? Do you correlate the animation with a specific number?

Using MUT as an example because it pull players from different seasons and eras. How does a 99 TRK Adrian Peterson compare with a 99 TRK Marshawn Lynch when it comes to their respective animation? These guys did not run with the ball the same way.

Assuming it's possible, how does EA illustrate that difference without going outside a numerical rating system?
I agree...but what I am saying is...players should be differentiated by having personal, true to life animations like you said before about signature styles...signature styles are a perfect example. Players should feel and play different from each other based off of the animations in their arsenal...I don't like the idea of making Adrian Peterson's break tackle rating be boosted because he has 15 break tackle traits that activate every time he runs the ball lol...it's hard to explain but I think you and I are on the same side of the debate. Ratings and animations should differentiate player. For example, Every QB on madden should have their real life throwing motion, Tom Brady and Dak Prescott should NOT feel and look the same when you control them but as of now they do. So I feel like you hit the nail on the head with signature styles...sorry for the long post

SIM is a MINDSET...Don't cheat the game and you'll get better results ~Koosa10:27~
Old 01-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #37
MVP

Koosa1027's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
My preference is that EA uses the current trait system with one major change...they go from editable and upgradeable traits to locked-down dependent on a player meeting certain ratings thresholds. This is very similar to how MLB The Show introduced the player quirks this year. If a player met certain ratings, he got that 'quirk'.

So for Madden, say we're talking about the 'Tight Spiral" trait. If a QB has a throwing power rating of a certain level (say 95+), he gets the trait. If he doesn't have that rating (or regresses to below it), he doesn't have it.

It's similar to how EA (for the most part) has the sense pressure trait setup in their rosters (it is typically related to the QB's awareness rating). The problem is that it doesn't change (unless the trait is "purchased" with XP). If the trait were locked-into certain awareness thresholds, it would be dynamic as players develop within a CFM. I've started doing this manually within my CFM and it has added another layer to watching how QBs develop over time...rookies play a lot more like rookies but as they develop, that sense pressure improves to the next tier and next tier....
Nice idea...I like the way you think, if traits were used that way I would have no problem with it because it would still be tied to a rating. Madden is in major need of some type of animation separation though...every team/player feels and plays the same. With all sliders on default I can pretty much dominate with a 3rd string QB just as easily as I can with Tom Brady and im nowhere close to being a legendary Madden player on the sticks lol🤣

Old 01-22-2018, 11:31 PM   #38
MVP

briz1046's Arena

I think it would be highly unlikely that even every top tier player could be given their own unique signature animations so separating two individuals with similar abilities but unique styles will always be difficult

But the greater the abundance of possible animations again with thresholds governing who can trigger them the more we will see diversity amongst the players

No system numerical or otherwise ( and all systems are numerical beneath the hood ) can separate two players who both have the highest possible grading in any category (without each having a unique animation set )But they can distinguish those from less highly rated players better if you add more animations at all talent levels
Old 01-23-2018, 04:08 AM   #39
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977

I don't like that. Take Colin Kaepernick. He has a world class arm. He does not throw with touch, and is more likely than the average QB to throw a wobbly rocket pass. He should have 95 throwing power, but he shouldn't have tight spiral.

Then look at Steve Young. He was a wrist spinner, and his balls were smooth and beautiful (). But, while he had adequate, better than average arm strength, it was not quite at the elite level.

It's the same thing with Jimmy Garoppolo. He throws a beautiful, tight spiral, but he doesn't have Pat Mahomes arm strength. Meanwhile, he came into the NFL with a fast release, so if that were a trait, he'd need to start with it.

So yeah, as far as traits go, I don't think they should all necessarily be tied to ratings. And, as I said before, nor do I think there should be traits for things that can be linked to ratings (things like "quick feet" would be superfluous since we have agility and acceleration ratings).
Old 01-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #40
MVP

Koosa1027's Arena

I just want to say that this may be some of the most intelligently spoken, well thought out content that I have seen in a thread in a long time and everybody is giving their opinions and disagreements in a respectful manner, good stuff people...I wish the devs would cypher through this one for some valuable info. Let's keep this up!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »