Home

CB Skills/Traits

This is a discussion on CB Skills/Traits within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: CB Skills/Traits

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Posters aren’t doing a good job in noting what Play Style they’re on which has a major impact on what may be going on during gameplay.

Comp uses those defined Threshold levels within the POS ratings to impact outcomes. (no dice-rolls)

SIM/Arcade uses Delta (dif between interacting ratings) to impact dice-rolls of a win-chance Animation/outcome occurring.
- the bigger the Delta, the greater the win-chance
- 100% outcomes happening needs around a 50pt diff (ie 40 PBK vs 90 FMV) which doesn’t happen unless manually done.

Arcade is the sleeper mode that gets ignored due to its name and mainly a lack of understanding of what really goes on with this setting.
- with right sliders to balance against how the mode sets the game up, you can really get some good/challenging play from the AI side.
Any info on how to build truly shutdown corners? I fee like I have had cornerbacks that are 99 rated and still couldn't stop an out or slant route from 80 rated receivers on ta regular basis.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #10
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
Any info on how to build truly shutdown corners? I fee like I have had cornerbacks that are 99 rated and still couldn't stop an out or slant route from 80 rated receivers on ta regular basis.
Playing CPU or humans?

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 03-12-2018, 11:50 PM   #11
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
You can ameliorate it to a certain extent with slider adjustments, but yes even on sim mode receivers are able to create artificially high amounts of separation on most man coverage plays regardless of their various delta deficits. Sometimes it's because of warping, but most of the time it's through inexplicable movements or non-movements by defenders.

IMO this is done intentionally for several reasons. One, is because of the decision to tone down Aggressive catch too much. Receivers are now way too soft when trying to make a catch with contact, so they need to be more open to catch the ball. Another reason they have to be so open is the limited ball placement abilities of QBs. Since the ball can't really be thrown to spots where it is a catch or hits the ground, once again being more open is needed. Also they have to be more open because receivers can't really use their bodies to push off, post up, or shield defenders from the ball.

Look at those non 4 verts plays when you get a coverage sack. Every receiver is locked up and you don't see any wonky moves by defenders. So it can happen but doesn't on most man plays for the reasons mentioned above. Until passing and the abilities of receivers to play with more physicality gets better, they will artificially make DBs exponentially more susceptible to garbage route running than they should be. You can have pretty good corners, but not ones that play as well as the elite CBs in real life.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2018, 12:24 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
I Sim 12yrs to cycle out all default roster players.

I don’t do the XP thing, I turn the sliders off in CFM so basically what the player’s abilities are when drafted, is what they are before they start any regression.

Generated players will provide the necessary variance of WR vs DB ratings to allow DB’s with better coverage skills to be seen, especially with WR RTE being toned way down.

The 2nd portion that affects quality of DB coverage is QB THP.
- not every generated QB has 90’ish+ THP which aids in DB’s with MCV/ZCV in high 80’s to really stand out.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:38 AM   #13
Rookie

I’m in a 6 man league including me and I start out by drafting the fastest prototype corners or just the best one available in the first who has a great combine and from there I just pump up the man coverage. Everyone hates playing against me but when your top 4 corners are all above 6’ and faster than 94 speed with legit stats you shouldn’t expect anything other than a challenge.

A good way of getting some cheesy good corners is to draft the most athletically gifted one which is usually a prototype corner in the later rounds with not so good stats and make him your kick/punt returner. If he makes the pro bowl you get a nice little chunk of xp and sometimes a development trait bump.

I know man isn’t the greatest this year but if you mix it in with some zone you can really throw players off. My favorite is cover 1 especially if I have them in 3rd and longs just make sure you watch out for the corner routes. Other than that the extra speed really kills on defense and if you really focus on building the team with athletes even if your stats suffer in the beginning it will eventually pay off.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #14
Rookie

See below my way of improving my CB`s

Awareness (if I reach min 80 here the others are following)
Man Coverage
Zone Coverage
Press
Catching

In general I want to have a stable D first, so CB`s are mandatory first steps in my franchise.

I have Humphrey with 92 OVR + 2 former draft picks with 87 & 83 OVR...followed by an unkonwn 80 OVR

So I am good staffed I need to say

If you are not doing Play Recognition, that's a big mistake, unless you want to get play-actioned to death.

SURE Sir I forgot, Play Recognition, put in in the second or third row even.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »