Home

Microsoft May Buy EA - What Could This Mean for Sports Games?

This is a discussion on Microsoft May Buy EA - What Could This Mean for Sports Games? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2018, 07:14 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Microsoft May Buy EA - What Could This Mean for Sports Games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truedat79
Read the whole thread
I did. I don't think there is a single reason for Microsoft to give up the NFL license so the customers of their biggest competitor can have games, any more than the MLB convincing Sony to the do the same for baseball.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #34
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

The question becomes does the license offer a viable return on investment after shutting out 75 million PS4 owners? How much MUT money is that pissing down the drain in the near-to-mid term?

So I can't imagine they buy EA and instantly go exclusive... I would think it would be a slow cascade of "now exclusively on Xbox 720-A1-xTreme!" or whatever it's called two generations down the road... But for the money they'd have to lay out for a purchase, I can't imagine the beancounters would let them throw all the money from the Sony customer base into the wind.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
I did. I don't think there is a single reason for Microsoft to give up the NFL license so the customers of their biggest competitor can have games, any more than the MLB convincing Sony to the do the same for baseball.

I agree with Jay, there is no reason for MS to give up the exclusive license if the NFL would keep the status quo. That’s the main issue in this hypothetical scenario, which probably isn’t going to happen anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

I could see Microsoft landing something along the lines of a PUBG but an EA acquisition sounds far fetched to me.

Part of me wonders if this with and the announcement that Microsoft exclusives will be bundled in their gamepass, that it’s somewhat of a PR move or goodwill gesture towards existing and potential Xbox owners that they’re are putting forth an effort to close the game quality gap between them and Sony by expanding their exclusive library.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #37
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
The question becomes does the license offer a viable return on investment after shutting out 75 million PS4 owners? How much MUT money is that pissing down the drain in the near-to-mid term?

So I can't imagine they buy EA and instantly go exclusive... I would think it would be a slow cascade of "now exclusively on Xbox 720-A1-xTreme!" or whatever it's called two generations down the road... But for the money they'd have to lay out for a purchase, I can't imagine the beancounters would let them throw all the money from the Sony customer base into the wind.
I agree with this. If the purchase were to happen, I'd bet most games would become exclusive with the launch of the next-gen consoles. No reason making them exclusive now because nobody is buying a new console. If they made the games exclusive with the next-gen launch, id bet A TON of people would make the switch to keep playing those games.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #38
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Wonder if the Madden game would improve? Microsoft has core competencies and other abilities and resources available which offer the potential for an increase in quality for Madden.

Madden could really use a complete overhaul of the coding; at least that is the impression I get when EA talks of deciphering the code already in place. They still cannot provide a thorough explanation of sliders, though that could be EA just dodging the subject.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:30 PM   #39
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Plus a new Dragon Age is coming. They may even consider ramping up a new Mass Effect.

And I think FIFA is the big catch here. That opens up Europe for Microsoft in ways they have never been able to come close to doing.
My god if they made FIFA exclusive the XB1 would skyrocket. People would probably riot too lol

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 01-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #40
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

I see how purchasing EA would be good for MS, but how does it help EA if they go exclusive? They loterally lose half their player base. Sure they may get a nice pay day up front but what about alp the potential MUT money they lose out on?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »