Home

Time to Overhaul Scouting

This is a discussion on Time to Overhaul Scouting within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 02-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Time to Overhaul Scouting

Imagine this scenario happening:

It is the 2018 NFL draft and we are in the 5th or so round. The Jets are on the board and the GM of the Jets says to his staff "oh no. I don't know what we are going to do. All of the guys that we scouted have been drafted and we still have four more picks to make."

I highly doubt if this scenario has ever happened, yet in Madden, it is a constant thing. In EA, you're scouting options are pretty much either scout some of the attributes on most of the players; or scout most of the attributes on some of the players. No matter how bad the team, I feel very confident in saying that all teams fully scout the same amount of players. Even the guy drafted with 234th pick in the 7th round was researched the same way the 4th overall pick was researched.

First... can we agree with that statement?

What separates the good teams from the bad teams is the accuracy of those evaluations. I'm sure Cleveland spent the same amount of hours evaluating Carson Wentz as the Eagles did but they simply got different outcomes. It is time for this to be emulated in Madden.

My solution: let's do away with this "scouting points" thing. I totally understand what EA was trying to do, but it doesn't make sense. Instead, EA need to implement my method, before I raise investors and make my own game. All teams get the overall ratings of all players, but these ratings are in a +/- range. So Jordan Smith is a QB with an 80 ratings. The range of the ratings are based on how 'good' the personnel department is. If the personnel department is rated as an "A" or whatever, it is a small range; if the personnel department is rated as an "F" or whatever, it is a large range. So for the bad team, Jordan Smith is an 80 with a range of +/- 15. So in actuality, he could be a 95 or he could be a 65... a HUGE difference. For the personnel rated an "a" the +/- could be as small as 3... so he's either an 83 or a 77.

If EA absolutely insists on using scouting points so be it... maybe these points can be use for stuff like being good at evaluating offensive players but suck at defensive player (so your +/- for offense is a 3; for defense it is 15) or maybe the team is good at finding late round gems (+/-10 in rounds 1-3 and +/- in four and after). Or maybe they are good at specific positions. Whatever.... the possibilities are endless.

And the good thing is that this is kind of what happens in real life. When Andy Reid was with the Eagles, he just could not draft LBs but he was good at O and D lines. It happens.

Oh yeah... how do we determine who gets to have a "good" or "bad" personnel department? Well, the better your team performs, the more resources you have.

Of course this system can be tweaked but the point is, this whole thing of "you can only spend so many points on a player" is archaic. That does not happen in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Time to Overhaul Scouting

There are a 1000 different ways to handle scouting; I'd like a bit more depth to it, but it does the job. However, I fundamentally agree with you that a team having no "skill-based" analysis AT ALL on a draft-eligible player makes little intuitive sense.

Even if the three strengths were displayed for all players (without a grade), it would make more sense. Then it would tie-in closer to real life...the scenario, "OK, we didn't work-out this corner, but we know from tape that he is strongest in zone coverage". Then, by scouting, you unlock his letter grade to see just HOW STRONG he is in that particular attribute.

Even a minor tweak to the current process could add a tiny bit more immersion to the current layout.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc629
Imagine this scenario happening:

It is the 2018 NFL draft and we are in the 5th or so round. The Jets are on the board and the GM of the Jets says to his staff "oh no. I don't know what we are going to do. All of the guys that we scouted have been drafted and we still have four more picks to make."
I'm also trying to think of a scenario where a GM or scout is saying "That's not one of his top three attributes, we have no idea what his route running is like"
Old 02-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

I wouldn't mind if prospects had different amounts of scoutable ratings. The highly touted ones have more ratings to view then later/small school ones.

A more dynamic projection system would be nice too. If more teams scouted a player and he's over/under projected he should fall/rise over the season. Even if we keep same system it would be nice not having 5th round prospects with B+ ratings staying put all year.

Either make ratings change/rescout players (think The Show progression bar) or don't tell me a 6th rounder is a stud week 3 and he stays at the same slot all year.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:44 AM   #5
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc629
What separates the good teams from the bad teams is the accuracy of those evaluations. I'm sure Cleveland spent the same amount of hours evaluating Carson Wentz as the Eagles did but they simply got different outcomes. It is time for this to be emulated in Madden.

If EA absolutely insists on using scouting points so be it... maybe these points can be use for stuff like being good at evaluating offensive players but suck at defensive player (so your +/- for offense is a 3; for defense it is 15) or maybe the team is good at finding late round gems (+/-10 in rounds 1-3 and +/- in four and after). Or maybe they are good at specific positions. Whatever.... the possibilities are endless.

And the good thing is that this is kind of what happens in real life. When Andy Reid was with the Eagles, he just could not draft LBs but he was good at O and D lines. It happens.

Oh yeah... how do we determine who gets to have a "good" or "bad" personnel department? Well, the better your team performs, the more resources you have.
This is one of the things I love about NBA2K MYGM where the scouts actually matter. If your scouts aren't good, then you'll get bad info but if they are good you'll get the correct information. The Carson Wentz situation is why scouts need more importance and value in CFM. The old Browns front office thought Wentz wouldn't even be a Top 20 QB, and yet you wonder why they have struggled to find a QB for almost 20 years. The Eagles had the right information and probably wins MVP tonight instead of Brady if he didn't get hurt.

Also to add on to this, not only do the scouts opinions matters in NBA2K but also the team doctors matter as well. Your doctors will essentially tell you a players' injury history and say that based off a guy being injured this much, you should probably pass on him. Imagine having to hire and improve the medical staff in CFM where you can get the right info on whether an injury can effect a player, each year you hear about guys who fall because teams are worried about their injury history. You hit the nail on the head with this one.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »