Home

Jump into a Madden game, or stick with 2K5?

This is a discussion on Jump into a Madden game, or stick with 2K5? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #81
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Jump into a Madden game, or stick with 2K5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I was never a fan of Dan and Peter, just a subjective opinion, but to me, it was similar to nails on a chalkboard.
You must've hated Madden's commentary until they they got Gaudin and Davis then, lol. That's the one thing I can say Madden does well imo. I really enjoy the commentary, it's flawed and waaay off at times, but mostly I'm impressed with their consistency to update it and the way the game is called.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely things I enjoy about Madden, I wouldn't be here if I didn't, but I also have to be honest and discuss the problems as well.

On topic though, I couldn't stick with 2k5 this whole time. I think Madden 17 and 18 are worth retiring it, lol. APF is a different story.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #82
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
You must've hated Madden's commentary until they they got Gaudin and Davis then, lol. That's the one thing I can say Madden does well imo. I really enjoy the commentary, it's flawed and waaay off at times, but mostly I'm impressed with their consistency to update it and the way the game is called.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely things I enjoy about Madden, I wouldn't be here if I didn't, but I also have to be honest and discuss the problems as well.

On topic though, I couldn't stick with 2k5 this whole time. I think Madden 17 and 18 are worth retiring it, lol. APF is a different story.
Even though it's outdated, I used to like Michaels/Summerall and Madden and some Jim Brown in the studio when EA had some presentation elements, but otherwise, you nailed it. Collingsworth, Johnson, Sims and Tony Bruno didn't move the needle on my end, ugh.

I have my issues, which are well documented with Madden, too.

There are areas of improvement needed all around.

If the OP is still reading the thread, if they have xbox and EA Access, download and try it for free.

Last edited by roadman; 02-17-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #83
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Even though it's outdated, I used to like Michaels/Summerall and Madden and some Jim Brown in the studio when EA had some presentation elements, but otherwise, you nailed it. Collingsworth, Johnson, Sims and Tony Bruno didn't move the needle on my end, ugh.

I have my issues, which are well documented with Madden, too.

There are areas of improvement needed all around.

If the OP is still reading the thread, if they have xbox and EA Access, download and try it for free.
Yeah I finally got an xbox so it'll be nice to try it out first this year. I'm enjoying Madden after the patch so we'll see if they can come out the gate well having frostbite established.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 02-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #84
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite

I'll still go back to 2K5 now and again for fun, but it's not my main football game anymore. Madden has been pretty solid on PS4/XB1. I really enjoyed 16 and 17, and am just diving into 18 now thanks to the EA Access Vault. It's early, but I can say M18 is the best game in the series. I know it was a bumpy road with 18, but the game in its current state is really good.

There's plenty I'd like to see added/changed in Madden, but I realize most of my wants and needs aren't going to move the dial, so I find ways to make the game fun and enjoyable for me. It's worked going on 3-plus years now.

All that said, if APF 2K8 had a season/franchise mode, I'd still be playing it today.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #85
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Well either people's love for a great game from the past has clouded their perspective, or their bias against Madden has rendered them incapable of seeing the obvious that Madden is simply a better game in terms of football realism, despite its many flaws. Were it released in 2004 no one would question this.
Every Madden has/had Its quirks. I won't deny that.

I'm okay with 17 and 18. I enjoy them for what they are.

The fact that I can get significant replay-ability out of 2004-2007 is sad commentary on the current release, and essentially the definition of 'nostalgia'.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 PM   #86
Rookie

OVR: 1

Had 2k5 not been rushed to market I would still be playing it today. Unfortunately, they moved release up several weeks to beat Madden 05 out of gates.

That move forced corners to be cut, such as the cpu draft logic in the first round, cpu roster ai and many bugs and gameplay imbalances(cpu qb logic/interceptions to name a few). Fact is, 2k4 actually had superior cpu roster, offseason, and cpu qb ai over 2k5. The main reason 2k5 has gotten so much mileage is the amazing Finn editor which gave folks the ability to work around some of the poor cpu roster ai and gameplay issues.

But one thing cannot be disputed. Visual Concepts swung for the d%#m fences. Innovation that I personally have not seen in a football game since. What I see now and since from Madden is iteration. Not innovation. Head Coach 09 was innovative. Ill give EA that one.

My FAVORITE 2k5 feature -next to the awesome and immersive weekly wrap-ups- and maybe Im in the minority, was Stadium Sounds. I still have my 360 out, loaded with tons of music. Monday night football, fox, cbs themes. And then sound bites for key moments. Scoring a touchdown during a home game and hearing Too Short Blow the Whistle booming on my speakers as my wife shakes her head in the next room telling me to turn it down. Fun times.

Similar to MLB the shows sounds of the show. I also have that game loaded with custom sound files. Huge immersion boost.

I will say though, that I can watch a game of 2k5 next to M18 and maybe its just me, but 2k5 captures the physicality of the sport, the collisions, the blocking and tackling, better than M18 most of the time. Again my opinion only.

For some reason I cant fully move on from 2k5. I think its the simple fact that when combined with the tv style presentation and custom stadium sounds, and the fact that I feel a game from 2004 captures player
Emotion better than M18, I still have FUN playing a single game of 2k5. Just more immersive to me I guess. But sadly, trying to play 2k5 over multiple seasons just requires to much effort to constantly prop up the cpu ai.

Ive personally moved onto other non football games. Sadly. Im absolutely loving how immersed Ive become in MLB the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-20-2018, 03:31 AM   #87
Banned

ejf0255's Arena

OVR: 0

Now that I got the new rosters on 2K5 I am amazed how good it is. Presentation is still better then Madden. I messed around with the editors and got them to work on my XB360. Great freaking game.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #88
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

https://youtu.be/0UEVUVg7Nn0

Excellent video describing my second problem with madden gameplay. Often times, weight and momentum don’t factor in Madden. Hit a rb square with a defensive end and you’ll often still get run over or see the rb fall forward.

In a game of inches like football this is a game killer for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »