Home

Rex's Reflections on Madden 18 and the Future

This is a discussion on Rex's Reflections on Madden 18 and the Future within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 02-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #41
MVP

Gritblitzer's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Rex's Reflections on Madden 18 and the Future

I think Sonny hit the nail on the head when he said that there was a 'rubber-banding' effect going on with franchise mode. There are a lot of Online CFM vets right now who are starting to get back into the single player CFM's.

There's no excuse to not have more immersion in franchise mode - ESPECIALLY offline franchise. We were witness 10 to 13 years ago to a franchise era in Madden that was so in depth that people played it for years on end. This of course isn't just a Madden issue, it's an EA Sports issue. Every one of EA's games lacks in the franchise sector and they've been that way since the introduction of their 2008 games. Everything just went down hill when it comes to single player.

Unfortunately that's not going to change, I know people want to see more depth in single player in these games but I don't see these companies ever getting close to their old ways. They're caught up in the online competitive gaming. They should be, it makes them money. Despite what these guys say, I think everything needs to be taken with a "we'll believe it when we see it attitude".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #42
MVP

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

I think something to consider as well is that their renewed focus on franchise likely doesn't just stem from hardcore franchise guys reaching their tipping point but also with them likely realizing that the casual franchise players experience has kind of plateaued as well. The way they've been building CFM over the last several years is akin to making a game with one, super easy difficulty level. They've added a bunch of things to make everything quicker and more simplified to pull in casuals but nothing really to allow them to go beyond that experience either. The only real options you have is whether or not you want to perform any number of the mundane tasks and if you're someone that picked up franchise and it was something you enjoyed and wanted to take a bit deeper and there's just nothing there to satisfy that. It'll be interesting to see the type of things they add this year and whether or not they continue with the dumbed down approach or start loosening the reins a bit.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #43
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Great Post Deuce.

It's a small thing, but something like Play The Moments being more emphasized in the menu than Full Game speaks to a certain mindset regarding Franchise mode. The fact that all of the goals, XP earned, who to cover, and other such beginner information dumps are on by default is over the top in my opinion in its accessible to everyone approach.

As an aside I can't understand why all these Sim leagues play with all that stuff turned on. How can you not be taken out the game when you see stuff like Drive Goals and floating XP numbers over a player during the game.

Something else that I wanted to talk about a month ago but kept forgetting was a couple of little comments that Rex made in a stream when he was playing MUT Solos.

Many here will of course be ultra skeptical and maybe even put off that he said anything, but he let slip a little info about M19 gameplay:

He said that 19 will and already feels a lot different, that it's tough going back to 18 at home after playing 19 at work. He feels that the way the controls feel with the prototype stuff they are working on are a dramatic improvement. He had a play where his receiver warped to make a catch, and he said that wasn't good, and the said "I can't wait to talk about..." then he trailed off. This is probably what we'll find out about at EA Play.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:56 PM   #44
MVP

StefJoeHalt's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Great Post Deuce.

It's a small thing, but something like Play The Moments being more emphasized in the menu than Full Game speaks to a certain mindset regarding Franchise mode. The fact that all of the goals, XP earned, who to cover, and other such beginner information dumps are on by default is over the top in my opinion in its accessible to everyone approach.

As an aside I can't understand why all these Sim leagues play with all that stuff turned on. How can you not be taken out the game when you see stuff like Drive Goals and floating XP numbers over a player during the game.

Something else that I wanted to talk about a month ago but kept forgetting was a couple of little comments that Rex made in a stream when he was playing MUT Solos.

Many here will of course be ultra skeptical and maybe even put off that he said anything, but he let slip a little info about M19 gameplay:

He said that 19 will and already feels a lot different, that it's tough going back to 18 at home after playing 19 at work. He feels that the way the controls feel with the prototype stuff they are working on are a dramatic improvement. He had a play where his receiver warped to make a catch, and he said that wasn't good, and the said "I can't wait to talk about..." then he trailed off. This is probably what we'll find out about at EA Play.

JFsolo i agreed with ur whole post and I remember that comment by Rex and was also super excited..but then reality hit me after searching back to each past title..

here is the thing..Rex is Great salesman, EA is a great sales company..things like this been said year in year out..with no ďhugeĒ major advances..

18 was better then 17, 17 was better then 16..etc..but never have we had that ďhuge leapĒ and we arenít going too..

Itís not EA fault, itís the NFLís fault..they (EA) just doesnt have the time (yearly cycle)..and they work with bad/old code..well cause they have too.. I have come to terms with It..minor improvements is what we will get..hopefully minor improvements in areas we want most..nothing more. Iíll still buy..why? Cause it is the only video game I play at the age of 39..itís Football.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rule #1: Never leave a fellow Crasher behind. Crashers take care of their own.
Rule #2: Never use your real name.
Rule #15: Fight the urge to tell the truth.
Rule #30: Know the playbook so you can call an audible.
Twitter: @318TA621
Old 02-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #45
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Great Post Deuce.

I absolutely agree with this. I dislike the 'hand-holding' options that Madden gives by default (I turn that stuff off....and wish I could turn more of it off....).

BUUUUTTTT...NBA 2k is the total opposite. I am a complete casual for that game....the franchise mode is so daggone convoluted that it took me hours just to figure out basic stuff (the atrocious UI didn't help....menu-stacking is horrible). That and the fact that there is nothing there to aid in league-wide immersion absolutely killed the mode for me.

The two games take polar-opposite approaches and IMO, neither works well for all audiences. As a diehard of a series (as I am for Madden), it is easy to say "screw the casuals"...but having been on the other side of the fence, it doesn't exactly help bring in new players who are on the fence about the game (I won't be buying 2k next year...let me put it that way).

My point...a balance is really needed so as to not alienate your hardcore audience, but without totally ruining the experience for newbs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2018, 09:46 PM   #46
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefJoeHalt
JFsolo i agreed with ur whole post and I remember that comment by Rex and was also super excited..but then reality hit me after searching back to each past title..

here is the thing..Rex is Great salesman, EA is a great sales company..things like this been said year in year out..with no ďhugeĒ major advances..

18 was better then 17, 17 was better then 16..etc..but never have we had that ďhuge leapĒ and we arenít going too..

Itís not EA fault, itís the NFLís fault..they (EA) just doesnt have the time (yearly cycle)..and they work with bad/old code..well cause they have too.. I have come to terms with It..minor improvements is what we will get..hopefully minor improvements in areas we want most..nothing more. Iíll still buy..why? Cause it is the only video game I play at the age of 39..itís Football.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
This is just me speculating of course, but I think that Madden is going to use Real Player Motion Tech that is in FIFA and UFC.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #47
Rookie

bobzyauncle's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Of course people are going to "seem" happy with gameplay when CFM is lacking so much. Doesn't mean gameplay is great, or even good. To me it's satisfactory but still lacking so much.

Ai is terrible at times, movement and animations are still sub par, physics are still wonky and inconsistent, so I can never call Madden's gameplay good. Most people just enjoy video game football, and Madden is all we have for the most part. EA/Tiburon banks on that. Madden is still better than it's been, but for me that isn't saying much.

I remember Rex saying last year that with the conversion to Frostbite, year 1 was about graphics, year 2 they would fix the physics of the players to bring in line with the new engine, exactly what was done on FIFA. So hopefully all those weird animations where players kind of flap about when tackled and when jumping etc will be fixed via the engine. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #48
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefJoeHalt

I can't put that on the NFL. Every other sports game is held to the same time restriction. Tiburon is the only one to blame for anything. Even with time, there's no guarantee they'd deliver something incredible. Look no further than NBA Live.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »