Home

Old 01-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
MVP

YogiGarebear89's Arena

OVR: 0
NYG Playbook

Since the Giants have signed a new Head Coach in Pat Shurmur and a new Defensive Coordinator in James Bettcher, what scheme should I set the Giants playbook to? I know Bettcher runs a base 3-4 while the Giants ran a 4-3 for a while now, but he also runs some nickle and stuff. Plus would I just use the Vikings playbook for Shurmur or West Coast?
Romans 8:31, The Apex Predator Mentality
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
Rookie

BB_Dynasty's Arena

Re: NYG Playbook

OFF: Vikings Playbook. The base West Coast is good too, but Shurmur also has some Chip Kelly spread influences from his time in Philly that you may not find in West Coast playbook.

DEF: Cardinals Playbook, I find the base playbooks on defense to lack variety of stock team playbooks. Jets playbook also an option (Bowles was Belcher's mentor in Arizona).

Obviously the switch to 3-4 will be a major overhaul to the roster. This video should help you setup your depth chart with the Giants personnel. It really helped me when switching Bills to 3-4 Defense when they hired Rex (what a terrible hire that was ). This video is from Madden 15, but it still is relevant for Madden 18 IMO.

Last edited by BB_Dynasty; 01-24-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
MVP

YogiGarebear89's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Dynasty
OFF: Vikings Playbook. The base West Coast is good too, but Shurmur also has some Chip Kelly spread influences from his time in Philly that you may not find in West Coast playbook.

DEF: Cardinals Playbook, I find the base playbooks on defense to lack variety of stock team playbooks. Jets playbook also an option (Bowles was Belcher's mentor in Arizona).

Obviously the switch to 3-4 will be a major overhaul to the roster. This video should help you setup your depth chart with the Giants personnel. It really helped me when switching Bills to 3-4 Defense when they hired Rex (what a terrible hire that was ). This video is from Madden 15, but it still is relevant for Madden 18 IMO.
Appreciate this a ton man, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by YogiGarebear89; 01-24-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
MVP

YogiGarebear89's Arena

I wish Madden would add stuff like this to their updates but I also understand why they don't

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
Rookie

SethMurphy's Arena

OVR: 3

As a Giants fan I wouldn't automatically assume Bettcher is going to switch them completely to a 3-4 defense. They just don't have the personnel this season to make that drastic of a switch.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them run kind of a hybrid front, with 3 & 4 down lineman sets. With Snacks/Dalvin both running at DT/DE and a combo of JPP/Vernon running hand down/OLB positions. Devon Kennard would succeed in a 3-4 front as a pass rushing OLB too, but they just lack LBs to make this move in 1 season.

I would think the Hybrid D playbook might actually be a better playbook, then utilize the formation subs to kind of move the players around based on situation.

But, as a fellow Giants fan, I like the hires of Shurmer and Bettcher and hope they can turn this ship around!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
MVP

YogiGarebear89's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMurphy
As a Giants fan I wouldn't automatically assume Bettcher is going to switch them completely to a 3-4 defense. They just don't have the personnel this season to make that drastic of a switch.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them run kind of a hybrid front, with 3 & 4 down lineman sets. With Snacks/Dalvin both running at DT/DE and a combo of JPP/Vernon running hand down/OLB positions. Devon Kennard would succeed in a 3-4 front as a pass rushing OLB too, but they just lack LBs to make this move in 1 season.

I would think the Hybrid D playbook might actually be a better playbook, then utilize the formation subs to kind of move the players around based on situation.

But, as a fellow Giants fan, I like the hires of Shurmer and Bettcher and hope they can turn this ship around!
Yeah I gotcha, I personally love the Bettcher hirr
Old 01-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #7
MVP

YogiGarebear89's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMurphy

Do formation subs apply to all teams or just individual teams, I've never messed around with them
Old 01-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
Rookie

SethMurphy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiGarebear89
Do formation subs apply to all teams or just individual teams, I've never messed around with them
It's something you can do when in franchise mode for sure for your team. It's under your coach tab, you can edit the formation subs. It gives you all the formations for your chosen playbook and then you can edit out individual people. I do this a lot for my RBs in franchises, keeping a good rotation to prevent too much fatigue

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »