Home

Old 02-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #17
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 17 Vs Madden 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Can't blame you, and that all makes sense. That said, I've enjoyed Madden 18 this season. It sucked when some of the patches screwed stuff up, but overall, I really enjoyed the new Play Now mode, and will want that in next year's game, so getting it by the start of the season is a must. And MUT is better the more time you put into it, so I will end up getting one of the premium editions on day one, and start building my team by catching them all.

Sports games have been so much more fun for me once I decided to give up the ghost and realize the franchise modes, even for best in class games like The Show, are woefully limited by how poor the AI really is. I hope everyone gets the franchise mode they really want. That said, the more I hear from what people consider great franchise modes, the less I'm interested in that mode.

Skipping franchise play and spending more time in other modes has brought back those feeling I used to have when I played sports games on the old consoles like the NES and SNES, and, of course, the C64. I didn't need franchise play in any of those games. And there gameplay today issue much better.

See that’s the thing. Gameplay for me is #1 always. And that was woefully bad in Madden 18 with the brain dead QB AI....then the stuck in the mud glitch and then of course the pancake glitch. Now.....the game plays great for me. The best Madden ever. It took 6 months though. That’s crazy.

I love The Show and NBA 2K’s gameplay and their on the diamond/court AI is vastly ahead of Madden.

Both those games franchise modes are also deep enough to keep me engaged easily.

If Maddens gameplay did not need (now 11 patches since they bugged the trade meter in franchise) I would be fine. I make CFM work for me. It’s not bad. But it is not on the level of The Show or NBA 2K and I employ 30/32 team control.....and just handle a few things for the CPU to keep the league balanced and fixing any mistakes I perceive.

I agree AI is always the culprit in franchise mode. And at this stage I am maddened it is not better by this point.

I also enjoy Diamond Dynasty on The Show. By far my favorite card collecting mode of the big three sports titles. And you don’t have to play online to enjoy that mode. It is addicting and a heck of a lot of fun.
Madden 22
NBA 2K22
The Outer Worlds
No Mans Sky

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 02-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Sports games have been so much more fun for me once I decided to give up the ghost and realize the franchise modes, even for best in class games like The Show, are woefully limited by how poor the AI really is. I hope everyone gets the franchise mode they really want. That said, the more I hear from what people consider great franchise modes, the less I'm interested in that mode.
I'm with you here, although I haven't quite given up the ghost yet... just learned to not let the warts bother me too much. I've loved franchise modes since they've been introduced... and I've always loved PC management sims. I do not need or desire these two games to be combined. Just thinking about grafting the hardcore management sim style onto a console controller makes my hands arthritic. All I want is obviously boneheaded AI to be tightened up and maybe ever so slightly more depth in areas like trading / FA negotiations. If they can have the CPU manage their rosters, trades, signings and draft with a respectable level of competence, that's 90% of the battle in my opinion... and I think games like The Show and NBA2K are at that 'respectable' level for the most part in regards to franchise AI.

Last edited by Nunyerbiz; 02-15-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #19
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
So let's talk.

Up until they finally released this latest patch.....I was all about Madden 16 over both 17 and 18.

But now that I can actually play the game without the pancake glitch and the stuck in the mud glitch and CPU QB AI finally got a much needed band-aid/tune up (whatever you want to call it) Madden 18 is my favorite version of the game as a complete package. Also making the move to All-Madden has made an immense difference for me (with adjusted sliders of course).

Off-ball injuries, the running game, CPU RB AI (vastly improved), much better draft logic (AI draft logic) are all big deals for me. The game is now a lot of fun, and also tough.

The issue I have is why did it take till February to finally get a working game that I purchased back in late August? That is criminal. And inexcusable. So much so there is no way I purchase Madden 19 anywhere near launch if at all. Just not going to happen. I will wait till at least Black Friday to even consider M19.

As far as 17 vs 18? 18 is a vastly better game. The CPU QB AI right now along with off-ball injuries and coaching adjustments, makes Madden 17 a drink coaster. I can still always play Madden 16 though. It is a fun game and works well. It has better CPU QB AI than even the much improved 18, and penalties work a lot better. I still play with classic rosters on M16.
This is the truth.I'm glad Armor feels this way about '16 because it still is a damn good game and does many things better than '18 and especially '17.All things considered '18 is finally at a very good place where '17 never got to.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #20
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZoneAzCards
Does anyone feel that the enjoy Madden 17 more then Madden 18? In my opinion I sure do it feels better and runs so much smoother. Reply with some feedback and tell me why or why you donít enjoy one or the other thank you
I think 17 is better. Reason, the AI is just smarter. A lot of the glaring issues with 18 were fixed a bit, but 17 never really had any major AI problems. 18 is prettier. That's for sure, especially on XBOX One Enhanced or 4K TV's ps4/xbox one.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #21
MVP

My perspective of Madden gaming is likely far different than most of you, due to the fact that I'm much older than most on this forum, yet still love playing.

I stuck with Madden 17 and absolutely love it. However, it was my first purchase since M12 so I was naturally blown away by 5 years of improvements, although gameplanning and CPU playcalling took a horrendous, inexcusable and disappointing step back.

The reason I never purchased M18? The game was a mess upon release. If you believe otherwise, that is your right and opinion. After all the patches performed including the pancake issues, M18 finally looks like a worthy purchase. However, since I play on All Pro sliders that fall close to All Madden, I do not like the fact that my user defensive player will "freeze upon switching up".

I'll stick to M17 and see if EA releases a playable game out-of-the-box next year. Just because patches can be added later to a game is, frankly, no excuse to use it's customer base as beta testers so they can make their gaming experience worthwhile 3-6 months after it's initial release. Having said that, myself, as well as many other fine posters and moderators on this forum have been doing that for some time and my deepest appreciation for all of your hard work and gameplay videos.

I hope EA knocks off the gimmicks and deepens the sky (fully flesh out and test existing features) rather than attempt to widen it. If not, more and more customers will simply purchase last year's edition around April, make roster adjustments and know they can play for a full year, without having to wait on patches to address problems. Obviously, this will pertain more to the offline franchise folks than online gamers.

Last edited by edgevoice; 02-21-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #22
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
My perspective of Madden gaming is likely far different than most of you, due to the fact that I'm much older than most on this forum, yet still love playing.

I stuck with Madden 17 and absolutely love it. However, it was my first purchase since M12 so I was naturally blown away by 5 years of improvements, although gameplanning and CPU playcalling took a horrendous, inexcusable and disappointing step back.

The reason I never purchased M18? The game was a mess upon release. If you believe otherwise, that is your right and opinion. After all the patches performed including the pancake issues, M18 finally looks like a worthy purchase. However, since I play on All Pro sliders that fall close to All Madden, I do not like the fact that my user defensive player will "freeze upon switching up".

I'll stick to M17 and see if EA releases a playable game out-of-the-box next year. Just because patches can be added later to a game is, frankly, no excuse to use it's customer base as beta testers so they can make their gaming experience worthwhile 3-6 months after it's initial release. Having said that, myself, as well as many other fine posters and moderators on this forum have been doing that for some time and my deepest appreciation for all of your hard work and gameplay videos.

I hope EA knocks off the gimmicks and deepens the sky (fully flesh out and test existing features) rather than attempt to widen it. If not, more and more customers will simply purchase last year's edition around April, make roster adjustments and know they can play for a full year, without having to wait on patches to address problems. Obviously, this will pertain more to the offline franchise folks than online gamers.
Agree, I am a older gamer as well and don't appreciate the beta testing either.

I hang onto the game for the whole year because I am in the BBGC and I purchased Madden 18 for 11 bucks on opening day.

So, I am glad they fixed parts of the game play for those than hang onto Madden for the whole year, but still no excuses for beta testing the game after release.

Good post.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #23
Rookie

JayhawkerStL's Arena

Iím an older gamer, but I actually remember the state of most sports games when they released. FBPro 98, which many revere as the peak of sim football was a buggy mess. Not only did it need patches, but several third party guys fixing stuff on their own.

The problem this year was simple. They didnít release early videos, so a few gamers got a hate campaign going before it launched. It was worse than other years, but circumstances made gamers resistant.

Yeah, there were issues. Just like every year in every sports game. This year was just special.

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies
Old 02-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #24
Pro

OVR: 1

Surprisingly, I'm still playing OOTB M17 but using the patched M17 profile (yes, it makes a BIG difference...I could write a book on what I've learned about profiles and the system being offline vs online, etc).

I've tried M18 so many times, but for some reason, the CPU offense just sucks (takes way too many sacks), so I just get frustrated and keep going back to OOTB M17. (Oh, and the loss of Coach Mode on defense where I have to control the player for M18 SUCKS for a long-time coach mode player like myself.) Yes, there are tons of warts and stupid things, and there is so much about M18 that I like that I wish I had half of in M17, but the bottom line for me is this: is the game challenging? If the game is too easy and I keep winning regardless of what team I have, I get bored quickly (and I play coach mode, so it's not even me tipping the scales).

It seems I can take a crappy team on M17 patched and M18 and beat anyone (more due to crazy defense), whereas on OOTB M17, I just had a CFM with the 49ers as a 77 rated team and went 0-16. And in Year 2 I'm 5-11. So that's fun to me because it's more realistic and challenging, despite its many flaws and lack of cool stuff on M18.

Still my favorite version was M16 with the February 2016 patch. Best Madden I ever played until the May 2016 patch messed with fatigue and the game got weird. But if M16 had editable players, I'd probably go back and play M16 myself.

Last edited by picker19; 02-22-2018 at 09:38 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »