Home

Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

This is a discussion on Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318boy
Okay now in one post Im going to try to explain it. :What is Skynet? Skynet is Madden playing like Madden instead of a football game. It affects your on-the-field gameplay in almost everyway. :How? It makes everything that is happening in Madden predetermined or line up the way it sees fit. This ranges from fatigue, suction tackling, warping, oline blocking, the challenge system, ball physics, and player body physics. The Madden development team didn't lie when they said there was old code in this game. :Explanation, like I mentioned Skynet affects the game in everyway. What most didn't know is that Infinity Engine is still in this game but it is now a physics and animation mix. With Skynet on its really just animation only which makes Madden an animation driven game and very predetermined, not football. Further illustration, when a pass is tipped or fumbled, on your game it pops out in a random way with no respect for physics or what happened to cause it to. With Skynet off, everything that happens just happens. The football is respected as a physical thing and pops out however, lands however and is recovered however. Player models are also respected, meaning knees, feet, hands whatever can impact the ball and change the play. Also the challenge system works and is activated accordingly because the play is no longer predetermined. Momentum, strength and blocking is also respected because there is no warping lineman into positions. What Im saying is Madden 18 is still Madden 18 but without all of the foolishness, Skynet off allows it to become football. :Why would EA do this? After witnessing all of these things my theory is simple, the suits have to want this game to really be what it says E for everyone. This means for 5 year olds and 50 year olds alike. I dont know if everyone realizes how much warping alone produces parity. Not to meantion the competitive crowd (who I follow on other forums) that goes nuts when mistakes happens that they did not cause. This is what we all hoped the sim,competitive and arcade mode would fix. However, I think its more complicated than just the modes because game adjustments seem to carry throughout the entire game, even online. :Why further explained, remember EA Play last year when all of the participants were raving about how much better Madden was, then on release all of them claimed the game they played was a totally different game then what was released. Well Im taking all of these things into consideration when I say the suit have to want the game to play the way it does. I dont believe they are going to take any risk (or significantly change gameplay) if they dont have to. The last times they did it was NBA Elite and Madden with the infinity engine, neither got public approval. Theres much more I can type but Im kind of rambling.
How do you turn OFF skynet?
Old 05-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

Threshold isn't just about speed. The only relevance of speed that I see with lower threshold is the receiver's routes being covered. Just because you send a receiver of 95 speed on a streak, doesn't mean they will beat the 94 speed CB by significant margins. However, if you send a 95 acc receiver on a slant, and a CB with 98 acc, then you're at the mercy of their MCV rating.

The issue with lower threshold is that most do not use the sliders + penalty values to compliment the threshold. In all sets the threshold needs to be the base, then the other values need to compliment it.

If you take zero thresh at default sldiers + penalties, then you may experience the wide open play, or less blocks disengaging, bad pursuit angles - the works.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #51
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Threshold isn't just about speed. The only relevance of speed that I see with lower threshold is the receiver's routes being covered. Just because you send a receiver of 95 speed on a streak, doesn't mean they will beat the 94 speed CB by significant margins. However, if you send a 95 acc receiver on a slant, and a CB with 98 acc, then you're at the mercy of their MCV rating.

The issue with lower threshold is that most do not use the sliders + penalty values to compliment the threshold. In all sets the threshold needs to be the base, then the other values need to compliment it.

If you take zero thresh at default sldiers + penalties, then you may experience the wide open play, or less blocks disengaging, bad pursuit angles - the works.
Well said Matt, threshold is the foundation and everything else is built around the foundation.

Playing:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #52
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10

Trying to decider through different threads to get a clear idea is a challenge

What are the corralations for thresh, penalties and sliders

If thresh is the base.....what penalties+sliders effect what?
What about defensive aids...on or off?

A formula would be helpful

Thanks
Old 05-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #53
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Are you trying to argue for a lower or higher thresh hold?

Since it's 40 yards down field, we have to assume they've reached their top speed. But how long did it take to get there? Furthermore, speed threshold also affects acceleration, doesn't it?
Someone in a full sprint has most definitely not reached their top potential speed within 40 yards. Olympic sprinters are typically still accelerating as they reach the finish at 100m, and the fastest second half of a 200m ever recorded blows the 100m record out of the water.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Someone in a full sprint has most definitely not reached their top potential speed within 40 yards. Olympic sprinters are typically still accelerating as they reach the finish at 100m, and the fastest second half of a 200m ever recorded blows the 100m record out of the water.
Quote:
Unfortunately been down this road way too many times.

It’s the functionality/how the game untilizes the ratings SPD/ACC to drive “animations (plural)” ,and in some instances involved in win chance formulas, not a 1-to-1 representation of the actual 40 time.

The other thing that’s often lost dealing with the SPD/ACC Ratings is that it was mentioned a while back by a dev (Clint I think) that the weight of application is not the same for all positions.
- TE vs WR is one example: both have exact ratings but show different animations/outcomes

A lot I see around this Slider is based on the assumption that SPD/ACC is applied the same for all positions, and it’s not.

So altering will have some type of +/- impact in another area, guaranteed.

Next, is that Game Speed has a difficulty component added to it.
- Slower settings may highlight more fluid animations, but has applications upon gameplay that aid towards the user side.

Lastly, every seam route is run on a target line of the field.
- TE/Slot pos will immediately enter into running animation because they’re already on their target line

- outside WR will step/slide/shift outside to the target line which produces a slight delay as player adjust (no slider/rating edit can altar this)

So many of these speed test that are done are skewed and the Threshold Slider unfortunately doesn’t affect one thing.

Last edited by khaliib; 05-04-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #55
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Olympic racers are not NFL players. Acceleration and quickness is something some of them are the best in the world at.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #56
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
This is not true ....Olympic sprinters such as Bolt typically reach maximum speed at about 50 m ( approx.) And by 100m are starting to decelerate

The 2nd half of a 200m is typically faster because it isn't done from a standing start but from close to top speed from the get go

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »