Home

Old 02-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #9
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 17 Vs Madden 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Honestly I thought both games were unrealistic, but I had much much more fun with 17 than I have 18. I played 17 all the way up to 18ís release date; with M18, I see myself stopping after the Super Bowl.

Is 18 a good game? I guess, depending on who you ask. But there are WAY too many glaring issues and flaws about this game, more so than 17 had IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I'm the opposite. Wit the playoffs and Super Bowl, as well as the early start on offseason trades and such, I'm picking up and playing more of Madden 18 thant I have in awhile. Been playing a lot of NBA Live (and NBA2K), NHL and Prominence Poker. But all the news lately has me picking up Madden more.

I will say that at this point I comfortable saying that MUT was not near as addicting this season as last. I think they need to do fewer programs and replace so many alternate version cards with more legends. And I also did not care for the emphasis on leveling up so many of your cards.

That said, I picked an 89 OVR Culpepper the other night, and he was a freaking blast to play with. Been using an 82 OVR Alex Smith all season, and that long ball is nice, as well as his 90 SPD.

Also played the Super Bowl and beat the Pats with the Eagles, so that was fun. I love the new Play Now, although it is just about dead now. I think you can go back and start at some point during the season though. And it will make starting up next season to play during this offseason really easy and more engaging.

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies
Old 02-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #10
Rookie

YaBarber's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Honestly I thought both games were unrealistic, but I had much much more fun with 17 than I have 18. I played 17 all the way up to 18ís release date; with M18, I see myself stopping after the Super Bowl.

Is 18 a good game? I guess, depending on who you ask. But there are WAY too many glaring issues and flaws about this game, more so than 17 had IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
This ^

M18 now has horribly ugly juke/spin/truck animations where defenders who are either in good tackling position or not even close to the ball carrier have this stupid ankle breaking animation triggered. Dudes falling all over the field while the rest of the defense literally starts walking/standing and wait until the animations are finished to finally react. Truck glitch is self-explanatory. Defenders are more psychic imo than last year. QBs about to get sacked finish throwing motion but keep the ball and take sacks instead of it just being a poorly thrown ball either high or low of the receiver. Putting players in motion end up creating completely illegal shifts because for some odd reason 2 or 3 other players decide to readjust when you motion someone. PA jailbreak screens are all a few yards closer alignments. The new weird route playart in stacked formations with guys running horizontal end up making guys run backwards at the snap and completely taken out of the play. Same thing happens with TEs and RBs on routes to the flat or block release routes. They just get stuck in the OL and canít run out of it. Or get knocked 6 yards backwards. WRs react at the wrong times to press and end up taking way too long to get out their initial start because they trigger a press release when nobody even is trying to touch them. And the animation takes too long to carry out because everyone on the field runs at very fast speeds as it is and cover way too much ground. The endzone feels like its 4 yards deep sometimes (especially vs zone) because of that. Itís kinda funny that zone is a go-to defense in the red zone in madden cause you can play tight to guard the run and if itís a pass the defenders FLY out and cover their zone. Yet IRL man is the go-to because itís watching easier to break a zone in short yardage situations. Thereís just so much things that are worse this year than last I canít explain all of it in one post.

Things that are better: graphics (well, the quality of the old graphics were enhanced), commentary (sort of... online CFM is repetitive and seems to get no new content?) and the addition of new equipment. So thatís good at least
Old 02-11-2018, 12:57 AM   #11
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
I'm the opposite. Wit the playoffs and Super Bowl, as well as the early start on offseason trades and such, I'm picking up and playing more of Madden 18 thant I have in awhile. Been playing a lot of NBA Live (and NBA2K), NHL and Prominence Poker. But all the news lately has me picking up Madden more.

I will say that at this point I comfortable saying that MUT was not near as addicting this season as last. I think they need to do fewer programs and replace so many alternate version cards with more legends. And I also did not care for the emphasis on leveling up so many of your cards.

That said, I picked an 89 OVR Culpepper the other night, and he was a freaking blast to play with. Been using an 82 OVR Alex Smith all season, and that long ball is nice, as well as his 90 SPD.

Also played the Super Bowl and beat the Pats with the Eagles, so that was fun. I love the new Play Now, although it is just about dead now. I think you can go back and start at some point during the season though. And it will make starting up next season to play during this offseason really easy and more engaging.

To each their own. I hate MUT, truth be told, but to see more legends would be nice. I like 2Kís idea of adding legends from years in their prime; a Ď98 Shaq is going to be infinitely better than a Ď07 Shaq. If they had a Ď95 Barry Sanders or an Ď84 Marino or a Ď99 Moss would be neat. Again, itís beating a dead horse, but I think if the gameplay was more refined and the offline aspect was better, I might go back to Madden. But my hopes and optimism are honestly in the dumpster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

Madden is NEVER going to be as realistic as we want. Never! Its been how many years now? Everything to drafting to game play will not be realistic to the real game. I see teams drafting a high pick QB the year after already drafting one, trades are still unrealistic, resigning guys arent as realistic as they can be, the game play...... QB fumbles VS an incomplete pass arent realistic.

Its a fun game but those saying you want more realism....you wont get it so either stop wasting your money ever year for the latest which isnt that much different or just enjoy what you have. Hec id even like to choose where to move my team but in 17, you only get the choices they have which imo arent very good. Id never move a team to London or Mexico City.

Last edited by Rayzaa; 02-14-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #13
Rookie

GoBlue7's Arena

I prefer 18 over 17. I am getting some great, challenging games in my offline franchises on all madden with adjusted sliders.

And while it may not make a huge difference, 18 looks better than 17 as well.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #14
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

So let's talk.

Up until they finally released this latest patch.....I was all about Madden 16 over both 17 and 18.

But now that I can actually play the game without the pancake glitch and the stuck in the mud glitch and CPU QB AI finally got a much needed band-aid/tune up (whatever you want to call it) Madden 18 is my favorite version of the game as a complete package. Also making the move to All-Madden has made an immense difference for me (with adjusted sliders of course).

Off-ball injuries, the running game, CPU RB AI (vastly improved), much better draft logic (AI draft logic) are all big deals for me. The game is now a lot of fun, and also tough.

The issue I have is why did it take till February to finally get a working game that I purchased back in late August? That is criminal. And inexcusable. So much so there is no way I purchase Madden 19 anywhere near launch if at all. Just not going to happen. I will wait till at least Black Friday to even consider M19.

As far as 17 vs 18? 18 is a vastly better game. The CPU QB AI right now along with off-ball injuries and coaching adjustments, makes Madden 17 a drink coaster. I can still always play Madden 16 though. It is a fun game and works well. It has better CPU QB AI than even the much improved 18, and penalties work a lot better. I still play with classic rosters on M16.
Madden 22
NBA 2K22
The Outer Worlds
No Mans Sky

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #15
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
So let's talk.

Up until they finally released this latest patch.....I was all about Madden 16 over both 17 and 18.

But now that I can actually play the game without the pancake glitch and the stuck in the mud glitch and CPU QB AI finally got a much needed band-aid/tune up (whatever you want to call it) Madden 18 is my favorite version of the game as a complete package. Also making the move to All-Madden has made an immense difference for me (with adjusted sliders of course).

Off-ball injuries, the running game, CPU RB AI (vastly improved), much better draft logic (AI draft logic) are all big deals for me. The game is now a lot of fun, and also tough.

The issue I have is why did it take till February to finally get a working game that I purchased back in late August? That is criminal. And inexcusable. So much so there is no way I purchase Madden 19 anywhere near launch if at all. Just not going to happen. I will wait till at least Black Friday to even consider M19.

As far as 17 vs 18? 18 is a vastly better game. The CPU QB AI right now along with off-ball injuries and coaching adjustments, makes Madden 17 a drink coaster. I can still always play Madden 16 though. It is a fun game and works well. It has better CPU QB AI than even the much improved 18, and penalties work a lot better. I still play with classic rosters on M16.

Lol. Yup. Gotta play the waiting game from now on. It is definitely NOT worth a first day purchase. Weíve seen that over the past few years, and again, this year was no different. I chose to wait this year for multiple reasons, and was able to purchase a digital version for $40 1 month after release. Thatís the only way Iíd do it. Lol. I knew it would be worth waiting due to the constant patches and whatnot. And, actually, I tend to want to wait till the 1st game of the reg season for the real beginning of season final rosters for franchise.

All that being said, it was still another month or 2 for the qb scrambling to finally be fixed (broken since all of M17), so there was still more waiting. Iím also one of the guys that wants his football fix and wants the most recent thing. But, really, with tuners and patches, it really may be worth playing M18 until next years SB and shortly thereafter it being in the EA Vault. Now, I normally canít wait that long, lol, but seriously, I really think at this point in history with their recent track record of patches, it really may be best to wait if u can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2018, 10:54 PM   #16
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
So let's talk.

Can't blame you, and that all makes sense. That said, I've enjoyed Madden 18 this season. It sucked when some of the patches screwed stuff up, but overall, I really enjoyed the new Play Now mode, and will want that in next year's game, so getting it by the start of the season is a must. And MUT is better the more time you put into it, so I will end up getting one of the premium editions on day one, and start building my team by catching them all.

Sports games have been so much more fun for me once I decided to give up the ghost and realize the franchise modes, even for best in class games like The Show, are woefully limited by how poor the AI really is. I hope everyone gets the franchise mode they really want. That said, the more I hear from what people consider great franchise modes, the less I'm interested in that mode.

Skipping franchise play and spending more time in other modes has brought back those feeling I used to have when I played sports games on the old consoles like the NES and SNES, and, of course, the C64. I didn't need franchise play in any of those games. And there gameplay today issue much better.

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »