Home

How to win at Madden Online ... ALMOST EVERY TIME!

This is a discussion on How to win at Madden Online ... ALMOST EVERY TIME! within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

Pick a team to use online that has one of the better defenses (for example, in Madden 18, select the Jaguars, Ravens, Vikings, Eagles, Seahawks, etc.) Offense isn't nearly as important with this method, but it sure doesn't hurt.

Go online and play your matchup. Prefer to KICK OFF vs. receive on the coin flip, increasing the odds your opponent will get the ball first.

When you are on DEFENSE ...

You pretty much don't play the game!

Here's what you do: Set your play call choices to SUGGESTIONS. Leave it there. And let the clock tick all the way down, forcing the game to select the suggested play currently listed. Sometimes, if your opponent is late picking his offensive play ... by the time your suggested play is used by default, there isn't enough time to get the play off, and it's a 5 yard delay of game penalty! Regardless, let the computer select the Suggested defensive play, and let the timer tick all the way down, eating up time.

Once the first defensive play begins for you, select your player as one of the defensive tackles, whether it be left, right or middle (if there's only 3 men on the defensive line) and leave it that way.

Now, DO NOTHING ON DEFENSE, with one exception. If you see the quarterback is running for it, push R3 on the Playstation controller (sorry, don't know what it is for XBox) to alert your defense the QB is running for it.

Why play (or not physically play) defense this way? Simple! Madden is so incredibly CPU driven and SCRIPTED, the game does the work FOR YOU. Now, you may give up some first downs, big plays, or even a score or two, but generally speaking, the CPU and scripted Madden gameplay does the work FOR YOU!

As an example of my last game, I won 20-7. I scored with a Pick 6 (that I had absolutely NOTHING to do with), and a second interception run back for a lot of yards.

So, when you let the game run the defense FOR YOU, odds are, it performs better, CPU does the work to figure out your opponent, big defensive plays, turnovers, and hits, automatically happen, and you can sit back, and watch the game while having a drink and snacks! Talk it up with your friends! Watch and laugh as your opponent in cyberspace struggles to advance, because he'll go for it on 4th down and fail, have turnovers, and give you great field position!

When you are on OFFENSE ...

Pick two or three plays you like to run. And THAT'S IT.

I like to run the HB Smash from I Formation Slot, and either Quick Slants from I Formation Slot, or Double Slants From Shotgun Doubles. Run whatever plays you want, and mix them up. Try to go 50/50 on runs and passes. And ALWAYS USE THEM.

When you select your play, let the play clock run down to almost zero (use up as much time as you can.) It slows the game down, and it can make your opponent that much more on edge, because he wants to get going and play the game! Remember, you did the same thing to him on defense by letting the CPU select your play under Suggested Plays, and letting the timer run down to 0, so it's happening to him on both sides of the ball! And why do you care! You're taking your time, enjoying your drink and snacks! The game is almost a background event for you, while you and your friends laugh it up! And ... it's less stressful for you!

Now, when you run these offensive plays you've selected enough times, go to RECENT PLAYS, and keep playing the same plays OVER AND OVER AGAIN! Flip the direction of the plays now and again, too. Call out audibles to your receiver and tight end on running plays. Occasionally change the routes your running backs, receivers and tight end run on your passing play(s), but continue to run the same play, nonetheless!

Note on offense, you probably won't score a huge amount of points, but your opponent will score a lot LESS than YOU will!

Stick to the gameplay, even if it looks like the game is close, or your opponent takes a lead, whether it be early, or late. Remember, Madden is scripted, and likes to have dramatic turnarounds, just at the right time. So USE it, and let your defense save you, and place your team in great field position!

OTHER NOTES:

On kickoff returns and punt returns, make sure to either fair catch, run out of bounds, or SLIDE before any opposing player hits you. A lot of players use hit sticks, and force fumbles, giving your opponent great field position, after a return turnover. Better to be on your own 15, than have your opponent on your own 15, or even worse, with 6 quick points. To fair catch with the PS4, Press and hold the TRIANGLE button on the controller. If you don't see your hand going up to call fair catch, then the game isn't letting you call fair catch. If in the end zone when this happens, you can try to press and HOLD the TRIANGLE button on the controller. If your player still runs out then, to slide with the PS4, you press L2 + R2 + Square on your controller, all at the same time.

If you find yourself in a situation where you are having difficulty on offense, then, believe it or not ... PUNT! Even on first down! It will throw off your opponent, not necessarily ready for the punt, with nobody back to receive. Try to angle your punt to one extreme side, and as far as you can kick it. Make HIM have to go after it. Now your opponent has the ball, a lot farther back than expected with the surprise punt, AND your DEFENSE takes over, with yet another chance to wreak havoc and frustrate our opponent with your CPU defense, and a better chance at great field position, especially after a turnover!

Bottom line ... make your OPPONENT do all the work, make all the hard decisions, planning, effort, etc., and get FRUSTRATED, which will make his play even WORSE! Meanwhile, you CASUALLY play the game, win a low to mid scoring game, have drinks and snacks, laugh with your friends, and walk away a WINNER!

Why am I telling you all this?

Well, I've had it with scripted gameplay. I've had it with Madden not being a simulation, arcade or competition style game. It's pre-determined to the point that ... there is no point. I've already bought the game, gave them my money, so I might as well have the last laugh, win games, and for the most part, WITHOUT EVEN TRYING!

Nothing I'm telling you here, in my online experience is made-up.

I suggest you try my technique YOURSELF!

EDIT: HERE IS A LINK TO A GAME THAT TOOK 50 MINUTES USING THE TECHNIQUE ABOVE, AND I DIDN'T EVEN TRY OFFENSIVELY! DEFENSE ON CPU HAD AN INT AND RETURNED IT 100 YARDS FOR A TD RIGHT BEFORE THE HALF TO TIE THE GAME AT 7-7! I DIDN'T PLAY DEFENSE AT ALL! IT'S SCRIPTED, AND PRE-DETERMINED, FOLKS! (LOOK FOR TIME MARKERS IN THE DESCRIPTION SECTION, TO SEE EACH KEY PLAY)

https://youtu.be/03o2JNTekfE

Last edited by apollo1980; 04-08-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Re: How to win at Madden Online ... ALMOST EVERY TIME!

Until I read the last paragraph, I was going to say I hate you and that you and people like you are the reason we don’t get sim things like defensive holding and so on.

Instead, I just laughed my butt off, as the final paragraph explained your point with vicious clarity.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

When I got to the “punt on first down” part I died laughing.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞

I'm not kidding. If you're not that great of offense, then punt it away. Let your CPU defense do the work, and you may get the ball back with better field position then you would have had during your stalled drive.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Until I read the last paragraph, I was going to say I hate you and that you and people like you are the reason we don’t get sim things like defensive holding and so on.

Instead, I just laughed my butt off, as the final paragraph explained your point with vicious clarity.

... I'm not kidding. You usually win. I'm serious, try it yourself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
I just finished a game online. I recorded it. Waiting for it to process on YouTube. My first play, which was the first offensive play in the game ... I had the ball, and PUNTED on FIRST DOWN.

Never played defense.

Deliberately threw an interception. Missed a field goal. Missed an extra point.

Had two offside calls on my offense when hitting R2 several times, to get my own line to jump.

What was the result of the game?

Opponent drove down the field after I punted on first down. Got a TD. His ONLY TD until the very end of the game.

He had the ball in my red zone late in the second quarter. What happens? My defense, CPU run, intercepts the ball at the goal line, and runs it back 100 yards for a TD! And I did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on my end. Well, except kick the extra point to tie the game at 7-7 at the half.

Second half, my defense came into play and picked off my opponent two more times. One lead to my running back rushing for a long TD. The other, well, I was up 14-7, so I just missed (deliberately) a field goal to put me up by two scores. Hey, it's late in the game. I needed my opponent to try to tie the game late, so something bad will happen to him with the CPU defense he's against.

My opponent is frustrated, and goes for it on 4th down. He NEVER punted. Sometimes he'd get a first down, sometimes, I held.

Stopped him on a 4th down. Had the ball, got into field goal range, but was able to run in another TD. So now I'm up 20-7. I miss the extra point (deliberately) to watch what happens next.

My opponent drives down the field very late in the game, and gets a TD towards the very end. Now down 20-13, he decides to go for 2, with 4 seconds on the clock. He doesn't convert.

My opponent kicks an onside kick. My team recovers. 4 seconds left. I kneel. He calls time out (his last.) Second down, I kneel. Game over.

I won with NO effort.

It's a 56 minute video. Remember, I let the clock run down. Dragging the game on.

The video is STILL processing on Youtube. When it's done, I'll EDIT and post here.

No kidding.

EDIT: HERE IS THE LINK (LOOK FOR TIME MARKERS IN THE DESCRIPTION TO SHOW KEY PLAYS)

https://youtu.be/03o2JNTekfE

Last edited by apollo1980; 04-08-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:40 AM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1980
When you are on DEFENSE ...

You pretty much don't play the game!

[...]

Why play (or not physically play) defense this way? Simple! Madden is so incredibly CPU driven and SCRIPTED, the game does the work FOR YOU. Now, you may give up some first downs, big plays, or even a score or two, but generally speaking, the CPU and scripted Madden gameplay does the work FOR YOU!
You do realize that anyone who actually knows how to read a defense pre-snap in Madden will tear this approach apart, yes? Particularly if you aren't making pre-snap adjustments to try and hide whatever coverage the CPU picks for you, a smart player who knows what he's doing will rip your defense to shreds.

I don't play online head-to-head outside of my franchise so maybe the Madden online user general population is just really bad at the mental chess match portion of the game by-and-large, but the premise of your post - that Madden is so heavily scripted that the user should avoid playing the game to win - is very obviously false.

I recommend that you A - actually play and enjoy the game, and B - play against some better competition.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:13 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
You do realize that anyone who actually knows how to read a defense pre-snap in Madden will tear this approach apart, yes? Particularly if you aren't making pre-snap adjustments to try and hide whatever coverage the CPU picks for you, a smart player who knows what he's doing will rip your defense to shreds.

I don't play online head-to-head outside of my franchise so maybe the Madden online user general population is just really bad at the mental chess match portion of the game by-and-large, but the premise of your post - that Madden is so heavily scripted that the user should avoid playing the game to win - is very obviously false.

I recommend that you A - actually play and enjoy the game, and B - play against some better competition.
That sounds like a challenge, Apollo! Why don't you and Hooe play a game to see who's right?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »