Home

ESPN Signs Exclusive Multi-Year Deal with EA To Broadcast Madden eSports Competitions

This is a discussion on ESPN Signs Exclusive Multi-Year Deal with EA To Broadcast Madden eSports Competitions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 01-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: ESPN Signs Exclusive Multi-Year Deal with EA To Broadcast Madden eSports Competit

I dont understand why anyone would want to watch people play a video game on tv. I play madden because i like football, but i cannot go out and actually play in an nfl game. I don't need to watch anybody play madden, i can just play myself. I guess i am just old and my lawn is delicate.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #18
Banned

Re: ESPN Signs Exclusive Multi-Year Deal with EA To Broadcast Madden eSports Competit

Glad the people who don’t care have monopolized the conversation.

For me, I do enjoy watching these matches, which why I know that the strategy is deeper than folks make it out to be. And whether it matches the NFL is beside the point. It’s strategic and skillful, and games are more varied than the sim games seem to notice.

What I would say is that I hope EA uses this to show full games. Don’t want just highlights and puff pieces on gamers. I want to watch the game with commentary on the strategy. But that’s not what I’ve seen EA do for anything but the finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Glad the people who don’t care have monopolized the conversation.

For me, I do enjoy watching these matches, which why I know that the strategy is deeper than folks make it out to be. And whether it matches the NFL is beside the point. It’s strategic and skillful, and games are more varied than the sim games seem to notice.

What I would say is that I hope EA uses this to show full games. Don’t want just highlights and puff pieces on gamers. I want to watch the game with commentary on the strategy. But that’s not what I’ve seen EA do for anything but the finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think if EA had the choice to do that they would. The main problem is that would require ESPN, CW, whoever to dedicate like a ton of hours to having them shown on TV. For instance today's stream lasted over 6:30 hours and that was 12 games played, which is only half of the first round. So sadly I think the best we will get is maybe the semi finals and finals shown in full on TV in a 2 hour special or something.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:35 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 3

I haven't watched much online Madden but I have seen 2k on twitch. Awful stuff. Just bs. Nothing that resembles the sport. All stick skills. Can't imagine watching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #21
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by truedat79
I dont understand why anyone would want to watch people play a video game on tv. I play madden because i like football, but i cannot go out and actually play in an nfl game. I don't need to watch anybody play madden, i can just play myself. I guess i am just old and my lawn is delicate.

It’s a generational thing I think. I’m 43 and would probably watch reality tv like Real Housewives over a madden competition...or just burn my eyes out so I don’t have to choose.

My kids on the other hand are 17 and 21. They go on YouTube and watch Pewdiepie or Markiplyer or whoever playing video games all the time. I can easily see people their age who enjoy Madden watching something like this.

It’s whatever to me. I wish madden was good enough to be worth playing much less watching. I wonder what happens when something like the oline pancake glitch happens. Think they would air it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #22
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by truedat79
Really? I find myself watching Twitch/Youtube channels or other players all the time. There is a reason monetary streaming has become very popular in the last few years.

RTS games like Starcraft, League of Legends, etc. are massively popular. There are online tournaments that are streamed and covered with prizes in the millions of dollars. Careers can be had in e-gaming. It is massively popular. Especially overseas in Europe and Asia. The US is generally behind in popularity often-times.

If a company can get into e-gaming with any of their games they will attempt it. There is a lot of money to be made.

It is probably a generational thing. I'm only 31. I've also cut cable and move to streaming TV services and the like.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaster
Really? I find myself watching Twitch/Youtube channels or other players all the time. There is a reason monetary streaming has become very popular in the last few years.

RTS games like Starcraft, League of Legends, etc. are massively popular. There are online tournaments that are streamed and covered with prizes in the millions of dollars. Careers can be had in e-gaming. It is massively popular. Especially overseas in Europe and Asia. The US is generally behind in popularity often-times.

If a company can get into e-gaming with any of their games they will attempt it. There is a lot of money to be made.

It is probably a generational thing. I'm only 31. I've also cut cable and move to streaming TV services and the like.
Im 37. I am also not much of a gamer. I really only play madden anymore. Was more into ncaa but what are you gonna do.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #24
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaster
Maybe, but never from me. For one, watching someone else play a video game of ANY type has, in my experience, rated on the excitement level somewhere between the wood-working shows and watching grass grow. More importantly for me, perhaps, it is hard enough my justifying the time-sink required to play a few video games myself. I can think of nothing more wasteful of the precious time given me than to watch someone else playing a video game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »