Home

3 4 defense set up

This is a discussion on 3 4 defense set up within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 02-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
Rookie

spmsr2616's Arena

OVR: 0
3 4 defense set up

I'm a giants fan and I never used a 3 4 defense at all I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice on how to set up there new defense since they have the d corninador from the cards

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
Indians Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Re: 3 4 defense set up

Your secondary will stay the same. The changes are in your front seven.

This will be a general idea and not specific to the Giants current roster.

Your LE and your RE need to be 290+ pounds. 43 defensive tackles make great 34 ends. I prefer run stopping 34 ends.
Your DT is a nose tackle and needs to be at least 320 lbs.
In my d-line, I focus on block shed and play rec. Their job it to clog the line so your MLBs can make defensive stops in the run game.

MLB. You need 2 quality ones that focus on play rec, tackle, and pursuit. I personally like 1 balanced and 1 34 tackler but 2 balanced will do, with the balanced playing the MLB spot in the nickle 335.

The big positions in my mind are the OLB. You need 34 pass rusher OLB here. This is where you pass rush comes from. If you are short on these, a converted 43 DE with decent speed can be a stop gap, as long as they don't go much over 250lbs.

These are basic tips, if you have more questions on specific attributes I look for, let me know and I will gladly help.

Currently Playing:
MLB The Show 20
NBA 2k22
Red Dead Redemption 2 Playthrough #3 and Red Dead Online
Stardew Valley

Twitch
Old 02-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
Rookie

spmsr2616's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
Your secondary will stay the same. The changes are in your front seven.

This will be a general idea and not specific to the Giants current roster.

Your LE and your RE need to be 290+ pounds. 43 defensive tackles make great 34 ends. I prefer run stopping 34 ends.
Your DT is a nose tackle and needs to be at least 320 lbs.
In my d-line, I focus on block shed and play rec. Their job it to clog the line so your MLBs can make defensive stops in the run game.

MLB. You need 2 quality ones that focus on play rec, tackle, and pursuit. I personally like 1 balanced and 1 34 tackler but 2 balanced will do, with the balanced playing the MLB spot in the nickle 335.

The big positions in my mind are the OLB. You need 34 pass rusher OLB here. This is where you pass rush comes from. If you are short on these, a converted 43 DE with decent speed can be a stop gap, as long as they don't go much over 250lbs.

These are basic tips, if you have more questions on specific attributes I look for, let me know and I will gladly help.
Thank you very much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-20-2018, 12:27 AM   #4
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Good luck, I've tried rolling with a 3-4 defense with the Bears in the past two Maddens after using a 4-3 going all the way back to Madden 92 and it was a disaster, I usually have one of the worst defenses in the league. Then I convert my guys to a 4-3 and I somehow become a top ten defense instantly
Old 02-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
Pro

Devaster's Arena

I do want to mention that for 99 size 3-4 OLB's you want them to be at least 6'3" and at least 260lbs. 1lb below 260 will drop the size rating below 99.

If you want 99 size 3-4 DE's you want them to be at least 6'4" and at least 300lbs.

For NT you want at least 6'3" and 350+ lbs for 99 size. But you will still get 98 size rating with a weight above 325lbs.

I will edit my 3-4 DE's to be 300lbs or as close to it as possible, but won't touch if they are over. I edit my OLB's to be at least 260lbs. For the NT I only bump them up above 325lbs. Sometimes you will find one in the draft close to 350, but I don't think I've ever drafted one with a weight of at least 350lbs. I think some of these size ratings are unrealistic, especially in regards to weight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 AM   #6
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

People give too much weight to 4-3 vs 3-4. Many times it doesn't really matter at all.

3-4 Predator is a 4-3 Under. Same personnel, same assignments. The difference is that the 4-3 RE is listed as a 3-4 ROLB in the predator.

From my observations, the guys that struggle running a 3-4 don't understand this key fact. Gap assignments are what you should be looking at, not 3-4/4-3. Its been a while since I used a 3-4, but I believe "3-4 normal" in Madden is the original 2 gap "double bubble" defense. That plays out differently than a 3-4 predator.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #7
Rookie

I made me a Saints offense and tried to convert to 3-4 over one offseason.

First game hosting the rams. Lost 38-14, gave up 548 total yards.

Familiar faces.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
Pro

Devaster's Arena

You really need a good pair of MLB's for it to work well in Madden in my opinion. I lucked into drafting a Quick development 76 or so OVR OLB that I converted to MLB in my 2nd season of my CFM. To go along with my rookie MLB that I began my CFM with. And they need to be sideline to sideline LB's. At least one of them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »