Home

Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

This is a discussion on Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

I wonder if speed thresholds play out differently throughout the sim, competitive and arcade modes. And I dont think I have seen anyone yet using zero threshold this year, is it that bad.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #34
Rookie

Re: Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

I recommend keeping it at default. There is so much gameplay balanced lost where if you try tweaking one aspect of the football game you kill the others. I feel there is not enough separation between the slower and faster players in the game, but I also think there are areas of the game where it would be really detrimental to the game by increasing the difference. If you lost the backside tackles on RBs by DL and LBs you'll have to start compensating by making running different.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:48 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Lower threshold lets the animations play out and less suction blocking. It's not just about speed separation, but actual separation of players. Less warping, less magnetic animations. That's why my sliders are on 0 threshold.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2018, 09:01 AM   #36
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Lower threshold lets the animations play out and less suction blocking. It's not just about speed separation, but actual separation of players. Less warping, less magnetic animations. That's why my sliders are on 0 threshold.
But doesnít that make the game play like Tecmo Bowl?
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Old 04-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #37
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
But doesn’t that make the game play like Tecmo Bowl?

Ultimately at some point every person who wants to customize gameplay, in this case via sliders, is going to have to choose between two philosophies: balancing for visual realism or balancing for realistic outcomes.

It's not a trivial decision and many may not even realize they're making it. But as Madden 18 is not a perfect simulation of real life and kinda doubt M19 is suddenly going to be either, you occasionally must choose between these two ideas that stand at opposition.

While I can measurably say low threshold is not going to lead to the most realistic outcomes in the passing game, I can't submit a strong argument against someone who said, "Low threshold feels smoother to me and the animations/interactions feel more realistic to me." Because 1) there may be some truth to it, 2) what looks & feels realistic or smooth is much tougher to quantify and can be different person to person.

Wanted to put this idea out there, because I've found that sometimes slider discussions are in two different languages. Obviously the holy grail is something that accurately reflects NFL gameplay visually while also providing realistic outcomes, but that's often not possible. Gotta know what you're going for.

99% of what I aim for is outcome-based, but that's not the only definition of realism.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 04-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #38
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
But doesnít that make the game play like Tecmo Bowl?
Definitely not. It's a great base to start from, then you can improve upon it with more slider + penalty values, which is what I focused on.

You will still see small instances of warping, but not as consistently. It really is quite amazing from an animation perspective, when there seems to be much less magnetic interactions. I'd rather try to eliminate any chance of warping, poor collisions, suction blocking, from happening than to allow it. Threshold isn't the only tool for this - but it's a primary base for me this year.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:25 AM   #39
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Definitely not. It's a great base to start from, then you can improve upon it with more slider + penalty values, which is what I focused on.

You will still see small instances of warping, but not as consistently. It really is quite amazing from an animation perspective, when there seems to be much less magnetic interactions. I'd rather try to eliminate any chance of warping, poor collisions, suction blocking, from happening than to allow it. Threshold isn't the only tool for this - but it's a primary base for me this year.
What Iím worried about with such a low slider are two things:

(1) Insta-touchdowns every time the CPU is in press against a fast player.

(2) Fast players bouncing around like Sonic the Hedgehog, losing all weight and momentum.

Does zero do that?
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Old 04-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #40
MVP

pimpycraig's Arena

OVR: 7

Yes, it leads to shootouts. I'm not a fan of 0 threshold.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »