Home

Rex's Reflections on Madden 18 and the Future

This is a discussion on Rex's Reflections on Madden 18 and the Future within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2018, 02:47 AM   #1
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Rex's Reflections on Madden 18 and the Future

Good questions asked by 4 Verts.

I didn't like when Rex said that he thought that Sim players were pretty satisfied with gameplay.

Loved the questions concerning the homogenization of CPU gameplay and playcalling. Rex's answer made sense, but it's a matter of what new AI pieces will actually get in this year. It can't be zero, some new CPU AI behaviors have to make it into M19.

I'm inferring this to a certain extent, but clearly despite Longshot's critical acclaim, it didn't really succeed in bringing in a lot of new users, and that Madden 18 was propped up primarily by core users especially CFM, so hopefully this will be the impetus for Franchise getting it due respect resource wise next year and every year from now on.

Also hopefully all the analytics that he has on how detrimental the legacy CPU issues are to long term enjoyment of the game can get them more time to fix them by the suits.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2018, 03:37 AM   #2
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Rex's Reflections on Madden 18 and the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I didn't like when Rex said that he thought that Sim players were pretty satisfied with gameplay.
I feel like this sentence is going to get picked out without people listening to the interview to get the full quote, so in the interest of accurate discussion:

Quote:
"A lot of sim players are actually pretty happy with the gameplay. Obviously they want more features, they want more control, they want more depth...but by and large, the majority of simulation players mainly just talk about how much more depth and immersion they want in franchise. So I don't think, from what we've heard, gameplay isn't in the top of their primary wants and needs."
Old 02-16-2018, 03:44 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
I feel like this sentence is going to get picked out without people listening to the interview to get the full quote, so in the interest of accurate discussion:
Thank you for providing clarity. I actually agree 100% with what he said. Hopefully Madden 19 has a heavy focus on Franchise
Old 02-16-2018, 04:47 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondsolution
Hopefully Madden 19 has a heavy focus on Franchise

I hope so to... but we all knew where the Money comes from ... MUT :-/
Old 02-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 0

I threw a couple of my personal thoughts on twitter this morning, but I'll add them here for anyone who doesn't follow.
  • It sounds like squads is here to stay in M19 and play a friend is probably going to be there along with some other improvements to give it more staying power.
  • Thought the passing accuracy meter example was an interesting behind the scenes look at the development process. People think what we see in game is what they worked on but it pulls back the curtain to the fact that there is a bunch of work that sometimes doesn't make it in.
  • Everyone will go to "Sim players are happy with game play". At face value it is cringe worthy, but in the context of everything else said I'm okay with it. Relative to lack of depth of CFM, which Rex acknowledged, I'm pretty happy with game play which I believe was his point.
  • With that said he went on to mention the issues inside AI and the need for advancements to give it a more realistic feel. He points out things on their dev road map for game play pertaining to AI but the question is when? The first step is that it's on the plans and that is good.

Another observation I didn't tweet, I really don't think Rex is happy about Long Shot haha. When I asked him about it he tried to respond as "nicely" as he could without flat out saying it took things away from more important stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

so picking that quote

i play offline coach mode cfm, i dont think you can be more sim. why do i have to be the kicker or punter? and why do i have to press a button form the highlighted player i default to, for all plays on defence because otherwise they stand still. that wasnt in m17. am i allowed to criticise his comment in that context with my examples? because the latter is getting old and more than a little annoying.

anything else on gameplay i cant comment given that the pancake glitch was only just fixed so allegedly from then gameplay is as it should be on default sliders ... i have to experience that before i can comment fairly. o wait im not playing m18 as the trade glitch appeared just as im about to enter the offseason and frankly i have better things to do than be booted back to main menu constantly from trade screen. and if you think i shoudnt be trading, how many roster changes did Pete Carroll do in his first year at the seahawks ...
Old 02-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #7
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
I threw a couple of my personal thoughts on twitter this morning, but I'll add them here for anyone who doesn't follow.
  • It sounds like squads is here to stay in M19 and play a friend is probably going to be there along with some other improvements to give it more staying power.
  • Thought the passing accuracy meter example was an interesting behind the scenes look at the development process. People think what we see in game is what they worked on but it pulls back the curtain to the fact that there is a bunch of work that sometimes doesn't make it in.
  • Everyone will go to "Sim players are happy with game play". At face value it is cringe worthy, but in the context of everything else said I'm okay with it. Relative to lack of depth of CFM, which Rex acknowledged, I'm pretty happy with game play which I believe was his point.
  • With that said he went on to mention the issues inside AI and the need for advancements to give it a more realistic feel. He points out things on their dev road map for game play pertaining to AI but the question is when? The first step is that it's on the plans and that is good.

Another observation I didn't tweet, I really don't think Rex is happy about Long Shot haha. When I asked him about it he tried to respond as "nicely" as he could without flat out saying it took things away from more important stuff.
Thank you T4Verts, this was a good interview, no doubt.

My take from it is that CFM will have more love moving forward.

Thank you for asking user vs cpu questions, appreciate it.

Last edited by roadman; 02-16-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I will say, as a sim player, I actually AM happy with the game play. It's the best now that it's been. I'm geeking out.

What I want is game planning, playbook and roster utilization AI, etc. But the game play core is solid to me.

Thanks, Verts!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »