Home

Is adaptive a.i. in commentary possible?

This is a discussion on Is adaptive a.i. in commentary possible? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #17
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is adaptive a.i. in commentary possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
I can certainly understand not liking the 4th wall stuff, but I get a kick out of that occasional popping of the balloon... taking the stuffiness out of things. My favorite part of the old NFL Gameday series in the PS1 days was when you'd pause the game for too long and the stadium announcer would pipe in with some goofball announcement that came clear out of left field.

As far as the introductions... I think something like that certainly could happen at some point. These guys have all kinds of media days and photoshoots and everything else. If they can film them in front of a green screen reciting their name and college, then they could certainly green screen them in their unis. Granted, they likely wouldn't have their helmets on... but I don't find the premise to be completely unreasonable. Either way, as I alluded to before... it's an alternate universe... Madden isn't our reality... they get to put spin on things that we don't. Nothing wrong with that necessarily. I can watch Fox or CBS on Sunday afternoons if I want a 100% faithful TV broadcast.
Not me. That totally blows up immersion for me.

To each his own, I suppose.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Old 03-22-2018, 05:53 AM   #18
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
As if any NFL team would EVER have players line up and pose so the world can see their swag right before the game in full uniform. No. No it just will never happen.
Well, not to defend Madden, but they do some silly packages for prime time games with players in a studio.

Problem is in Madden there is no difference between a 1pm Sunday game and MNF.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:39 AM   #19
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
So because one guy says the name and the other guy provides the flavor text, it can create for a smooth transition. Because when you are splicing together different lines from the same voice talent it just sounds bad at times. ESPN 2k5 is an example of this coincidentally.
I remember that. Color commentator, Peter, would analyze an instant replay and go "Trent Green - throws a terrific pass here between TWO defenders to get the first down!"

Though Visual Concepts mixed it well, you could tell Green's name was recorded separately from the triggered line for completed passes thrown into double coverage/tight window.

However, the follow up from the play-by-play guy Dan would go "Peter, you know..he's had an impressive showing so far in the first half! How do his stats look?" ...then Peter: "Well, Dan he's thrown for - 165 yards - and - two touchdowns." .....again, mixed very well but still noticeable. More importantly, you got a nice little stat update nestled in there after a big play. Good stuff.

The big difference back then was Visual Concepts used a couple of voice actors with far less time constraints than known broadcast talent. EA Madden found the middle ground there...known broadcast talent but guys with more time in their schedules to record. It worked out very well IMO.

However, they need to take another major step there to be on par with NBA2k and/or MLB the Show.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #20
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0

One thing I would like to see is player backstory for rookies in commentary. Nothing too in depth, but something like:

“Here comes Smith onto the field for Miami; the first round pick out of UCLA posted good numbers in his four years—not Heisman worthy, but still enough to get him taken early.”

“Yeah and of course, the Dolphins have been looking for Dan Marino’s successor for the past twenty years. There’s undoubtedly a lot of pressure on this young man to come in and not only do the job, but do it at the level of #13.”

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #21
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
I remember that. Color commentator, Peter, would analyze an instant replay and go "Trent Green - throws a terrific pass here between TWO defenders to get the first down!"

Though Visual Concepts mixed it well, you could tell Green's name was recorded separately from the triggered line for completed passes thrown into double coverage/tight window.

However, the follow up from the play-by-play guy Dan would go "Peter, you know..he's had an impressive showing so far in the first half! How do his stats look?" ...then Peter: "Well, Dan he's thrown for - 165 yards - and - two touchdowns." .....again, mixed very well but still noticeable. More importantly, you got a nice little stat update nestled in there after a big play. Good stuff.

The big difference back then was Visual Concepts used a couple of voice actors with far less time constraints than known broadcast talent. EA Madden found the middle ground there...known broadcast talent but guys with more time in their schedules to record. It worked out very well IMO.

However, they need to take another major step there to be on par with NBA2k and/or MLB the Show.
I specifically remember Chris Berman in the halftime show and how bad anything sounded if it involved Terrell Owens. It sounded like when they recorded him saying TO's name he said it excitedly so me and my friends got a kick out of it.
"He completes a pass to --Terrell Owens!!11!! -- for 32 yards
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2018, 01:54 AM   #22
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Haven't read the replies but FIFA has a ton of prerecorded names for created players and Madden should have the same especially for rookies. I don't know why they call rookies Walter Payton instead of their actual name like John Smith lol but they need to fix it.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 03-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #23
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I've played hundreds of CFM games this year and for the first time I just heard Brandon say, "And right now the human is controlling the defense, good job human." How can people on the presentation team think that having that in CFM is a good thing?

Something like this makes me angrier than any bug or shortcoming in the game due to time/resource constraints or lack of programming skill, because this is a conscious choice to add this inane fourth wall breaking to the mode that is most supposed to be about NFL authenticity. I'm flabbergasted.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:39 PM   #24
Rookie

SincerelYourz's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I've played hundreds of CFM games this year and for the first time I just heard Brandon say, "And right now the human is controlling the defense, good job human." How can people on the presentation team think that having that in CFM is a good thing?

Something like this makes me angrier than any bug or shortcoming in the game due to time/resource constraints or lack of programming skill, because this is a conscious choice to add this inane fourth wall breaking to the mode that is most supposed to be about NFL authenticity. I'm flabbergasted.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »