Home

Does madden want a realistic game?

This is a discussion on Does madden want a realistic game? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Does madden want a realistic game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
Madden never was and never will be a true simulation of the sport. If likes of Mariota and Vick end up as better QBs/football players in the game, it tells you everything. I mean take a look at any of the competitive Madden tournaments and literally every person has likes of Mariota, Vick, Wentz or Randall Cunningham as their QB (in the earlier years it used to be Kaepernick).
If that's what they want their game to be, more power to them!

Obviously it's working for them, their shareholders, and a good chunk of their fanbase.

It's not the game I want though. Unless the exclusive license goes away, I strongly believe the wants of many Madden-lifers will never see the light of day.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
You have a good point, but besides accuracy, the most important parts of great quarterbacking in rea life are the ability to read a defense quickly, pocket presence, and the ability to throw with anticipation. 75% or more of what makes a good qb is something that can’t really be simulated with ratings.

If they made things like release speed actually matter, that could help, but then users would just adjust their timing of pressing the throw button.

In other words, when playing as Kaepernick, the user can give him what amounts to the video game version of Brady’s vision and mind. The only way to “fix” this is to UNREALISTICALLY OVERCOMPENSATE with ratings like accuracy and consistency of throw.

Or by making pass rushers and people in defenses cover they way they should. That way people have to anticipate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 02:19 PM   #11
MVP

Koosa1027's Arena

The shield, which is the NFL has also made the devs take ALOT of stuff out as well as blocked them from putting stuff in the game. EA has to get permission from the league to do ANY and EVERYTHING in this game. EA holdS the nfl license so they technically work for THE NFL. I read an article on this a while back, I will try to find it and post it here. Still no excuse for the game being the way it is though, gameplay should be rop knotch by now. As long as THE NFL has the last say on what is and is not in the game, it doesn't matter what company makes an NFL game, they will be handcuffed by the league just like Madden is, so even if 2K made another football game, as long as it's under the NFL License they will have to abide by the same rules and guidelines as EA.

EDIT: Found the article...
https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...res-nfl-remove

~Koosa10:27~
SIM is a MINDSET...Don't cheat the game and you'll get better results ~Koosa10:27~

Last edited by Koosa1027; 02-22-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I think the team absolutely wants an accurate representation of NFL football.

I realize that they also need to balance realism with "fun factor" and sometimes the perceived fun factor will win out.

But hey, its easier to say EA only cares about catering to casual gamers.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #13
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...stick-2k5.html

Similar thread.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:39 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 18

With Madden it’s an -ish game:

Realistic-ish
Simulation-ish
Arcade-ish

Basically it’s stuck in limbo unsure of what it truly wants to be...so it’s not truly good in one area, but just average and “fun-ish”.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I think the team absolutely wants an accurate representation of NFL football.

I realize that they also need to balance realism with "fun factor" and sometimes the perceived fun factor will win out.

But hey, its easier to say EA only cares about catering to casual gamers.

I wouldn’t mind a game that allows people who want to play an arcade type game. I just hate that it’s at the expense of someone who knows what the hell they’re doing. I feel like Bill Belichick should be able to beat all of us handily, however does anyone actually believe it would happen that way.

Plus to the person who said the NFL won’t let them do some stuff. That’s no excuse for them to screw up inside and outside zone which they literally have by name. Any football book will tell you how to block it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
This is true ...probably Maddens biggest flaw gameplay wise in my opinion is it's inability to portray or adequately differentiate football IQ/ smarts or however you wish to phrase it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
You have a good point, but besides accuracy, the most important parts of great quarterbacking in rea life are the ability to read a defense quickly, pocket presence, and the ability to throw with anticipation. 75% or more of what makes a good qb is something that can’t really be simulated with ratings.

If they made things like release speed actually matter, that could help, but then users would just adjust their timing of pressing the throw button.

In other words, when playing as Kaepernick, the user can give him what amounts to the video game version of Brady’s vision and mind. The only way to “fix” this is to UNREALISTICALLY OVERCOMPENSATE with ratings like accuracy and consistency of throw.
My solution to the problem would be to give QBs like Brady, Brees, Montana, Manning etc. extra time in the pocket by making pass rush sort of delayed based on certain traits (maybe pocket awareness or pocket passer?)

As an example let's say pass rush gets to a QB with pocket awareness or pocket passer rating of 80 in 2.5 secs, for a QB with awareness of 98 (Brady) the pass rush will get to him on an average in 4 secs. In a way you are simulating the real life awareness and smarts of somebody like Brady by giving the user who is controlling Brady more time to throw. Thus if the user plays with Mariota he will only get 2-2.5 secs to throw before the pass rush gets to him on an average thereby giving the users who opt for Bradys, Mannings & Montanas an incentive.

Last edited by Alfie; 02-22-2018 at 09:07 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »