Home

Jump into a Madden game, or stick with 2K5?

This is a discussion on Jump into a Madden game, or stick with 2K5? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 22: 11 Features to Improve Stadium Creator
MXGP 2021 Review
Football Manager 22 Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 02-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #49
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Jump into a Madden game, or stick with 2K5?

I defer to Sage when it comes to animations, I admittedly don't have a keen eye on that stuff.

I will say, for me, and I know many others in the slider forum, that Madden is playing a good/great game of football right now outside of CFM for User vs CPU, and those are facts too.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #50
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
There isn't a better online head-to-head sports game than Madden, especially the past two versions. If your primary concern is on-field gameplay, and you've got friends to play with or you just enjoy playing online against real people, get M18 and don't think twice.

If you are a single-player franchise kinda guy, you will probably still enjoy it, but be warned that the single-player franchise experience is a bit dry.
I'll agree that playing H2H in Comp mode, the flaws of the game tend to gloss over a bit more... It can be a blast to play. When it's all said and done, any horsecrap that lands in your lap from the lacking AI and wonky animation glitches is more than likely going to come back around and smack your opponent in the face as well. Now it's still far too glitch-ridden to be a ready-for-prime time eSports title... but yea... you can do worse for a H2H game. I mean, they starting selling NBA Live again.

I'd personally give it an overall recommendation.. but it's still a rather large and undeniable bummer how stagnant it's been overall from the PS2 era until today, especially compared to things like NBA2K and The Show. I've only bought three of the last eight releases because I know there is no point to buying it more often from a gameplay perspective.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
The graphics are awesome until the players start moving. Compared to other sports games on the market and older Football titles the animation quality is very poor. If the game looked good in motion I think it would cover up some of the other issues. It's like NBA 2K and MLB The Show. Those 2 games can look so life like in motion that I can overlook some of the other issues.

On topic: I'd probably play Madden 18 before 2K5 but I have zero interest in playing either. 2K5 is too outdated at this point, Madden 18 has progressed so slowly over the years and I just feel like the game isn't targeted towards me anymore.
I would play APF but it just looks so bad on my television.

Animation wise, player movement wise, it's still the best football game ever made. From purely a football standpoint, the game gets it. Players move realistically, the ball flies through the air naturally and realistically, and it is not so solely dependent on a set of animations to simulate the outcome; The user is in complete control.

At the end of the day, if you are a fan of the NFL and you're not worried about the intricacies of the game, you can get past the gameplay shortcomings in Madden because you probably don't know any better. Go ahead and pick it up. One of my favorite things in all of gaming is Franchise mode. I love watching guys develop and love it even more when I remember their names through the years.

If Sony or Xbox ever made APF playable on next gen consoles and allowed online multiplayer again, I would go back. There's something special about winning a football game because you put the X's and O's together the right way without having to concern yourself with the eventual inexplicably detrimental dice rolls or animation sequences that work against any user, for any reason.

People in this community seem to generally accept that poor AI is acceptable because everyone eventually gets F'd over or benefits from it, and 2K was never like that. If you got checked in 2K you could always watch the replay, visually note where you came up short, and adjust so that never happened again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #52
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
What makes it the best in your opinion?
The biggest draw is that just about every gameplay mechanic and play type has a counter if you know what you are doing. When you've got two people going against each other who understand how the plays they are each calling work, who know their opponent's play calling and personnel deployment tendencies, and are good on the sticks (especially pre-snap; in particular, individual player defensive pre-snap adjustments are stupid hard to get the hang of), it's a blast. I've had more fun playing Madden in head-to-head games against my friends the past two years than I have in basically any other sports game I've ever played. It's an exhausting chess match.

Don't get me wrong, though, there's some stuff in the single-player experience that still needs work, which is why I made sure I put the emphasis on head-to-head. Not even leaving the field, for example, the CPU AI needs a lot of love and it needs to use the complete toolset provided to users in head-to-head play. One particularly egregious example: one user in my online franchise led the league in rushing with Joe Flacco because the CPU never attempts to use QB Spy / QB Contain pre-snap adjustments unless those adjustments are baked into the play call. Never mind that scrambling that much is sharp cheddar, the CPU opponent needs to react to a user repeatedly scrambling with a quarterback just as a user opponent would, rather than just give up 10 yards helplessly time after time.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 02-13-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 PM   #53
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The biggest draw is that just about every gameplay mechanic and play type has a counter if you know what you are doing. When you've got two people going against each other who understand how the plays they are each calling work, who know their opponent's play calling and personnel deployment tendencies, and are good on the sticks (especially pre-snap; in particular, individual player defensive pre-snap adjustments are stupid hard to get the hang of), it's a blast. I've had more fun playing Madden in head-to-head games against my friends the past two years than I have in basically any other sports game I've ever played. It's an exhausting chess match.

Don't get me wrong, though, there's some stuff in the single-player experience that still needs work, which is why I made sure I put the emphasis on head-to-head. Not even leaving the field, for example, the CPU AI needs a lot of love and it needs to use the complete toolset provided to users in head-to-head play. One particularly egregious example: one user in my online franchise led the league in rushing with Joe Flacco because the CPU never attempts to use QB Spy / QB Contain pre-snap adjustments unless those adjustments are baked into the play call. Never mind that scrambling that much is sharp cheddar, the CPU opponent needs to react to a user repeatedly scrambling with a quarterback just as a user opponent would, rather than just give up 10 yards helplessly time after time.
I can understand that perspective. Is that a definitive Madden draw, or more so the game of football?

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 02-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #54
Rookie

SteelCityChamp's Arena

OVR: 5

I still have NFL 2K5 & All-Pro Football 2K8. I also have Madden NFL 18. I am a simulation CPU vs CPU guy for the most part & NFL 2K5 just doesn't cut it anymore. I used to love it because Madden was so bad for so long. But Madden 18 is pretty damned good. As a matter of fact, Madden 17 was pretty damned good as well. I will watch a sim game on 2K8 at times but I don't load up 2K5 anymore. It's just too painful to look at & the abundant INTs are annoying as hell. The only thing that is still ahead of the game on 2k5 is the Halftime show, post game show & the end-of-week show in franchise mode. The Madden dev team needs to fix the horrible halftime show & add a post game show AT LEAST! Given the amount of data they have at their disposal, this should have been done a long time ago. LOL!
NBA - Los Angeles Lakers
CBB - NC Tarheels
Bundesliga - FC Bayern Munich
MLS - Seattle Sounders
Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 AM   #55
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I can understand that perspective. Is that a definitive Madden draw, or more so the game of football?
I think it's a bit of both.

The appeal of NFL football tactics / strategy / chess match is obvious; the Madden video games literally don't exist without the sport upon which it is built. Along similar lines, a little bit of it is pure muscle memory, which is more of a draw for familiarity than the game in-and-of itself. How many years have people on this forum been calling hot routes and laying out hit sticks in the EA Sports games? My first Madden game was Madden 97, which came out over twenty years ago. That's a lot of built-up institutional knowledge of the series.

That said, I feel like in recent years Tiburon has spent a considerable amount of time building game mechanics with counters at all levels of the game; be it with player-player interactions (ball carriers vs tacklers, receivers vs DBs), play calling (introduction of match zone coverages, Skills Trainer specifically highlighting what passing plays beat which coverages), and meta-game (the M18 reintroduction of in-game coaching adjustments, MUT salary cap, Draft Champions). Even throwing in the necessary wrench of player ratings factoring in to the outcomes of every interaction, just about every gameplay action a user may perform has a reasonable and obvious purpose (a different action it defeats) and a counter (a corresponding action which defeats it). That at the very least makes Madden a compelling head-to-head competitive video game.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 02-15-2018 at 03:12 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2018, 04:27 AM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 0

To be honest I`ve never played 2k5 I was just a Madden Kid since 2000  and I am still loving every version.

I just checked 2k5 on youtube, damn the presentation I have to say beats Madden 18 still, if we would just think in recent graphics. Even with this SortsCenter news, pretty damn awesome I have to say. Also the replay cams look more realistic, which is one big minus point for Madden, weird cameras sometimes for replays.

I hope on M19 we face an improvement on Franchise Mode, I mean I like it, but no big changes the last years so give us something new

But for the people who like 2k5, I know now why you like it, that is how a franchise should look like.

Cheers

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »