Home

Is adaptive a.i. in commentary possible?

This is a discussion on Is adaptive a.i. in commentary possible? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #9
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is adaptive a.i. in commentary possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Yeah it feels like the commentary has improved, but it has been geared towards the play now crowd. There is little immersion for CFM. NBA2k does a great job at this.

2K does a lot of things right that EA hasnít (not going to open the 2K vs. Madden can of worms, as much as I want to...) and I think Franchise commentary is the biggest indicator. I still play 2K17 and I love the little backstories on coaches, players and ownership. After and even in the first season in Madden, the commentary feels stale to me.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #10
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Commentary is in a much better place where it has been over the past several years, but agree it could use a fresh coat of paint in CFM.

Commentary was one of the weaker points in Madden, but I don't feel that way at the moment.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #11
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

What the OP wants will probably be cost prohibitive even when it becomes possible to do.

The commentary is the best it's ever been in Madden IMO. I actually still have it on, which I haven't done for more than a decade. I do agree that it was geared toward Play Now, which was done IMO to try and garner a bump in the ratings by reviewers, since those people aren't going to be the ones who play deep into Franchise Mode. That design choice really bothers me.

I hope that they get rid of the 4th wall breaking in CFM and remove real world current year references. I don't want to hear about "This year, 2017's class of Hall of Fame inductees" when I'm in 2036. The same with the draft talking about Cam Newton getting some help on the Panthers when he's been retired for many years.

I do like that most of my generated offensive skill players are now addressed by their name. They need to work on doing the same for QBs and defensive players next year. This is probably a couple of years away if they even choose to do it, but OLinemen to get their names said too when they make great blocks or keep elite pass rushers from getting to the QB.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2018, 06:04 AM   #12
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Computer generated voices? My man you don't talk to Siri much do you lol.
Tbh Siri with an Australian accent really turns me on.

Quote:
EA is taking the right approach. Get lower profile guys that are amicable to recording more lines and that don't cost as much as the big name TV personalities.

Then write the logic that determines when each line is played back.

Where I disagree with EA's approach is what those extra lines are. We've gotten multiple commentary updates, but I've never noticed anything new in my CFM. I believe the extra lines are real world specific.
This. One thing I absolutely HATE is if you skip the half time, dude is like ,"Well derpity derp I guess we'll be skipping hte half time show." Smh this attitude kills immersion. And it's rampant int he game. Case in point: the player introductions. As if any NFL team would EVER have players line up and pose so the world can see their swag right before the game in full uniform. No. No it just will never happen.

I would much rather just go back to pictures of the players during the introduction. So much more realistic.

Quote:
Instead of this line: "Kareem Hunt had a very good rookie campaign, leading the league in rushing yards" where that entire line is recorded at once, making it only apply to Kareem Hunt, they should record the line as "led the NFL in rushing yards as a rookie."
Then in playback two separate lines get called on, so we have
"Kareem Hunt" "led the NFL in rushing yards as a rookie"

(First and last names would be recorded separately, it was just more convenient this way)
Maybe, but what I would really like is for the commentary to remember what you did the previous year, and what your long term trend has been. Additionally, I want to know if my defense is leading the NFL, or if my QB is the reining MVP.

I don't care if Jimmy Garoppolo learned under Tom Brady in 2022 after he's won two MVPs. I want to hear "one of the best in the business, two time MVP winner Jimmy Garoppolo," you know? (don't laugh, btw... it's coming IRL in a couple years). Give me something up do date with what my franchise has been doing. If the Browns have the best defense in 2023 I want to hear about it in week 1 of 2024. "Last years number one defense has a pass rush you just can't really stop." Whatever. I'm not a line writer. But you get the point.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Old 03-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Maybe, but what I would really like is for the commentary to remember what you did the previous year, and what your long term trend has been. Additionally, I want to know if my defense is leading the NFL, or if my QB is the reining MVP.

I don't care if Jimmy Garoppolo learned under Tom Brady in 2022 after he's won two MVPs. I want to hear "one of the best in the business, two time MVP winner Jimmy Garoppolo," you know? (don't laugh, btw... it's coming IRL in a couple years). Give me something up do date with what my franchise has been doing. If the Browns have the best defense in 2023 I want to hear about it in week 1 of 2024. "Last years number one defense has a pass rush you just can't really stop." Whatever. I'm not a line writer. But you get the point.
Its the same principle as my example. Rather than having a lot of real world/player specific lines, they should add a bunch of generic lines that have triggers. When the trigger is activated, that line, along with the player name, is called upon.

So for your example, the line would be "one of the best in the business, two time MVP winner"
The trigger is unsurprisingly when the starting QB has won two mvp awards. If that condition is met, the line and player name get called on. So what we hear in game would be "one of the best in the business, two time MVP winner Jimmy Garoppolo."

This is basically what NBA 2k does. To avoid the awkward transitions between the player name and flavor commentary, you do some tricks. Again, NBA 2k is great at this. Example:
Play by play guy: The starting QB is Jimmy Garoppolo
Color guy: Oh yeah this guy is one of the best in the business. Two MVP awards, he is a proven winner and they are hoping for another good season out of him

So because one guy says the name and the other guy provides the flavor text, it can create for a smooth transition. Because when you are splicing together different lines from the same voice talent it just sounds bad at times. ESPN 2k5 is an example of this coincidentally.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #14
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

I'll give the devs full credit this year... I managed to get to week 9 or 10 in my CFM before the commentary was permanently muted. I thought the VO guys had solid delivery, good chemistry and didn't seem to make too many obviously incorrect observations. It all came together as well as it ever has.

That said, once I've heard the same irreverent quip three times in a season... it's done. It's been so long that I don't remember the exact wording of this year's trigger point... but it was "Your old coach used to call you Muffinbuns?" or whatever the nickname was. Stuff like that is needed if the goal is to ape the spontaneity of a live TV broadcast... but getting enough of them in place where it doesn't get repetitive for a CFM player is a tall order. Either way, I'll eventually realize how much more I enjoy the ambient sounds of the game over pre-canned play by play.

As far as them breaking the 4th wall and winking at the audience, I actually dig that stuff... it was my favorite part of the new crew... Acknowledging that this is all happening in an alternate universe and having some fun with it... thought it was cute. Unfortunately a bit too repetitive as I skip every cutscene and presentation aspect every time.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #15
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
I'll give the devs full credit this year... I managed to get to week 9 or 10 in my CFM before the commentary was permanently muted. I thought the VO guys had solid delivery, good chemistry and didn't seem to make too many obviously incorrect observations. It all came together as well as it ever has.

That said, once I've heard the same irreverent quip three times in a season... it's done. It's been so long that I don't remember the exact wording of this year's trigger point... but it was "Your old coach used to call you Muffinbuns?" or whatever the nickname was. Stuff like that is needed if the goal is to ape the spontaneity of a live TV broadcast... but getting enough of them in place where it doesn't get repetitive for a CFM player is a tall order. Either way, I'll eventually realize how much more I enjoy the ambient sounds of the game over pre-canned play by play.
Yeah, they need to at minimum do two things: (1) Add way, WAY more commentary, and (2) add a trigger that prevents the same line from being said more than once or twice in a season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
As far as them breaking the 4th wall and winking at the audience, I actually dig that stuff... it was my favorite part of the new crew... Acknowledging that this is all happening in an alternate universe and having some fun with it... thought it was cute. Unfortunately a bit too repetitive as I skip every cutscene and presentation aspect every time.
Oh God I freaking HHAAAAAAATTE that.

Cannot stand it and want to kill my monitor with the controller every time, which is why I skip it 100% of the time.

Also can't stand the "swag" player introductions where they stand in a line on the field in full gear, as if that would EVER happen in an NFL broadcast.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #16
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞

Cannot stand it and want to kill my monitor with the controller every time, which is why I skip it 100% of the time.

Also can't stand the "swag" player introductions where they stand in a line on the field in full gear, as if that would EVER happen in an NFL broadcast.
I can certainly understand not liking the 4th wall stuff, but I get a kick out of that occasional popping of the balloon... taking the stuffiness out of things. My favorite part of the old NFL Gameday series in the PS1 days was when you'd pause the game for too long and the stadium announcer would pipe in with some goofball announcement that came clear out of left field.

As far as the introductions... I think something like that certainly could happen at some point. These guys have all kinds of media days and photoshoots and everything else. If they can film them in front of a green screen reciting their name and college, then they could certainly green screen them in their unis. Granted, they likely wouldn't have their helmets on... but I don't find the premise to be completely unreasonable. Either way, as I alluded to before... it's an alternate universe... Madden isn't our reality... they get to put spin on things that we don't. Nothing wrong with that necessarily. I can watch Fox or CBS on Sunday afternoons if I want a 100% faithful TV broadcast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »