Home

Run Blocking

This is a discussion on Run Blocking within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Run Blocking

I play on All Pro, "simulation" mode... you know, the mode where "players tend to play to their attributes" (I still get a laugh at this.)

What the heck did EA do with run blocking? Two things I've noticed:
1) Most of the times when I call a run play, the side where I want to run is always in the red box. Ever classy AI must study my tendencies to a T because they always just so happen to call the perfect defense against my run plays. And my pass plays.

2) The AI DL will always just toss my lineman aside like a last night's whore from the crack house.

3) AI LBs... no matter their ratings.... will always flow to the hole so in the .5% of the cases where the AI DL does not toss my blocker aside, that LB will always be there to make the tackle

Oh yeah... my run block slider is on 80.

I would love to sit here and suggest that EA brings back the "Run Defense" slider that used to be in the game but the better solution would be to create a mode where players will play the way their ratings say they will play.

Oh wait...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Run Blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc629
I play on All Pro, "simulation" mode... you know, the mode where "players tend to play to their attributes" (I still get a laugh at this.)

What the heck did EA do with run blocking? Two things I've noticed:
1) Most of the times when I call a run play, the side where I want to run is always in the red box. Ever classy AI must study my tendencies to a T because they always just so happen to call the perfect defense against my run plays. And my pass plays.

2) The AI DL will always just toss my lineman aside like a last night's whore from the crack house.

3) AI LBs... no matter their ratings.... will always flow to the hole so in the .5% of the cases where the AI DL does not toss my blocker aside, that LB will always be there to make the tackle

Oh yeah... my run block slider is on 80.

I would love to sit here and suggest that EA brings back the "Run Defense" slider that used to be in the game but the better solution would be to create a mode where players will play the way their ratings say they will play.

Oh wait...
I’m default AP, no slider alterations at all in a 12+ yr Sim, and players play to their ratings in my CFM.

I’m not a Slider person (JoshC, Charter and others are, several Slider threads to choose from) but jacking gameplay sliders to the extremes like that causes more problems than fixes.

If you’re playing with default EA roster players, start by getting away from those.

Lastly, it’s pretty much impossible for you to find enjoyment based off someone else’s set up because you have certain things you want to see during gameplay that’s different.

You can always just edit down the BSH rating of DL players instead of monkeying with the Slider that’s going to open up other issues.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Can't say I've had difficulties running on default All-Pro playing as the Titans (a strong run blocking team), to be honest. So YMMV I suppose.

Try Skills Trainer to refresh your memory on how the different runs work.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
MVP

prey2god's Arena

That red means nothing to me. If I see a wide gap, i'm running through it. If they've closed the gaps, i'm sending my wideout on that end to block. If they box in, i'm obviously calling a deep pass.

It's pretty basic x and o's football. Also, the key to running, don't hold the turbo down. Control your man with your stick, burst with the turbo if you can squeeze through the gap or have some space from defenders.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I believe I understand what the OP is saying, and have seen it myself..

It is where the animations and play design appears to be running the results of the play and essentially negating individual player ratings in favor of some standardized ratings so plays run towards a designed outcome that resembles football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

To me the interior run game needs to be better I only play h2h but I notice it against the A.I in practice too. If my Center has a 94 run block; 90 impact; 92 strength and my Guards have 95 run block 90 impact; 88 strength each and someone comes out in Nickel 2-4-5 with Kony Ealy and a cfm generated DE that's 265 lbs, why are Ealy and the other guy block shedding and stopping interior run plays? It makes no sense. I got 315 at C, 335 at RG and 320 at LG and we can't move these two guys? Something is wrong or missing in the programming.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

only way i can ensure my run game in coach mode sim offline cfm, put 8 oline, FB & HB in. even 9 in the box you can run against or conversely run from singleback spread. its all about match ups, even the really good defences have a weakness. Von Miller is LOLB for Den, i run left away from him. Both OLBs good? run up the middle. Over aggressive on the outside rush, use the draw. I have 10 oline on roster, 4 HBs, 2 FBs, TEs. I have no problem telegraphing the run. Im used to rolling mauls in rugby, olines are bigger normally than a rugby pack. using formation subs creating unbalanced lines or overloads
Old 04-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
To me the interior run game needs to be better I only play h2h but I notice it against the A.I in practice too. If my Center has a 94 run block; 90 impact; 92 strength and my Guards have 95 run block 90 impact; 88 strength each and someone comes out in Nickel 2-4-5 with Kony Ealy and a cfm generated DE that's 265 lbs, why are Ealy and the other guy block shedding and stopping interior run plays? It makes no sense. I got 315 at C, 335 at RG and 320 at LG and we can't move these two guys? Something is wrong or missing in the programming.

That’s always been my problem with madden. It sucks because I play in a pretty competitive league and have embraced it in my 3-4 because guys have been taking speed rushers or 3-4 pass rushing linebackers and playing them at DE which means essentially they are playing tackles on the 3-4. Size and strength have almost no decision on outcomes only the fact that they focused on raising blockshed on these guys that are 85+ speed and less than 250 and they turn into missles on run plays. I’ve resorted to doing the same and it does kill any sort of realism.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »