Home

Post Your Offensive and Defensive Philosophy

This is a discussion on Post Your Offensive and Defensive Philosophy within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
Pro

caseyj622's Arena

OVR: 3
Post Your Offensive and Defensive Philosophy

Offense: I run a lot of two TE sets. Lots of bubble screens mixed in. Lots of levels and drive concepts. For my runs, it is a lot of stretch and power O. Lots of play action and bootleg rollouts. I like a decently mobile quarterback for the bootlegs. My offense is simple but pretty effective. I am a huge defense guy though so that is to be expected. My mindset is don't turn the ball over and stay out of long yardage situations.

Defense: Alright, this is where I pride myself. I run a ton of cover 1. Mostly Nickel unless I am playing a heavy run offense or it is an obvious run situation. My whole defense is based around cover 1. IMO, it is the best coverage in football with the right personnel. I like a single high safety look and will run a lot of cover 3 disguised to look like cover 1. Lots of cover 1 blitzes mixed in. I sprinkle in some cover 2 and cover 3 cloud every now and then as well as the occasional zone blitz. I always look to draft high man coverage defensive backs as well as elite pass rushers. Most of my drafts are based on the defensive side of the ball in the early rounds. I draft offense usually in the later rounds. I figure once I have my QB, the rest of the pieces can be filled in easily. But for defense, you really need to have multiple high draft picks for a few years on defense to put an elite one together.

What about you?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Post Your Offensive and Defensive Philosophy

Offense: Run first, love to have a pulling guard on my runs, throw in an option run to mess with the defense. Mix that with short efficient passes, a lot of PA and bootlegs as well, with the occasional deep ball to keep the defense honest. I need linemen who can move, a QB who can run if needed, a Balanced runningback, and prefer quick receivers with good route running and a balanced TE who can block and catch. The basic game plan is to just keep the ball moving, if i can keep getting 4-6yds a play I'm happy.

Defense: I'm normally a 3-4 man coverage guy, but lately I've been using an attacking 4-3. A lot of zone and man blitzes from all over the field. I normally try to build up a deep defensive line that can get to the QB, and I like speed at LB. My secondary is usually bend but don't break. Give up the underneath stuff, tackle well, and force the offense to go on long drives to get points.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
Rookie

steve115658's Arena

OVR: 9

If things are going well? About 55:45 pass to run. Lot of 11 personnel. Like to have a power running back, if I face a nickel or smaller I can usually overpower it but if I face a 43 or bigger I am going to out run it especially with a fast receiving tight end. Receivers I like to have one speed guy to stretch the field, a big guy with great catching ratings and a superstar, or if I can't find a superstar a guy with great physical numbers that I can hope to develop. Early on a lot of traps and stretches but as the defense adjusts switch to a lot of power or dives. Passing I am fairly conservative unless I know ive got a one on one mismatch, lots of stick and drive concepts worked in. Quarterback I want athleticism and right handedness. I don't scramble a ton but I like to have the option. 73 speed or so is cool, just not Eli level mobility. Can get by without throwing power as long as the can hit the short and
intermediate stuff.Iusually read the right outside linebacker and the free safety at the snap and hit who I want from there.

Defensively I'd say I'm bend but don't break. 43 defensive playbooks but rarely ever call 4-3. I'll go 46 against base formations and nickel or dime against anything spread out. Run more zone. Love zone blitzes, usually with a cover 3 look over top. Even more like rushing 4 in a zone blitz but dropping one blitzer into man coverage on the opponents biggest threat. Look for size strength and speed up the middle of the defense (dt,lb,fs,ss) and intangibles on the outside (cb, de) I like zone cover corners and finesse move defensive ends although still always great to have speed strength and size. .

Last edited by steve115658; 02-09-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Since about Madden 25 I’ve been running what is basically Kyle Shanahan’s scheme. I love tight I formations for killer play action, use a lot of stack type formations to get a wr off the line easily, and I love uitilizing stretch runs and passes to the full back. I really like at least one really fast wr and one great route runner.

As for defense, I perfer either under fronts or a bear look for base defense. I don’t have a huge preference on 43 vs 34. It depends on personnel. I do like big NTs though. Usually I run a single high coverage, but I love to disguise my looks. I also love man/zone concepts and a well timed blitz. Vs users I have found corner blitzes to be pretty effective.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:56 PM   #5
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Seeing that I usually try to do CFMs with sad sack rebuild projects, I end up with a power running team more often then not. The cheapest 'quick fix' you can usually pull off in the near term is to find good run blocking TE/FB/OL guys on the FA market. They typically come cheap and every year there are more available so there is no need to get tied down in long term deals while you try to work long term magic via the draft. So all that said, I like I Form / Offset I Form sets and singleback sets with 2-3 TEs. With even average run blockers up front, I can usually survive with a rotation of cheap high mileage 30 year old RBs until I hit something in the draft. While I'm still in cheap rebuild mode, I emphasize QBs with short/middle accuracy over throw power and WRs with route running over raw speed. With a low talent roster, I've gone as high as 70% rushing plays over the course of a season... but that always creeps closer to 50/50 as my roster talent increases.

With defense, I have traditionally been a 4-3 guy, although have grown to love the 3-4 with M18. I tend to blitz more often with lower talent then with better talent... as a lot of times the only real hope is to force the QB to throw before he wants to. I might lean towards Nickle coverage in 1st/2nd down or I might stay base all the way thru 3rd down... my roster talent / lack thereof usually dictates... so over the years I've had less of a defensive identity than I do on offense, where I've always loved the ground game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2018, 12:10 AM   #6
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

If I had to classify my "preferred" offensive style, I would say that I like a "Power West Coast" approach. Shanahan's offense for SF in M18 is pretty close to what I like....though I prefer a bit more complexity in passing routes than that PB has (NO playbook works well for me too). I play more to team strengths and matchups in terms of run/pass ratio.

Defensively I prefer 43 and play a ton of Cover 2 man and then mix in zones/blitzes to catch the offense off-guard. It's a fairly vanilla style but with the right personnel, it forces the opponent into a more controlled attack. I like strong Man corners, rangy safeties and I want my ROLB/MLB to have good coverage skills (will formation sub guys a lot for that).
Old 03-04-2018, 01:17 AM   #7
Banned

Quick strike Spread Offense. I used to want to center it around the spread option in 2x2 sets but it’s morphed into a real Air Raid offense. Lot of draws.. Screens... mirror concepts... and deep balls to keep defense honest. Defensively I’m building a true 46 where I can utilize different guys in different positions depending on the opponent and what they do... Cover 3 based obviously... depending on personnel depends on if I based speed package or Bear.. mix in some dollar... I never play Nickle unless I have to..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2018, 03:14 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Offense: Stay ahead of the chains early on, little conservative nickle and diming down the field. Later in the game attack vertical and take more chances to blow the game open. Run a lot of power and inside runs. Passing game built around 11 personnel using different looks. A lot of hi lo reads. Qb mobility not at all important. Imperative that I have a TE that can pose matchup problems. Route running WRs that are reliable. More on WRs, I tend to gravitate towards those in the 6'3" area with good but not elite physical tools that can get open. I consider the comeback route my litmus test for QBs and WRs, gotta be able to beat the corner in man on the comeback. Prefer playing under center, but my playbook has a lot of redundancy with same plays under center and in shotgun when needed.

Defense: Short answer: Pete Carrol defense. Single high safety 4-3 under is my base. Build my defense around my secondary. Outside corners that can press. MLB must make right reads, ability to play the hole. Will linebacker is playmaker, must be able to run sideline to sideline and the occasional blitz. Sam must be able to take on blockers and snuff out the run. Lineman geared more towards pass rush. FS that can stop post and seam routes.

More on offensive personnel: 11 personnel is by far my preferred grouping. I can never leave that and still give you a different look all game long. Keep it vanilla with doubles and y trips, or split TE out wide, bunch, stack my WRs, etc. And from each look I can still run it down your throat if you give me 6 or 7 man fronts. Like I said I like hi lo reads so expect a lot of levels and shallow crosses.

Even though I prefer being under center, there is a shotgun set in the Pats playbook I'm fond of.
Spoiler

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »