Home

QB Accuracy Chart from PFF - CFM Idea

This is a discussion on QB Accuracy Chart from PFF - CFM Idea within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #9
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: QB Accuracy Chart from PFF - CFM Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm just reporting what I see in my CFM games, based on my own eyes, I see CPU QB's throw under pressure quite a few times during the CFM games and quite often they miss.

There are senses pressure traits in the game.

I control Rodgers, so, I can either scramble out of trouble or fire the ball under pressure.

YMMV
Jimmy G doesn't miss under pressure...
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Old 03-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Jimmy G doesn't miss under pressure...
Yeah, we noticed. (yawn lol)
Old 03-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

I think you have the right idea, Madden needs more ratings to help differentiate players - especially quarterbacks. the fact that only a few accuracy/awareness points is what separates most QBs from each other feels very lack luster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I don't want Pro Football Focus anywhere near player ratings, to be honest. I personally don't find their grading to be very credible.

I do think having more ratings to differentiate the nuances of quarterback play would be a good add, however.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #13
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
What we need most of all is some kind of mental attribute like pocket composure or something.

And something to differentiate a QBs ability to quickly go through his progressions. The current setup using the awareness attribute isn't good enough
I think a pocket presence rating would be very interesting. Some quarterbacks tend to panic in the pocket and proceed to roll out given too much time or too much pressure to varying degrees of success(e.g. a Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson) whereas other quarterbacks (e.g. Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger) hang in there and are willing to get hit or lose yardage just to get the throw off). And you can observe varying levels of nervousness in those situations which influence the quality of those throws. I don't know how you'd program that though.
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Old 03-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitychamps87
I think a pocket presence rating would be very interesting. Some quarterbacks tend to panic in the pocket and proceed to roll out given too much time or too much pressure to varying degrees of success(e.g. a Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson) whereas other quarterbacks (e.g. Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger) hang in there and are willing to get hit or lose yardage just to get the throw off). And you can observe varying levels of nervousness in those situations which influence the quality of those throws. I don't know how you'd program that though.
The game had this and the community complained and called it the “throw out of sack” glitch.
- Before this was “Robo QB”.
I can see how it really is a catch-22.

2nd thing is that we often tinker via sliders/rating edits, away from their character build to find that global enjoyment.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I don't want Pro Football Focus anywhere near player ratings, to be honest. I personally don't find their grading to be very credible.

I do think having more ratings to differentiate the nuances of quarterback play would be a good add, however.
Got any specific reasons why? I ask because NFL teams actually use some of their paid for stuff (although 1. NFL teams use all the scouting services and 2. Clearly some NFL teams are doing something wrong with their scouting).

I haven’t seen too many problems with them with what I’ve looked at. For example, their qb ranking seems fairly legit.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...er-grades-2017

I can’t imagine many people having very many complaints about that ranking. I personally have about an 80% agreement with it.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 03-29-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2018, 03:00 AM   #16
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Got any specific reasons why? I ask because NFL teams actually use some of their paid for stuff (although 1. NFL teams use all the scouting services and 2. Clearly some NFL teams are doing something wrong with their scouting).

I haven’t seen too many problems with them with what I’ve looked at. For example, their qb ranking seems fairly legit.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...er-grades-2017

I can’t imagine many people having very many complaints about that ranking. I personally have about an 80% agreement with it.
Most of my issue is with the PFF final grades. They have a smell of unverifiable arbitrariness about them foremost, but more importantly they work backwards from the final result of the play to assign a grade to a player independent of play calling and assignments, both of which obviously can dramatically impact how a player may approach a given play. The advanced stats are better, but can be similarly misleading for different reasons.

With respect to making Madden player ratings better I have always been and continue to be a strong proponent of actual pro football scouting data driving the ratings, a la how FBGratings operated (I was and still am an FBGratings guy, even though I haven't spoken to Dan in a couple years now, I hope he is well). It is my wish that at some point Tiburon will license data from a reputable scouting firm such as National or BLESTO to generate ratings for the entire NFL player population, then rebalance the tuning values of the core game engine to accommodate for the wildly different player ratings file which will fall out from that data. In my mind that would be a far more authentic approach to creating a given game's roster file than a game designer thrown educated darts at a wall, those educated darts having been informed by bad data.

OT EDIT: as to PFF's quarterback rankings, some of the guys in the Top 10 are incredibly overvalued based on their individual performances in 2017 thanks to their teams enjoying success overshadowing that. The most obvious example of a player being overrated in this list based on results as opposed to individual talent is Case Keenum. Keenum was absolutely not a Top 10 NFL quarterback in the NFL by individual talent level in 2017. He's smart, mobile, and fearless, but his limitations were plainly obvious any time he demonstrated his mediocre arm strength throwing fluttering mildly accurate 50-50 jump balls to the best starting WR combination in the league last season. The talent around him enabled his success, not the other way around.

Still speaking to PFF's final ranking list - Alex Smith is similarly overrated, and Ben Roethlisberger individually was a shell of his former self last year as well. Meanwhile, Cam Newton is criminally underrated.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 03-30-2018 at 03:17 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »