Home

Special abilities in Madden

This is a discussion on Special abilities in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts
View Poll Results: Special abilities in future Madden
Yea 12 38.71%
Maybe if implemented correctly 15 48.39%
No 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #41
MVP

Koosa1027's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Special abilities in Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I don't like that. Take Colin Kaepernick. He has a world class arm. He does not throw with touch, and is more likely than the average QB to throw a wobbly rocket pass. He should have 95 throwing power, but he shouldn't have tight spiral.

Then look at Steve Young. He was a wrist spinner, and his balls were smooth and beautiful (). But, while he had adequate, better than average arm strength, it was not quite at the elite level.

It's the same thing with Jimmy Garoppolo. He throws a beautiful, tight spiral, but he doesn't have Pat Mahomes arm strength. Meanwhile, he came into the NFL with a fast release, so if that were a trait, he'd need to start with it.

So yeah, as far as traits go, I don't think they should all necessarily be tied to ratings. And, as I said before, nor do I think there should be traits for things that can be linked to ratings (things like "quick feet" would be superfluous since we have agility and acceleration ratings).
Good stuff right here...adds a level of detail that is currently missing and I never thought of it like this.

~Koosa10:27~
SIM is a MINDSET...Don't cheat the game and you'll get better results ~Koosa10:27~

Last edited by Koosa1027; 01-23-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #42
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koosa1027
Good stiff right here...adds a level of detail that is currently missing and I never thought of it like this.

~Koosa10:27~
The problem with a touch trait (which theoretically I like, but...) is that the user needs to be able to decide when to throw with touch. How would you implement that?

I guess you can make it so that a QB like Kaepernick just doesn't respond to how you press the buttons except bullet passes and regular passes, but that would be throwing the baby out with the bath water, as Kap did every now and then exhibit touch. Just not nearly enough to say he was a good pure passer. Quite the opposite with old Peyton Manning, of course. Great passer, weak arm late in his career.

But how would you implement a "touch" trait?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
The problem with a touch trait (which theoretically I like, but...) is that the user needs to be able to decide when to throw with touch. How would you implement that?

I guess you can make it so that a QB like Kaepernick just doesn't respond to how you press the buttons except bullet passes and regular passes, but that would be throwing the baby out with the bath water, as Kap did every now and then exhibit touch. Just not nearly enough to say he was a good pure passer. Quite the opposite with old Peyton Manning, of course. Great passer, weak arm late in his career.

But how would you implement a "touch" trait?
By boosting accuracy and ball placement when utilizing the touch throw. It doesn't work so well for Kap, but for Brady it becomes a deadly weapon.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:46 PM   #44
MVP

briz1046's Arena

My personal preferences would be for a selection of running animation styles similar to how they do QB throwing motions and increases pass rush moves ...both of which could be implemented without a my major upheavals I'd imagine ...
Interested to see others ideas for traits though
Old 01-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #45
Rookie

CHIEFxxROCKEM's Arena

OVR: 8

Love the discussion & ideas thrown around guys!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2018, 12:29 AM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
By boosting accuracy and ball placement when utilizing the touch throw. It doesn't work so well for Kap, but for Brady it becomes a deadly weapon.
This is essentially what 2K basketball is able to do with the different tiers of Badges.

There is no reason a similar concept would not work in Madden.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #47
MVP

OVR: 1

boosting acc or distance is the obvious way to go but needs to inbuilt to ai for us coach mode players
Old 01-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #48
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

I think that whether they do it through badges or traits or ratings as long as there is more depth and more variation we will be able to feel the difference between the players better.

Whether Kaep has a 45 touch pass rating and 95 thp vs Steve Young 90 touch pass rating and 85 thp or if they have badges and whatever the difference will be there. I agree depth and more animations are especially key to feel the difference.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »