Home

3-4/4-3 Defensive Screen

This is a discussion on 3-4/4-3 Defensive Screen within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
3-4/4-3 Defensive Screen

I'm sure this has been asked before but is there any way to change the defensive screen in the franchise menu? Even if I run a 3-4 the depth chart screen (that shows all the players) stays in a 4-3 look. I prefer to do my changes there so I can physically see the lineup but I've never been able to change it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Banned

Re: 3-4/4-3 Defensive Screen

Make sure your scheme is set to 34
Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDUB14
I'm sure this has been asked before but is there any way to change the defensive screen in the franchise menu? Even if I run a 3-4 the depth chart screen (that shows all the players) stays in a 4-3 look. I prefer to do my changes there so I can physically see the lineup but I've never been able to change it.
The only way to change this is without a custom HC I think. I'm just happy my Team Goals are based on my 3-4 Defensive Scheme and not the 4-3 scheme.

I tested this quite a bit when the game first released. Although each team might be locked into that defensive scheme for the in-game preview of the team's defense regardless of your chosen coaching schemes. I'll have to check now that I have quite a few teams with new HC's and different schemes in my 5th year in my league.

I'm using a custom HC with the Eagles and have an Attacking 3-4 scheme and 3-4 personnel archetypes chosen. When I play a game vs the CPU and it shows me defense on the preview it still shows me as having a 4-3 front instead of a 3-4. Everything else is 3-4 for me though. I think that is also why my 2nd DT's Team Goals are so high and also why my 2nd MLB's Team Goals are too low.

Last edited by Devaster; 02-24-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Okay, here is something I recently found out while investigating this further. I've been using a 2nd account to fix some coaching schemes in my solo Cloud CFM to account for new incoming coaches after previous ones were fired. These new CPU generated coaches have random playbook combinations and often times they don't match the team's previous offensive/defensive schemes, in addition to personnel archetypes that don't match their new schemes.

If a non-CPU generated HC is fired and joins another team that coach will bring over their playbooks and that is it. However, the offensive/defensive schemes and personnel archetypes won't change unless you physically invite another user and change them yourself. Time consuming, but these personnel archetypes remain unchanged once you adjust them for a previous HC. I have previous coach John Harbough now coaching the Panthers in my solo CFM and he brought over his playbooks and offensive/defensive schemes. I went in and changed all the personnel archetypes to fit a 3-4 defense and they remained that way. Same goes for Jack Del Rio who is now coaching the Titans.

However, for CPU generated HC's this isn't the case. If you go in with another user account to edit the personnel archetypes of a CPU generated HC the changes will not stick once you remove that user from the league. So editing all the CPU generated HC schemes for CPU controlled teams won't hold. Since you can't change the schemes and personnel archetypes for those teams with CPU generated HC's the only option is to change the playbook to match that of the team's schemes and personnel archetypes. One example is the Jets in my CFM. They were a 3-4 defensive under Bowles. Under their new HC they were a Attacking 4-3 with Doug Pederson's defensive PB. So I simply adjust the CPU generated HC's defensive PB to Bowles again and the scheme to Attacking 3-4.

I also had to adjust the PB's of several CPU generated HC's like the Cardinals that wanted to go with a 4-3 PB back to a 3-4 PB. And the Chiefs to a 3-4 PB as well with their new HC.

Last edited by Devaster; 02-26-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Interestingly, Your scheme doesn’t matter in this regard. What you have to do is select a default playbook that is based on a 3-4 in the coach settings, and your depth chart will update to the new look. If your using a custom playbook, I would assume that the base playbook that you select determines what the depth chart looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

If you use a custom book, it will show your defense as a 4-3, regardless of what base your playbook is. I experimented a while ago and can't remember for sure if it's offense or defense, but I think it's the custom offensive playbook that messes up how your defensive starting lineup appears

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »