Home

ESPN Signs Exclusive Multi-Year Deal with EA To Broadcast Madden eSports Competitions

This is a discussion on ESPN Signs Exclusive Multi-Year Deal with EA To Broadcast Madden eSports Competitions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 01-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: ESPN Signs Exclusive Multi-Year Deal with EA To Broadcast Madden eSports Competit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I don’t get it. In the past, these games haven’t even resembled real games. The players just spam 5 wide sets all game with the same play principles. There is just a decided lack of variety in strategy and tactics.

It’s not so much that I object to them airing the games, it’s just that I don’t understand why anyone finds it entertaining to watch.
I

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Exactly.

The fact they even perceive this to be marketable leaves me dumbfounded.

I think it’s dope that competitive video games are really gaining platform, but Madden’s gameplay is simply lacking when compared to other sport games.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #10
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: ESPN Signs Exclusive Multi-Year Deal with EA To Broadcast Madden eSports Competit

Quote:
I don’t get it. In the past, these games haven’t even resembled real games. The players just spam 5 wide sets all game with the same play principles. There is just a decided lack of variety in strategy and tactics.

It’s not so much that I object to them airing the games, it’s just that I don’t understand why anyone finds it entertaining to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Josh, don't forget, the way we play is boring to watch. lol
Old 01-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Josh, don't forget, the way we play is boring to watch. lol
I literally laughed out loud....well played Roadman.

(For those who don't know what we're referring to, it is in reference to an exchange we had on Twitter with some random H2H guy.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #12
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

It has more to do with eSports and money as whole than anything else. Anybody and everybody is trying to get into them and EA is doing absolutely everything they can to make Madden work because eSports has been the hot thing. Putting it on ESPN should definitely help bump up their numbers in terms of viewers but as I type this there's only ~3800 people watching the event going on right now so it's not like people are dying to tune into this stuff.

Either way it's bad for people like us though for the foreseeable future because if it doesn't grow at the pace they're expecting they're going to dump even more time and resources into it to try and make sure it does and then if it does finally start to explode then it will just continue to be the primary focus moving forward.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
It has more to do with eSports and money as whole than anything else. Anybody and everybody is trying to get into them and EA is doing absolutely everything they can to make Madden work because eSports has been the hot thing. Putting it on ESPN should definitely help bump up their numbers in terms of viewers but as I type this there's only ~3800 people watching the event going on right now so it's not like people are dying to tune into this stuff.

Either way it's bad for people like us though for the foreseeable future because if it doesn't grow at the pace they're expecting they're going to dump even more time and resources into it to try and make sure it does and then if it does finally start to explode then it will just continue to be the primary focus moving forward.
You talk about how small the viewership is on Twitch right now but when the last big tournament got a 1 hr special on the CW Network, not known for sports at all, that one hour special drew 670,000 viewers. And that was the most viewed televised eSport event by over 200,000+ viewers in 2017. Source: http://tnl.media/esportstv/2017/12/2...ogram-for-2017
Old 01-26-2018, 09:05 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
You talk about how small the viewership is on Twitch right now but when the last big tournament got a 1 hr special on the CW Network, not known for sports at all, that one hour special drew 670,000 viewers. And that was the most viewed televised eSport event by over 200,000+ viewers in 2017. Source: http://tnl.media/esportstv/2017/12/2...ogram-for-2017
I know someone that works in the television business and does a lot of business analytics and he said even just clicking on the channel, then away is considered in these type of reporting metrics.

It’s not counting those that are actually viewing what’s being aired and how long they watch.

One trick they use to increase views is they know many people change the channel using the channel up/down, so you may cross CW channel 10+ times during your channel changing, which is being counted in the viewership metric even though you don’t even watch 2min of what’s being aired on the channel.

Another thing to keep in mind also, ESPN has gone way down since the days of old mostly following the Jerry Springer playbook of shock coverage topics/personalities (ie Steven A. Smith etc...), thus the brand is hurting because most sports fans no longer see/use them for their sports information unlike in times past.

Last edited by khaliib; 01-26-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #15
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I am not seeing anything good about the competitive side of Madden after the news..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2018, 09:37 PM   #16
---

TexasFan2005's Arena

Is there at least a small glimmer of hope that we see ESPN elements integrated into Madden?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »