Home

Best Playoff Game Ever?

This is a discussion on Best Playoff Game Ever? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2018, 02:04 AM   #1
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0
Best Playoff Game Ever?

Holy. Crap.

Madden just delivered one of the best experiences I have ever had with my Dallas CFM. Let me set the scene.

2020 Divisional Playoffs. Dallas vs. Green Bay at Lambeau. Already making for a good game, right? Mind you, I play QB only. I made an undrafted player, worked his way up into the 90s, and overtook Dak Prescott.

The first half, Green Bay keeps us, the 2nd highest scoring offense, to 14 points. Aaron Rodgers torches the Dallas secondary and tosses four touchdowns in the first half. We go into halftime down 35-14.

Third quarter. Dallas shuts down Aaron Rodgers and shuts them out. My QB throws two touchdowns, Zeke punches it in for six with :05 left in the quarter. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a game.

Fourth quarter turns into an absolute shootout. Both QBs eclipse the 500 yard mark and 5 TD mark. We score two touchdowns, that put us up by 8, but with 1:47 left and three timeouts and Rodgers, what do you think happens?

We get the ball with :28 left on our own 25. Incompletions take us down to :21. On 3rd and 15, my QB slings a beauty to Terrence Williams to get us to the 43. First down, :12 left. Incompletions take the clock down to :01.

We drafted a rookie named Pedro Kilgore, who has 95 speed. He’s out wide, and I call the PA Boot from the pistol, and send him deep. Here’s what happened:

GAME. SET. MATCH. Dallas gets revenge on Rodgers for the 2017 Divisional. Here’s the stat-line:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2018, 04:01 AM   #2
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Re: Best Playoff Game Ever?

The opposite of that happened to me in the 2019 Super Bowl.

I'm the 49ers. Playing the Patriots.

I start out rolling. I'm up, if I recall, 31-7 in the third quarter. And then, Madden started acting like real life, and Tom Brady became unstoppable. He completed 16 straight passes at one point. In addition, I get some good b.s. go against me (a couple of ill timed holding penalties, a fumble, and a stupid interception).

Come late 4th quarter, I'm up 34-31. Brady naturally continues his dominance and leads the Patriots to a touchdown. 34-38. 0:33 on the clock, zero time outs.

I take over at my own 27. Start out with a deep out to Trent Taylor for a first down. At the 38, got out of bounds with 27 seconds left. Then, I throw deep to my rookie, a 6'6 90 speed WR (who I renamed Tyrell Shavers, who is currently a freshmen with Alabama). He not only out jumps the defender, but also steps out of bounds. Now I'm at the Patriots 33 with 22 seconds left.

Unfortunately, after a quick out gets me 9 yards and takes only 4 seconds, I get two incompletions in a row. 4th down and one, 10 seconds left. I obviously can't run it. I can't throw it over the middle. And if I go end zone, I only get one chance (because 4th down). So, thinking about what I can do, and knowing that the defense is going to have the out routes covered, I go with the do or die option, and decide to make a throw over the middle my primary read.

I figured they'd be in cover 2 to stop any quick outs, and I was right. Shavers runs a deep post, and I bullet it. The safety gets over, and it's a contested play, and worse, the stupid "jump" animation triggers at the 1 yard line. However, yet once again Shavers catches the ball and breaks the tackle. He falls backwards into the end zone, and I win on the last play.

Very fun game.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
Rookie

Best Superbowl I've ever had was me as Dallas vs Pittsburgh. Starts out with us going up 14-0 Pit comes back goes up 20-14 at the half. After the half Big Ben is giving us fits and drives right down the field and goes up 27-14. We finally get rolling and score again 27-21, Pit kicks a field goal 30-21 with about 10min left in the 4th and we run the kickoff back to bring us within a field goal 30-28. We get a big stop and make them punt and they pin us at like the 7yd line. With about 5min left we start driving, we end up breaking a screen pass for a TD to go up 35-30 with about 2:30 left. Here comes big Ben. He just starts marching down the field, a couple 4th down conversions and he has 1st and goal with less than a 30sec. We get to 3rd and goal from about the 3 and big ben drops back and tries to scramble. My middle linebacker is on spy and goes after him they meet right at the goal line and ben fumbles the ball into the endzone with multiple people diving for it from both sides with my corner recovering it for a touchback and the win.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
Rookie

bravo2208's Arena

I got my heart ripped out last night.

I went 13-3 with the Browns in 2018 and that was only good enough for a 5 seed because the Steelers swept me. I had to go the whole way on the road. @Jets and @Chiefs were snow games. Then I finally beat Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship. I faced the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

Let's fast forward to the 4th quarter with about 4 minutes to go. I was kicking a field goal that would have put me up 27-21. It gets blocked and the Eagles defender kicked the ball a few yards then picked it up and went out of bounds. The Eagles scored and went up 28-24. There's about 3 minutes to go and I get pushed back to my 1 yard line thanks to holding calls. 3rd and 20 at the 1, I drop back, heave it deep and it's incomplete to Josh Gordon. But there's roughing the passer so automatic first down.

I drive down to about my 40 yard line and my MVP QB gets injured. I felt deflated. Kizer came in and completed 2 short passes for a first down. Then to my delight my QB comes back. He drives us down to the Eagles 1 YARD LINE and I drop back, get sacked. Followed by 2 incompletions and the game is over. I lose 28-24. I was DEVASTATED.

It was the #1 offense vs. the #1 defense and I came up just short.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo2208
I got my heart ripped out last night.

I went 13-3 with the Browns in 2018 and that was only good enough for a 5 seed because the Steelers swept me. I had to go the whole way on the road. @Jets and @Chiefs were snow games. Then I finally beat Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship. I faced the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

Let's fast forward to the 4th quarter with about 4 minutes to go. I was kicking a field goal that would have put me up 27-21. It gets blocked and the Eagles defender kicked the ball a few yards then picked it up and went out of bounds. The Eagles scored and went up 28-24. There's about 3 minutes to go and I get pushed back to my 1 yard line thanks to holding calls. 3rd and 20 at the 1, I drop back, heave it deep and it's incomplete to Josh Gordon. But there's roughing the passer so automatic first down.

I drive down to about my 40 yard line and my MVP QB gets injured. I felt deflated. Kizer came in and completed 2 short passes for a first down. Then to my delight my QB comes back. He drives us down to the Eagles 1 YARD LINE and I drop back, get sacked. Followed by 2 incompletions and the game is over. I lose 28-24. I was DEVASTATED.

It was the #1 offense vs. the #1 defense and I came up just short.
Like the insurance commercial says, "Defense wins championships".

Neat that you got a roughing the passer call to keep the drive going. One of those things these days I'm not expecting from video sports games. Sounds like a tough loss but congrats on getting the Browns to the big game in one year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
Rookie

bravo2208's Arena

Yeah, it was the Super Bowl so I guess Madden pulled out all the stops to make the game exciting. Or it could be that I play on 15 minute quarters so those calls are bound to come. That blocked kick will haunt me forever. I woke up thinking about what might have been if I went up 27-21...knowing the AI I probably woulda got screwed another way lol.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
The opposite of that happened to me in the 2019 Super Bowl.

I'm the 49ers. Playing the Patriots.

I start out rolling. I'm up, if I recall, 31-7 in the third quarter. And then, Madden started acting like real life, and Tom Brady became unstoppable. He completed 16 straight passes at one point. In addition, I get some good b.s. go against me (a couple of ill timed holding penalties, a fumble, and a stupid interception).

Come late 4th quarter, I'm up 34-31. Brady naturally continues his dominance and leads the Patriots to a touchdown. 34-38. 0:33 on the clock, zero time outs.

I take over at my own 27. Start out with a deep out to Trent Taylor for a first down. At the 38, got out of bounds with 27 seconds left. Then, I throw deep to my rookie, a 6'6 90 speed WR (who I renamed Tyrell Shavers, who is currently a freshmen with Alabama). He not only out jumps the defender, but also steps out of bounds. Now I'm at the Patriots 33 with 22 seconds left.

Unfortunately, after a quick out gets me 9 yards and takes only 4 seconds, I get two incompletions in a row. 4th down and one, 10 seconds left. I obviously can't run it. I can't throw it over the middle. And if I go end zone, I only get one chance (because 4th down). So, thinking about what I can do, and knowing that the defense is going to have the out routes covered, I go with the do or die option, and decide to make a throw over the middle my primary read.

I figured they'd be in cover 2 to stop any quick outs, and I was right. Shavers runs a deep post, and I bullet it. The safety gets over, and it's a contested play, and worse, the stupid "jump" animation triggers at the 1 yard line. However, yet once again Shavers catches the ball and breaks the tackle. He falls backwards into the end zone, and I win on the last play.

Very fun game.

In what wound up being his last year, Jason Witten came up huge for us in the Championship. My receivers were struggling against Seattle’s secondary, dropping passes, not getting open. Down 14-3, Witten puts the cap on a Hall of Fame career. Twelve catches, 108 yards, and two touchdowns, the last of which came with :14 left in the game. We won the Superbowl and he was able to ride into the sunset a champion.

This CFM with Dallas has been nothing but joy.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #8
Rookie

steve115658's Arena

OVR: 9

Just to hop on this train of awesome stories. I just blew a 17 point lead in the Superbowl to the eagles (using a relocated expansion team). Wentz hit Ertz for a 35 yard touchdown to complete the come back with 13 seconds left to put them up 29-28. They go for 2 to make it a 3 point game and my free safety picks it and takes it back for 2! 30-29 final and I legit feel like I just stole something!
Season 3: 16-3 Super Bowl Champions
Minnesota Vikings
Season 4: Coming soon

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »