Home

CFM: Precisely when is the new schedule determined each season?

This is a discussion on CFM: Precisely when is the new schedule determined each season? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: CFM: Precisely when is the new schedule determined each season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
So are you saying the week to week schedule is determined then by the game (it is a computer system so I don't see why not) or the opponents are determined between week 17 and WC weekend. If the latter that should then all be consistent with NFL Operations. ONLY 2 opponents are determined by record and position finished; all other games are already pre-determined by rotation of intra- and inter-conference opponents so every few years each team does play each other. From NFL operation website (https://operations.nfl.com/the-game/...fl-schedule/):

Here’s how each team’s opponents are set:
Every team plays six games against the other three teams in its division, facing off twice per season — once at home and once on the road.
The NFL’s scheduling formula ensures that all teams will play every team from every division in the other conference once every four years.
The NFL's scheduling formula ensures that all teams will play every team from every division in the other conference once every four years.
Every team plays one game against each of the four teams from a division within its conference — two games at home and two on the road. Which division a team plays is determined by a rotation system ensuring that the teams in one division will play the teams in every other division in its conference once every three years.
Every team plays one game against each of the four teams from a division in the other conference once per season — two games at home and two on the road. These matchups are also determined by a rotation, which ensures that all teams play every team from every division in the other conference once every four years.
Every team plays its remaining two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and the other on the road. The matchups are determined by where the teams finished in their divisions in the previous season. For example, a team that finished the previous year in third place in its division will play the third-place teams from the two other divisions in its conference.
No. The MATCHUPS remain the same after week 17 no matter what you do. It's the ORDER that I'm concerned with.

Allow me to elaborate. In the REAL NFL, say you're an NFC team slated to play the AFC WEST, and it's March 19th. You know exactly who you're going to play. You just don't know the order. That won't be revealed until April.

What I am testing here is finding out exactly when Madden determines the ORDER of who you play.

And as it turns out, the order of who you play is determined at exactly the same time the actual opponents of who you play are determined (unlike in the real NFL, where it is determined right before the draft). Obviously, games against the other conference rotate every season, but standings still determine two of the 16 games on the schedule (in the real NFL, 6 games are divisional, 4 are versus a division from the other conference, and 4 are against a division in your conference. The final two depend on standings- that is NOT what I'm interested in here. I'm interested in the ORDER).

The relevance:

What if I don't like having four straight road games? It would be nice to reload another save and fix that with another randomly generated ORDER of the standings/rotation determined schedule. Unfortunately, you'd have to go clear back to the end of the previous regular season to do that.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
No. The MATCHUPS remain the same after week 17 no matter what you do. It's the ORDER that I'm concerned with.

Allow me to elaborate. In the REAL NFL, say you're an NFC team slated to play the AFC WEST, and it's March 19th. You know exactly who you're going to play. You just don't know the order. That won't be revealed until April.

What I am testing here is finding out exactly when Madden determines the ORDER of who you play.

And as it turns out, the order of who you play is determined at exactly the same time the actual opponents of who you play are determined (unlike in the real NFL, where it is determined right before the draft). Obviously, games against the other conference rotate every season, but standings still determine two of the 16 games on the schedule (in the real NFL, 6 games are divisional, 4 are versus a division from the other conference, and 4 are against a division in your conference. The final two depend on standings- that is NOT what I'm interested in here. I'm interested in the ORDER).

The relevance:

What if I don't like having four straight road games? It would be nice to reload another save and fix that with another randomly generated ORDER of the standings/rotation determined schedule. Unfortunately, you'd have to go clear back to the end of the previous regular season to do that.
OK I got it. I figured you knew how the opponents are determined. I think there are folks that still think that the determination of opponents is as it was in past where many of the matchups were determined by finishing position. That's disappointing to have to go back that far to fix the scheduling (and you won't know it until you get to that same point in the offseason). Though they should from the outset be able to schedule a relevant league schedule such that teams aren't all scheduled on Thursdays, or no more than 3 road games in a row, etc. It may be worth calling to their attention to shift the generation of the schedule to the off season (and maybe get it right from the outset!). In the Show last year I made a blunder and lost the ability to sign my draft picks after getting through the championship series....it pained me to have to reload a save before the playoffs as it changed the outcomes had enjoyed the previous weeks and took me out of the immersion.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
OK I got it. I figured you knew how the opponents are determined. I think there are folks that still think that the determination of opponents is as it was in past where many of the matchups were determined by finishing position. That's disappointing to have to go back that far to fix the scheduling (and you won't know it until you get to that same point in the offseason). Though they should from the outset be able to schedule a relevant league schedule such that teams aren't all scheduled on Thursdays, or no more than 3 road games in a row, etc. It may be worth calling to their attention to shift the generation of the schedule to the off season (and maybe get it right from the outset!). In the Show last year I made a blunder and lost the ability to sign my draft picks after getting through the championship series....it pained me to have to reload a save before the playoffs as it changed the outcomes had enjoyed the previous weeks and took me out of the immersion.
Well, the preseason schedule is the same every season... with the 49ers playing the Rams in week 1. Realism schmealism.

But IF you aren’t a playoff team (because why would you go backwards if you win the sb), you can protect yourself with an extra save at least.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
Pro

bwburke94's Arena

OVR: 4

Even if you are a playoff team, this should still work, shouldn't it? All you'd need to do is make another save.

• FIRST SAVE: In Week 17, after all games are played but before advancing.
  • SECOND SAVE: At the start of wild card weekend. (If you get a bad schedule, go back to the first save, sim back to wild card weekend, and overwrite this save.)
  • THIRD SAVE: The autosave generated by the second save. Should be at draft week - but you'll never actually need to do anything from this save.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94
Even if you are a playoff team, this should still work, shouldn't it? All you'd need to do is make another save.

• FIRST SAVE: In Week 17, after all games are played but before advancing.
  • SECOND SAVE: At the start of wild card weekend. (If you get a bad schedule, go back to the first save, sim back to wild card weekend, and overwrite this save.)
  • THIRD SAVE: The autosave generated by the second save. Should be at draft week - but you'll never actually need to do anything from this save.
I think it should (haven't tested it after all games are played but the advance hasn't happened yet, FYI), but I just figured no one wants to go through the playoffs and then restart. Because you won't KNOW what the next schedule is until after Free Agency, even thought it's already determined.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »