Home

Does madden want a realistic game?

This is a discussion on Does madden want a realistic game? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #113
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Does madden want a realistic game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
What about movement in the pocket or scrambling, which affects that time in the other direction?

If you watch a pass rush, I’d counter, if the qb were to sit like a statue, he’d have 3 seconds, 4 at best before he gets some pressure. But they step up, which buys them a second or so.
I understand what you are saying... and I don't disagree... nobody wants a game where you can just stand still forever. I just don't want a situation where the pass rush flip flops and becomes unrealistic to the opposite extreme. Last I read up on it, I think it was a post on Pro Football Focus... something like 70-80% of all passes come from a clean pocket / no pressure. I'm not sure if stepping up or sliding over in the pocket is considered pressure or not. A QB might sense that the pocket has shrunk by a yard on his left side, he takes a side step to compensate. Doesn't mean he is in immediate danger of being hit / sacked.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #114
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I thought I drop this in here since PFF was brought up, just as a funny.

And D Randall chimes in with off season banter:

All theses fake football fans know nun about football .... they always relate to pro football focus
Old 03-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #115
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

This was posted in the MLB forum, if you haven't heard, 3 weeks before the game comes out, they decided to take out online franchise mode.

Rightfully so, people are really upset it was taken out, even people that don't even play online.

This post could fit into a lot of similar post in the Madden forum:

I couldn't careless about online franchise but i don't buy their argument for leaving it out. Priority is and will always be DD and their micro transactions. Remember, out of franchise, RTTS, and DD, they chose DD to overhaul first and every year they will continue to work on it while franchise will get small changes until they are finished with it. Hopefully by then EA or 2K brings back MLB cause I'm ready to move on from Matt V and this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #116
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I mean ability can be looked at two ways. They either don't have the ability due to the talent at Tiburon, or they don't have the ability due to EA dictating what can and can't be fixed or added to the game. Personally I think it's both. I'm not questioning their passion, but I am questioning their talent and direction. Rex, Clint, Cam, Ian, Phil, whoever can say what they want. The product always speaks for itself.
Totally agree here no matter what the reason is the product quality has been what it is for years now. They can sort out the reasons themselves all I have in front of me is a game I do not enjoy and is no longer part of my yearly purchases

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Old 03-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #117
Pro

triplechin's Arena

My take on the realism aspect is that people overestimate the resistance to realism in some aspects. I see competitive players complaining about defensive holding and stuff and that is fine I don't get why it can't be turned on for sim mode and turned off for comp mode?

But I think something like having a realistic pocket would be welcome or tolerated by everyone. Sim guys are obviously happy and competitive guys are just there to find the most efficient game mechanics that lead to success. If rolling out with Cam and a Bo Jackson QB isn't as effective as playing in the pocket with Tom the GOAT and Dan Marino then they will adjust and play in the pocket. Don't think there would be any uprising over rolling out after an adjustment period. I think it is a poor excuse to use comp as a reason to not make the game more realistic in most gameplay aspects.

Sim is about playing and seeing a realistic product on the field. Competitive is about taking advantage of game mechanics. These are not always mutually exclusive. I can have a realistic pocket for my sim style and the comp guys can take advantage of sitting in that pocket. Sure, the separate playstyles are nice for things like penalties and catch tuning where the communities truly disagree, but I think the styles can coexist a lot more than we say.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Old 03-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #118
Pro

triplechin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
The thing is, gameplay is what's difficult to program. The real time embedded part of the game. Getting the plays, players to move realistically and balancing the outcome to create realistic statistics.

Creating a realistic franchise mode would be much easier. The hardest part of creating a franchise mode would be balancing progression/regression and roster management AI for CPU teams (resigning players, free agency, drafting, cutting players). Creating realistic franchise abstractions should be MUCH easier than gameplay mechanics.

The fact that they (EA/Tib) created such fisher price arcade franchise mechanics tells me they just don't care at all about realism.

We have people in this thread saying that franchise realism doesn't matter and is impossible even though other sports games have achieved just that, and we should PRETEND the madden fisher price franchise arcade mechanics are realistic. Talk about an immersion killer.
Right, the lack of improvement in franchise mode, which is supposed to replicate an NFL season more than anything else, shows the lack of vision, talent, and effort.

Maybe it is the suits, maybe it is the old supposedly trash Madden 06 code, but whatever the reason it doesn't fly with me. Looman came from head coach and was supposed to save the mode and make it so deep, complex, and interesting but instead introduced XP and set the mode back 10 years. Frustrating

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Old 03-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #119
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
Right, the lack of improvement in franchise mode, which is supposed to replicate an NFL season more than anything else, shows the lack of vision, talent, and effort.

Maybe it is the suits, maybe it is the old supposedly trash Madden 06 code, but whatever the reason it doesn't fly with me. Looman came from head coach and was supposed to save the mode and make it so deep, complex, and interesting but instead introduced XP and set the mode back 10 years. Frustrating
I think it's the suits. You've got the core game, modes tied to the core that generate revenue from whales, modes tied to the core that don't attract whales. I know where I'd be investing my development money if I was a suit and wanted to impress the higher ups.... and it ain't paying somebody to translate the CBA to figure out how to make restricted free agency work in offline CFM. I'd love to see it... but it is what it is.

As far as the older legacy franchise modes.... Maybe my memory isn't what it used to be... but the CPU still progresses players the way it always did... at least the way I remember from the PS2/PC days from 10+ years ago. If your guy had a good potential rating and a good season, his OVR went up... typically from AWR boosts. (I know there was the potential rating on the PC versions, not sure if that was on the consoles or not. Most of my old school play was on PC before it was axed). I don't recall base physical attributes getting bumped... or even stuff like SAC/MAC/DAC or MCV/ZCV all that often. If you leave the CPU to it's own devices with the XP system, players get the same basic results as they move from season to season... mental boosts leading to OVR rising. I don't see a big practical change.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #120
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

They want whatever their hardcore online players want.

And that is the trend of the big three sports games. (NBA, MLB, NFL).

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »