Home

Microsoft May Buy EA - What Could This Mean for Sports Games?

This is a discussion on Microsoft May Buy EA - What Could This Mean for Sports Games? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 01-30-2018, 09:42 PM   #65
kac
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Microsoft May Buy EA - What Could This Mean for Sports Games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
So it's only okay if Microsoft builds a studio from the ground up? They can't buy successful studios?

It's splitting hairs. From is not a Sony studio. Naughty Dog was bought by Sony. So how would buying EA be different?

Seriously, if "fairness" is the issue, gamers and the press should have been criticizing Sony for their exclusives games, not dinging Microsoft for not having enough. And dinging Microsoft for buying EA is hypocritical.

Yes, we would all be better off if every game was multiplatform.
but that ship sailed decades ago.
It's my opinion that it is bad for gaming if it was Sony or Nintendo I would feel the same way I'm not going to continue a debate by stretching the truth and reaching for straws.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2018, 11:42 PM   #66
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kac
It's my opinion that it is bad for gaming if it was Sony or Nintendo I would feel the same way I'm not going to continue a debate by stretching the truth and reaching for straws.

Thatís all good and all. I was just responding to your claim that it what Sony did was different.

And your insinuation that Iím making a straw man argument and stretching the truth is baseless and, quite frankly, offensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies
Old 01-31-2018, 02:52 AM   #67
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
Seeing that they have their own storefront, I think PC specific sports titles could be a potential untapped market for EA. Without a ton of effort, I would think they could make a single player port with an enhanced CFM specific for PC. Don't even have to call it Madden.... could revive the Head Coach brand and emphasize the management aspects with the option to play the games in the Madden engine. I doubt it would significantly cannibalize console / MUT money because it wouldn't offer the same experience. Pie in the sky wishful thinking on my part... but I think it's something that could make them money considering the vast bulk of the product has already been developed.
I've long since given up on Madden on PC. It's not so much a matter of making money for EA as I think it clearly would (XBone to PC now is effectively free), but a cultural thing with the Madden team I think.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:06 AM   #68
kac
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Thatís all good and all. I was just responding to your claim that it what Sony did was different.

And your insinuation that Iím making a straw man argument and stretching the truth is baseless and, quite frankly, offensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wasn't saying that's what you were doing I meant that's what these types of debates turn into

Old 01-31-2018, 08:01 AM   #69
Rookie

bloobloouk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Microsoft wouldn't make FIFA and Madden first-party exclusives. Those games are too big to be first-party exclusives and I have to imagine the licensing agreements block that sort of arrangement.

In addition MSFT has already embraced other platforms they don't own with how they've handled the billion-dollar acquisition of Mojang AB, the studio behind Minecraft. That game already had strong multiplatform success before MSFT bought it and today it's on every platform under the sun.

What'd be more likely to happen if MSFT bought EA, IMO, is a folding of Origin into the Windows Store, an increased emphasis on the development of Windows PC games to better position Windows 10 against Steam, and a focus on the company's Cross Play feature between Windows PC games and XBOX One X games. Whether that'd get a Madden return to PC is anyone's guess, though.
Licensing is one thing and I don't think any of us know the details of EA's deals other than they commit them to producing a game once a year and they have exclusive rights.

However, the argument that the games are "too big" ignores the reason why this acquisition has the potential to happen. The entire purpose of buying EA would be to beef up their lineup of exclusive titles - they are buying EA for Battlefield, Fifa and Madden. No one is going to buy an Xbox because Peggle is an exclusive title.

Microsoft won't stop to shed a tear about the loss of in game transactions from one platform. The entire point of the buying EA is to drag more gamers across to their platform. As soon as they move away from that the reasoning for buying EA (or any other major studio) doesn't stack up.

TLDR; If EA is purchased the only thing that will stop a title becoming exclusive (in time, maybe not immediately) will be the license. They are only buying EA for exclusives.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:51 AM   #70
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

EA is a massive company and turning all of their games into Xbox exclusives would have a ridiculous effect on the gaming industry. Sony would certainly counter and acquire someone like Activision and maybe others... I just don't see this being a good thing for gaming and I'm an Xbox guy. I think having the Show on PS only is already stupid and I would understand Xbox wanting to counter with a massive sports title being exclusive to xbox, but I think gamers benefit most when they can play the games they want on the console they want. Let's hope this doesn't happen...

Also as far as a baseball game- The MLB produces RBI Baseball now and it's multi-platform so anything can happen license-wise with getting a real baseball game back on xbox if a developer is ever willing to start up/reboot a franchise. Sadly, it doesn't look like that's going to happen and RBI baseball is a joke.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:40 AM   #71
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

Meh.... RBI Baseball is what it is... an unashamed homage to the cartridge days. I understand that most of the reader base here are sim head types, and I lean that way myself, but I've had an absolute blast with RBI Baseball the few times I've played H2H with my kids / friends. The game certainly could be better, but it largely delivers what a budget sports title should.

As far as the whole Microsoft + EA thing goes... the more people insist the only reason for buyout would be to make EA exclusive to XBox, the less the deal makes sense. Microsoft, as a whole, not just the gaming side of a the house, is going to have to drop many many billions of dollars all for a company whose market cap is impacted more by Sony owners than MS owners. If they did it, then it's a very long play designed for next generation or two generations down the road. This generation is over for significant hardware growth.

Now growth is getting harder and harder to find, so maybe they roll the dice... But there is NOTHING stopping the leagues / governing bodies for these sports titles from taking their business elsewhere if they feel the numbers favor Sony... so essentially the sure thing here is what...? Battlefield?

Last edited by Nunyerbiz; 01-31-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2018, 12:15 PM   #72
kac
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
EA is a massive company and turning all of their games into Xbox exclusives would have a ridiculous effect on the gaming industry. Sony would certainly counter and acquire someone like Activision and maybe others... I just don't see this being a good thing for gaming and I'm an Xbox guy. I think having the Show on PS only is already stupid and I would understand Xbox wanting to counter with a massive sports title being exclusive to xbox, but I think gamers benefit most when they can play the games they want on the console they want. Let's hope this doesn't happen...

Also as far as a baseball game- The MLB produces RBI Baseball now and it's multi-platform so anything can happen license-wise with getting a real baseball game back on xbox if a developer is ever willing to start up/reboot a franchise. Sadly, it doesn't look like that's going to happen and RBI baseball is a joke.
The MLB liscense is not exclusive Microsoft or anyone else just has not made a game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »