Home

Special abilities in Madden

This is a discussion on Special abilities in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts
View Poll Results: Special abilities in future Madden
Yea 12 38.71%
Maybe if implemented correctly 15 48.39%
No 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #49
MVP

briz1046's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Special abilities in Madden

One further thing I'd like to see implemented is for the dev trait to be made dynamic
Both in that it can change according to that player attaining certain * in career* goals or possibly only within certain schemes
Also tho I'd like to see rookies programmed in such a way to give different rates of progression during their careers ..
Ie players joining the league as slow or normal dev but programmed to change to fast or SS as their career progresses and vice versa
Old 01-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #50
MVP

Gritblitzer's Arena

OVR: 1

I've always felt that what Madden lacks - absolutely not it's biggest issue - is the character that certain players bring to the field on Sundays. It's understandable you can't make everyone have their own traits, but the stars of the NFL are recognizably different compared to the rest of the league. Madden 16 came real close to giving Odell Beckham a little character in his cover year, but not quite.

There are a bunch of real life examples too.

Jalen Ramsey for instance, we should see him jawing with the receivers after every play, or on the line of scrimmage even before the snap. Yet someone like say, Desmond Trufant, doesn't really jaw a lot so he'd just have that sort of plain default character to him.

Tom Brady, he's cocky or at least he is on the field. When he gets hit, I want to see him get up and jaw at the defender that just hit him like he often does in real life. I don't, however, want to see a Blake Bortles get up and act like that.

Of course, it wouldn't really be good if EVERY player was like this and it turned into repetitive showings over and over. But just give the stars of the league character. A lot of other games have and still do accomplish this feat. Why it's not something that Madden has done yet is kind of beyond me.

You can take that to the field like the original post too. Someone like LeSean McCoy plays different than another shifty back like Lamar Miller. I think giving so called "special abilities" or character attributes would improve the game immensely in both presentation AND gameplay. Unfortunately, with the huge push for the competitive gaming tournaments, I just feel like it's something that EA may not be interested in putting the time into. I think presentation (not TV and broadcasting presentation) has sort of just gone to the wayside.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #51
MVP

prey2god's Arena

Hell no at this. Considering every time they implement something new, it's one step forward, two steps back on everything else.

This would be great with NFL Blitz or something arcadey like that. But let's not fix what's not broken because it really isn't broken. Shady yesterday against my Bucs went ham on me when other RBs couldn't. Shady was being Shady.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #52
MVP

Gritblitzer's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prey2god
Hell no at this. Considering every time they implement something new, it's one step forward, two steps back on everything else.

This would be great with NFL Blitz or something arcadey like that. But let's not fix what's not broken because it really isn't broken. Shady yesterday against my Bucs went ham on me when other RBs couldn't. Shady was being Shady.
In terms of the on field stuff, they had it in an older Madden and it worked really well. Yet another great feature that didn't make it to the new versions. I wan to say it was Madden 07 or 08.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #53
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritblitzer
Unfortunately, with the huge push for the competitive gaming tournaments, I just feel like it's something that EA may not be interested in putting the time into. I think presentation (not TV and broadcasting presentation) has sort of just gone to the wayside.
Which is really kind of odd given the types of teams they play with. You'd think that with all the types of legends and different players they play with that both sides would want that. If you're EA I think it'd be a good look to turn that on and see Barry Sanders be instantly recognizable and actually looking like Barry Sanders rather then everybody more or less looking and acting the same. Then as a competitive player I'd think you'd want to also have that differentiation between players instead of Barry Sanders' 95 juke looking and working exactly like Bo Jackson's 95 juke. I think they're on the right path with the tiers but it's just too overly simplistic and universal where it's not really based on the player so much as it is on an attribute threshold.

Definitely with you on the personalities though, so many guys have unique things they do whether it be sack celebration, first down celebration, or whatever and that's the type of stuff that is a really little thing but goes a long way. One of the coolest things about the Xbox/PS2 Madden's was having Dante Hall throw up the X when he scored and Priest Holmes doing his touchdown celebration and they still have that to a certain extent now like with Cam but it seems like with as much personality as there is now there should be a lot more uniqueness instead of 90% of the league doing the Bernie after sacks and first downs.

As for the special abilities though I think they're trying to do that with attributes which I think is the right move. Whenever I think special abilities I think of like the hot spot from NBA Jam or whatever and it just comes with an overall arcade stigma to me. I'd just worry how it would be implemented and that it would be overdone to the point where it would be arcade but I think they could definitely have a place if done right.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #54
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

The rest of us are in a sense held hostage by the competitive space, IMO. Taking two players with the same rating, if one signature animation is proven through testing to provide even the slightest bit more effectiveness than another sig animation, that will be the player that everyone uses.

Competitive players are ruthlessly utilitarian. Uniqueness through aesthetically pleasing differentiation of style is irrelevant to them if there isn't an accompanying statistical advantage to be gained. The players don't really matter, it's just a numbers game.

The CFM crowd, especially solo players, are more likely to sacrifice a lost dice roll here and there for a more immersive, stylistically diverse game. I'm not sure the dev team would run the risk of having unique sigs inadvertently break the ratings threshold rules for the comp players, so moves remain homogeneous according to tiers.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:24 AM   #55
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
By boosting accuracy and ball placement when utilizing the touch throw. It doesn't work so well for Kap, but for Brady it becomes a deadly weapon.
While useful for gameplay, that isn't useful for realism, because we need to SEE that Kaepernick lacks touch and that Brady has it in spades. It can't just be an accuracy penalty for not having touch. We need to see that Kaepernick is not able to throw with arc.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »