Home

player bonuses and not going over the cap CFM

This is a discussion on player bonuses and not going over the cap CFM within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
Rookie

elchristo's Arena

OVR: 0
player bonuses and not going over the cap CFM

i looked around and only found out about XP bonuses but how are bonuses paid in madden 17? I understand that say the bonus is 5 million and the contract is 45 million over 5 years, i pay out 5 million immediatley. But do I pay it out every year? As in 5 million is guarenteed every year and whatever is left is not guarenteed. And do bonuses not count against the cap? So if i give a player a 10 million bonus and a 1 million salary, only 1 million is against the cap?
I never have money to re-sign players during the season anymore
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: player bonuses and not going over the cap CFM

The bonus is divided evenly over the entire contract. If the player has a total bonus of $5M, then it's payed out $1M/year. The Bonus + Salary equals the total contract, so yes, bonus counts against the cap. Go to the salary screen to see their total bonus.

Let's say you resign a player, and on the screen it says:

SAL - $4M
Bonus - $1M
Years - 4
------------
Total - $20M

You are paying an average of $5M to the player per year for 4 years, and every year $1M of the cap hit is from his bonus.

If you cut the player in year one, you'll have a penalty of $1M year one (current year's bonus) and $4M in year two (the remaining bonus). If you cut him year two, he'll have a $1M penalty year two and a $3M penalty year three. Bonus is paid during the entire length of the contract (the guaranteed portion).

Be careful when cutting guys with large bonus's early in their contracts, as you will probably have a net loss (you pay more than you free up). Better to stick with them until their salary outweighs their remaining bonus.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
If you cut the player in year one, you'll have a penalty of $1M year one (current year's bonus) and $4M in year two (the remaining bonus). If you cut him year two, he'll have a $1M penalty year two and a $3M penalty year three. Bonus is paid during the entire length of the contract (the guaranteed portion).
Great post, just wondering if the same principle applies if you trade the player instead of cutting?
Old 02-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Yes, the balance of the signing bonus will become a cap penalty when you trade a player... I believe it will list the penalty amount in the trade window when you add the player.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
Rookie

elchristo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
The bonus is divided evenly over the entire contract. If the player has a total bonus of $5M, then it's payed out $1M/year. The Bonus + Salary equals the total contract, so yes, bonus counts against the cap. Go to the salary screen to see their total bonus.

Let's say you resign a player, and on the screen it says:

SAL - $4M
Bonus - $1M
Years - 4
------------
Total - $20M

You are paying an average of $5M to the player per year for 4 years, and every year $1M of the cap hit is from his bonus.

Be careful when cutting guys with large bonus's early in their contracts, as you will probably have a net loss (you pay more than you free up). Better to stick with them until their salary outweighs their remaining bonus.
so penalty of 3mllion on applies in the 3rd year but then its off the books in years 4 and 5?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 AM   #6
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

Correct. The penalty accelerates and is fully applied to the following years cap. So just like you said, cut a 5 year contract during year 2, the full remaining penalty for the signing bonus is applied against your cap in year 3. After that it is off the books.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:44 AM   #7
Rookie

Ruben2424's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
Yes, the balance of the signing bonus will become a cap penalty when you trade a player... I believe it will list the penalty amount in the trade window when you add the player.

So we STILL continue to pay a player's signing bonus even after you've traded him??? Wow I thought that would become the other team's problem once they got him!
NCAA: Florida State Seminoles
NHL: Florida Panthers
Old 02-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #8
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben2424
So we STILL continue to pay a player's signing bonus even after you've traded him??? Wow I thought that would become the other team's problem once they got him!
You paid the bonus when the contract was signed. This is just how the money gets counted against the salary cap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »