Home

Rex's Reflections on Madden 18 and the Future

This is a discussion on Rex's Reflections on Madden 18 and the Future within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 02-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Rex's Reflections on Madden 18 and the Future

I would like know Rex's thoughts on player movement and player interactions and if this will ever be address, madden in motion very jerky and the pace isn't right, and how ball moves through the air, this alone would make madden a much better game.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I will say, as a sim player, I actually AM happy with the game play. It's the best now that it's been. I'm geeking out.

What I want is game planning, playbook and roster utilization AI, etc. But the game play core is solid to me.

Thanks, Verts!

I agree for the most part. I'm a CFM guy, and more than anything I want better team and game management from the AI. I still think the tackling could use some collision fixes when broken tackles occur, and I still think there's room for improvement in terms of line play, but overall I have not felt frustrated about game play much in this madden, except when the ai opponent calls curl flats every 3rd and medium, mismanages their roster, and lets the clock run on a 2 minute drill..
Old 02-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
MVP

Another note from this was inside the AI change comment he mentions that ratings kind of get the job done, but there needs to be more to differentiate and such. This is something the community has been interested in for a long time and should be happy to hear that there is interest in going beyond just ratings for players.

Last edited by T4VERTS; 02-16-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
I feel like this sentence is going to get picked out without people listening to the interview to get the full quote, so in the interest of accurate discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I will say, as a sim player, I actually AM happy with the game play. It's the best now that it's been. I'm geeking out.

What I want is game planning, playbook and roster utilization AI, etc. But the game play core is solid to me.

Thanks, Verts!
As my posts will attest I like the gameplay more than most in the sim community, but I don't think that those of us who are pretty happy with it are the majority. Yes, we know for sure that everyone wants a lot of improvements in CFM, but I feel like gameplay is still what most sim players still have the biggest problem with so I disagree with Rex's assertion that gameplay isn't at the top of the wants and needs of sim players.

It's possible though that I'm inadvertently adding the always unhappy voices of much of the competitive community to that of sim voices and therefore misreading the sim room, but I don't believe so.

It's kind of messed up that I'm happy that the metrics seem to show that Longshot was a flop in terms of bringing in a lot of new Users, but we need all the suits to realize that the CFM heads should never be ignored in any development cycle.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
It's kind of messed up that I'm happy that the metrics seem to show that Longshot was a flop in terms of bringing in a lot of new Users, but we need all the suits to realize that the CFM heads should never be ignored in any development cycle.
I think the customer surveys reflected that (CFM can't be ignored) this year which is a good thing.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
Another note from this was inside the AI change comment he mentions that ratings kind of get the job done, but there needs to be more to differentiate and such. This is something the community has been interested in for a long time and should be happy to hear that there is interest in going beyond just ratings for players.
Thanks T4VERTS for presenting an interview style that actually allows them to feel comfortable to speak, which can reveal a lot of info if one really listens.

Not if because I know they will do many more interviews with you, but when you do another interview a major area that rarely gets brought up that Madden struggles with and I believe is a key clog into the Replayability of their Core CFM Users is “Customization”.

I don’t know if it’s Legacy issues, feature stability or what, but the one thing other Sports games have at the heart of any comparison discussion against Madden, is that they invest heavily into Customization element to allow the end User to do some things to create that Replayablilty themselves.
- something simple like a User Custom Cam
- providing a color pallet mechanism to adjust Relocation Team colors etc.
- Global Ratings and/or equipment Editor

Madden just lacks in this area to its detriment compared to every other sports title, both past and present.

When I say Customization, I’m speaking of the genre standards more so than some of the elaborate wishes that many tend to request.

A greater “ User Sandbox” has to be injected into CFM going forward, even if it’s done as CDL’s.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Thanks T4VERTS for presenting an interview style that actually allows them to feel comfortable to speak, which can reveal a lot of info if one really listens.

Not if because I know they will do many more interviews with you, but when you do another interview a major area that rarely gets brought up that Madden struggles with and I believe is a key clog into the Replayability of their Core CFM Users is “Customization”.

I don’t know if it’s Legacy issues, feature stability or what, but the one thing other Sports games have at the heart of any comparison discussion against Madden, is that they invest heavily into Customization element to allow the end User to do some things to create that Replayablilty themselves.
- something simple like a User Custom Cam
- providing a color pallet mechanism to adjust Relocation Team colors etc.
- Global Ratings and/or equipment Editor

Madden just lacks in this area to its detriment compared to every other sports title, both past and present.

When I say Customization, I’m speaking of the genre standards more so than some of the elaborate wishes that many tend to request.

A greater “ User Sandbox” has to be injected into CFM going forward, even if it’s done as CDL’s.
I will try and remember this for next time. I have heard things in passing that makes me think the issue is the NFL doesn't like to not have control over things and so giving the player too much customization wouldn't be something they like. It makes sense when we look how the NFL handles things in it's own house as far as having complete control, but I don't know for sure if this is true or not.

Next time an interview is announced make sure to mention this again so I don't forget.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #16
MVP

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

I know that line about sim gamers being happy with gameplay and it not being a top primary want will rub a lot of people the wrong way and I can understand why but, for me personally, I don't have an issue with it because that's exactly where I am. And the reasoning behind that is a couple things, one being that I know gameplay is an every year thing. There's never going to be a cycle where gameplay goes completely untouched or gets little to no attention. To that extent as well the gameplay team has done a good job of instilling confidence that whatever they do add will benefit the game so it's something I don't really feel like needs to be priority for me because I know in one way or another there is a good amount of changes coming. And then secondly when I compare something like gameplay to CFM, CFM is just so much further behind gameplay from a quality standpoint IMO that it takes priority for me over gameplay in the hopes that it can catch up. I have plenty of issues with gameplay but at the end of the day I can boot up the game and enjoy it and none of those issues are going to make me completely stop playing which is something I can't say the same for CFM. I know a lot of people feel differently though and gameplay supersedes everything so I can understand where they're coming from.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »