Home

Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

This is a discussion on Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
The biggest thing for me is this, at default threshold, QB dropbacks are too fast due to too much acceleration (most readily seen on 5-step drops from under center). By raising threshold to 53, it reduces the acceleration quotient from the threshold just enough to slow it down to much more realistic levels. This is critical for CPU timing as their dropbacks are much more in sync with the WR routes being run.
Does it screw up the drop backs the other way if you raise it too far?
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Old 04-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #10
Rookie

Re: Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
- High threshold (80-90) is realistic in terms of actual speed differences between players, if you go by in-game speed vs 40 times. Meaning, high threshold is where you get a realistic difference between what a linemen runs and what a WR runs. It's the realistic difference between a 95 SPD 40 time and an 88 SPD 40 time. Test results are somewhere in page ~5-7ish I think of my user slider thread in the slider forums (RFF's 32-man User v User sliders).

- High threshold makes man coverage much better (read: legitimately viable). You're going to get more cool WR/DB ball animations at the point of catch. WRs wrestling for the ball, DBs swatting at hands to disrupt the catch. This means more catches "in traffic," so personally I'd up catching slider as it goes hand in hand. Man coverage has become a staple (meaning, called 40% or more) of a number of very very good defenses in my 32-man league and high threshold is the key reason, even more than the coverage sliders. And I mean all kinds... C2 man press, standard C1, etc...we have a cool mix of man-heavy teams and zone-heavy teams now. Doubt you will find that on default sliders.

- Obviously speed is minimized with high threshold, but we don't often talk about what takes its place. Acceleration & agility become even more important. Non-ratings things like momentum & pursuit angles become important. You will see slower linemen or LBs catch a faster RB from behind if it's in the first few steps of them getting the ball and they don't have a free runway to accelerate. You will also see this in the NFL, but some folks want to pretend this never happens. Since players are tighter, you get more animations. I consider this a neat side effect, but if you are anti-animation in all ways regardless of the cost, then I would not advise high SPD threshold.

- Net effect: higher threshold = tougher defense. In a game that almost always needs tougher defense. Fewer of what I would call non-read gimme TDs because a WR just straight outran a professional starting caliber CB by 5-10 yds.

- I don't think threshold has a huge impact on zone coverage. Obviously some small effects, like a slower DB who is playing 5-8 yds off the LOS at the snap isn't in much danger of being burned on a streak (realistic) unlike low threshold when even then they could be in danger. I shouldn't say they are NEVER in danger, though. Even on high threshold, if the QB has a ton of time in the pocket, and the DB/WR speed discrepancy is particularly large, and the QB has the THP to launch it waaay downfield...that throw *can* be hit. But that's pretty rarely which is how it should be. No professional DB should be in serious danger of losing to a vert route if they're aligned in off coverage in a C3 shell without biting on some kind of fake.

- In short, if you think that if Player A has 91 SPD they should always outrun player B (89 SPD) in virtually every scenario, then high threshold is not for you. Speed absolutely still matters at 80-90 threshold. Speed WRs are dangerous if you leave them on an island vs a slower DB....but that is far from an automatic TD like on default or lower. Speed backs still break huge gains, even more often than the NFL...but SPD isn't the end-all be-all.

- I also wouldn't advise high threshold if tough defense is not your thing. And if you play short quarters, then tough defense maybe *shouldn't* be your thing unless you want very low scores. If your games have half the snaps of an NFL team, then offense needs to be twice as easy for you to get realistic end-game scores & raw yardage numbers. Your per-play offensive success will be off-the-charts wildly powerful. But there's no way around that math.
I'm looking to join a slider league and am interested in your in depth response to this question. Any open spots?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #11
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakazo
I'm looking to join a slider league and am interested in your in depth response to this question. Any open spots?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thank you--DM'd you response to avoid hijacking thread.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Does it screw up the drop backs the other way if you raise it too far?
The problem at 50 thresh is that there is just a hair too much acceleration (which leads to that gliding animation on dropbacks), by raising the thresh a tad, it fixes the animation issue by allowing for better foot-planting.

So what would happen at max thresh? Not sure, but I don't think it will slow them down more...it's just that the speed rating will then be more dominant over acceleration. The other thing too....you're impacting everyone on the field....it'll just be a totally different game altogether...so it could very well be fine.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #13
Rookie

Threshold is a personal preference as explained by everyone that has posted, however it also aligns the game animations. If you play around the default game speed then 53 is without a doubt your magic number. Higher values definitely makes the game tuff but introduces more warping from my experience. Almost every problem in Madden can be fixed if you have the patience so there is no wrong value.

Last edited by 318boy; 04-24-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #14
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Iíve found that receivers are liable to get pretty good separation at 45, maybe about halfway into their route.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #15
Let's Go Brandon!

Milticket's Arena

OVR: 5

With over 1000 testing hrs logged since release I have threshold set at 53 (sweet spot). I've tested it at 100 & had good results as well, You do have to move your sliders around depending on the threshold you use.

As far as game speed, this yr has been troubling for me. With the 2 man animations there are certain animations that EA seems to speed up the player or players to complete the animation, so your never running 100% on slow or very slow. Ex: You will notice the burst in speeds on QB PA & QB rollouts. My theory is EA has to compensate the animations to make these actually function together & work in the game. I've tested the speed, acceleration, & agility ratings as well at nauseam.
Ori & The Blind Forest (XSX)
Metro Exodus (PS5)

"Players make the NFL money, not the coaches. It's not a 2-way street, follow the bread crumbs."

Last edited by Milticket; 04-24-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Iím intrigued by the thought of new animations showing up with a higher threshold, but even at 50 QBs like Vick or speed HBs get caught from behind by DTs. That should NEVER happen, thereís no excuse for it. Iíve been playing with it set at 3 for awhile and have enjoyed my gameplay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »