Home

Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

This is a discussion on Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReal Milticket
With over 1000 testing hrs logged since release I have threshold set at 53 (sweet spot). I've tested it at 100 & had good results as well, You do have to move your sliders around depending on the threshold you use.

As far as game speed, this yr has been troubling for me. With the 2 man animations there are certain animations that EA seems to speed up the player or players to complete the animation, so your never running 100% on slow or very slow. Ex: You will notice the burst in speeds on QB PA & QB rollouts. My theory is EA has to compensate the animations to make these actually function together & work in the game. I've tested the speed, acceleration, & agility ratings as well at nauseam.
Well not to hijack the thread or get off topic but speed threshold is only a piece of the problem, the real issue is Madden playing like Madden instead football. This has been referred to by many as skynet, all off the speed burst and weird animations are there for a reason. Madden 18 is the best gameplay football game to date after u eliminate skynet, what Im trying to say is Madden plays like Madden on purpose. This years game initially was the worst and most scripted I ever remember and I believe its only going to get worst. The Madden team maybe more talented than we believe but are seriously being held back by higher ups.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:18 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318boy
Well not to hijack the thread or get off topic but speed threshold is only a piece of the problem, the real issue is Madden playing like Madden instead football. This has been referred to by many as skynet, all off the speed burst and weird animations are there for a reason. Madden 18 is the best gameplay football game to date after u eliminate skynet, what Im trying to say is Madden plays like Madden on purpose. This years game initially was the worst and most scripted I ever remember and I believe its only going to get worst. The Madden team maybe more talented than we believe but are seriously being held back by higher ups.
How to eliminate skynet and make the game play right then?
Old 04-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #19
MVP

pimpycraig's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
- High threshold (80-90) is realistic in terms of actual speed differences between players, if you go by in-game speed vs 40 times. Meaning, high threshold is where you get a realistic difference between what a linemen runs and what a WR runs. It's the realistic difference between a 95 SPD 40 time and an 88 SPD 40 time. Test results are somewhere in page ~5-7ish I think of my user slider thread in the slider forums (RFF's 32-man User v User sliders).
Wait a minute, I thought a high threshold (70 or 80) REDUCED the difference between slow and fast players? A lower threshold is what INCREASES the speed difference.. Or am I mistaken?
Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #20
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
Wait a minute, I thought a high threshold (70 or 80) REDUCED the difference between slow and fast players? A lower threshold is what INCREASES the speed difference.. Or am I mistaken?

That's correct. Most Madden players have a very poor sense of the speed differences of NFL players. What a 4.8-4.9 40 time (a fast OL) actually looks like next to a 4.5 (many excellent WRs run in the low 4.5s). The difference between a fast WR and a slow CB is far less than what most think. It's a step, not 5+ yards. It's tight enough that technique, positioning, etc. can effectively eliminate the speed difference on many snaps. This is why drafting a superfast WR in the NFL is useless if he is not also good. But in Madden, especially at default or lower thresholds, these speed demons are king, and the gap between SPD ratings is measurably unrealistic.

People like that football is a game of inches... just not in Madden.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 04-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #21
MVP

pimpycraig's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
That's correct. Most Madden players have a very poor sense of the speed differences of NFL players. What a 4.8-4.9 40 time (a fast OL) actually looks like next to a 4.5 (many excellent WRs run in the low 4.5s). The difference between a fast WR and a slow CB is far less than what most think. It's a step, not 5+ yards. It's tight enough that technique, positioning, etc. can effectively eliminate the speed difference on many snaps. This is why drafting a superfast WR in the NFL is useless if he is not also good. But in Madden, especially at default or lower thresholds, these speed demons are king, and the gap between SPD ratings is measurably unrealistic.

Wow, you said it. Football is such a short area game, and that is not represented in the game. I don't need to be in the open field to put a move on a guy and go by him. And as a receiver, all I need is a step, and the ball is mine, the good receivers understand the art of positioning and legally boxing a defender out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:

Great post Aestis you put it perfectly, its just most of Madden animations are so exaggerated that without some type of separation, 1. the cpu will never throw the pass and 2. Madden has is bad at making receivers drop passses when defenders are nearby. Oh and Shockl3y Im releasing all for Madden 19.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #23
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318boy
1. the cpu will never throw the pass and 2. Madden has is bad at making receivers drop passses when defenders are nearby.

1. I will admit none of what I do has to do with CPU tendencies. That's a whole different beast. I only play user v user, which has some key advantages over having to deal with how sliders impact CPU decision-making. So, fair point.

2. Is fine if you up catching slider significantly to compensate. I would even call this a major secondary benefit of running with high threshold: coverage is tighter, speed is less important, and more catches with defenders not just nearby but right on their butt. Suddenly having high catching ratings matters a lot. I use the Texans and when DeAndre Hopkins went down, I was struggling. No ace route runners to get separation, and more drops as I was forcing the ball into tight coverage. My opponents could run man and it was tough to beat it. All these are sentences you just won't ever see written about default or lower settings. All you need there is speed.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 04-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #24
Rookie

Gotcha, I was merely referring to user vs cpu, skynet on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »