Home

Madden Criteria for Player Ratings

This is a discussion on Madden Criteria for Player Ratings within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Madden Criteria for Player Ratings

I don’t know about anyone else on the forum of not understanding the process, but if anyone grasps the concept about how the ratings are graded and measured on the EA Sports scale to feel somewhat accurate in the gameplay, could you break it down please?

We all are aware that rookies are fairly easy to construct ratings for through their combine numbers, but there are specific ratings that I question to how would the Madden crew, base their theory on knowing something such as he following...

Strength - How is it graded outside of the bench press at the combine?
Throw Power - Do they clock speed on throws from film?
Injury - Do they keep record of Pop Warner injuries?
Stamina - Do they keep record of how many snaps are missed?
Toughness - Do they judge a guy’s toughness on being a chippy player?
Spin move - Do they rate a guy on how many times he utilized the move?
Juke move - Do they rate it on how pretty the move is?
Stiff arm - Is it rated on how hard they mush a guy in the face while sending him to the ground?

EVERYTHING is so damn confusing and I (we) need answers!🤯
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #2
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden Criteria for Player Ratings

Throw power is actually the distance on how far they throw the ball downfield in Madden. Not the actual speed of the throw. Which I never understood why its called throw power.

Playing:
Old 02-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #3
Rookie

The ratings are simply 1 man's opinion...nothing more, nothing less. It's a major reason the game plays as it does. The overall rating has become the end all be all of ratings numbers...it's why that number is the focus of the yearly Madden numbers release.
So, whatever they have to jack the other numbers up to to reach what NFL players deem acceptable, they'll do that.
It all comes down to who is the perceived #1 person at each position as to whether the ratings are "acceptable", rather than rating them on REAL data OVER TIME. Otherwise, how can we explain these rating changing week to week...the raw data certainly didn't change. They didn't suddenly lose speed, or catching ability, based on ONE GAME. It's the biggest things holding Madden back, and until they change it, it'll be the same game every year.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by mykelmosinee; 02-11-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

I don't think that's an entirely fair assessment. The fastest guys don't always make the best RBs / WRs. The strongest guys don't always make the best lineman. Some players (rookies, backups turned starters) don't have NFL game data to review... So it's just not going to be possible to do all of this based on number crunching. A big part of any human sporting event are the intangible mental factors that have simply never been easily translated to computer simulation. This kind of stuff has to be subjective to a certain degree and therefore has to have wiggle room for modifications. NFL teams always have busts and sleepers in every draft... The scouting staffs who do this crap for a living screw the pooch all the time... I think therefor we can give the EA ratings guys (and/or gals) a break as well and expect busts and sleepers in their ratings. The fact that ratings need to be revisited / corrected over the lifecycle of the release is a good thing... even if it's maybe overdone at times.

Last edited by Nunyerbiz; 02-11-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReal Milticket
Throw power is actually the distance on how far they throw the ball downfield in Madden. Not the actual speed of the throw. Which I never understood why its called throw power.
Are you sure about this? I've always understood THP also affects velocity, and just from the unreliable 'eye test,' playing with 88 THP Deshaun Watson this cycle after playing exclusively with 94-97 THP QBs the past 3 Maddens, I feel like it's a noticeable velocity difference.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
Are you sure about this? I've always understood THP also affects velocity, and just from the unreliable 'eye test,' playing with 88 THP Deshaun Watson this cycle after playing exclusively with 94-97 THP QBs the past 3 Maddens, I feel like it's a noticeable velocity difference.
You are correct velocity is also affected.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 02-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shylo3716
Juke move - Do they rate it on how pretty the move is?
Stiff arm - Is it rated on how hard they mush a guy in the face while sending him to the ground?

EVERYTHING is so damn confusing and I (we) need answers!🤯
Juke is how nasty and sharply they can juke and cut and make a defender look silly.

Stiff Arm? Yes, exactly what you said.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 02-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #8
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
Basically what i meant.

Playing:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »