Home

Ultimate Team now illegal in Belgium and Netherlands

This is a discussion on Ultimate Team now illegal in Belgium and Netherlands within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Ultimate Team now illegal in Belgium and Netherlands

Could be good news long term for franchise modes.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 04-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #10
MVP

briz1046's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
THank god. Make it illegal everywhere and all those salaries can be paid to other people in order to make franchise and gameplay better.

Less total income would inevitably mean less investment across all modes.... sincerely doubt this would have a beneficial effect
Old 04-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #11
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
Less total income would inevitably mean less investment across all modes.... sincerely doubt this would have a beneficial effect
Well to be fair, MUT has made EA a ton of money and Franchise has not seen much improvement from all that extra money MUT brought to the table. So that doesn't work here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #12
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Maybe the potential removal of player packs from MUT, due to other games being affected, assisted in ushering what is believed to be a year of extra focus on Franchise?
Old 04-30-2018, 12:20 AM   #13
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
There won’t be less total income. EA owns the only rights to an NFL game. MUT people would just adapt and play a different mode.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:22 AM   #14
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

There would be other options for selling MUT packs that would not involve gambling. Could sell actual cards. Team player sets. alternate uniforms. sell mut coins to buy cards from auction house.

Could set "quick sell" values to each card in a mut player pack that is purchased with real money. the quick sale for a pack could be any price, but should be marketed as the purchase of coins for use in teh auction house, with a chance to get player cards a user may want.

The overall effect is that the user would ultimately be purchasing coins. But there would be random cards in the pack..The coins would be retrievable by quick selling them. but if the user received a card they liked, they could just keep the card also.

A MUT pack worth 50,000 coins would have 10 cards, for example. Each card would quick sale for 5,000 coins. Thus they user is merely purchasing the coins. If the user gets a card they do like, they keep it.

The quick sale value could expire after 24 hours. This would allow cards to be placed on the auction house.

Cards found by opening packs through solos and online head to head play would still work like the current system. low quick sale value, but auctionable.

(anyway - just a quick brainstorm; plenty of holes in my idea, I am sure)

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 04-30-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:46 AM   #15
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
There would be other options for selling MUT packs that would not involve gambling. Could sell actual cards. Team player sets. alternate uniforms. sell mut coins to buy cards from auction house.

Could set "quick sell" values to each card in a mut player pack that is purchased with real money. the quick sale for a pack could be any price, but should be marketed as the purchase of coins for use in teh auction house, with a chance to get player cards a user may want.

The overall effect is that the user would ultimately be purchasing coins. But there would be random cards in the pack..The coins would be retrievable by quick selling them. but if the user received a card they liked, they could just keep the card also.

A MUT pack worth 50,000 coins would have 10 cards, for example. Each card would quick sale for 5,000 coins. Thus they user is merely purchasing the coins. If the user gets a card they do like, they keep it.

The quick sale value could expire after 24 hours. This would allow cards to be placed on the auction house.

Cards found by opening packs through solos and online head to head play would still work like the current system. low quick sale value, but auctionable.

(anyway - just a quick brainstorm; plenty of holes in my idea, I am sure)
If there is a random element to what you buy, it will be classified as gambling by some municipalities, states and countries, and hence will be banned.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2018, 01:51 AM   #16
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Honestly I think anyone calling for the death of MUT falling out from this should probably temper their expectations a bit.

I think the most likely thing that will happen in a post-lootbox work is that we will see all these lootbox games - MUT included - get morphed into things which meet the letter of the law but still achieve the same goal of monetizing the game beyond the original point of sale.

For example (and this is probably a terrible half-baked), maybe MUT Solos gets morphed into a sort of conquest mode where the user starts with a base team and has to defeat other teams captained by some high-rated player to unlock that player and related cards. The micro transactions could be morphed from buying random cards to buying new solo challenges, i.e. a pay-to-play model with no randomness whatsoever. You'd buy a token to face off against Michael Vick's team instead of hoping to pull him from a pack.

Again, that's probably a terrible idea since I just thought it up in 30 seconds, but my point is I don't see microtransaction-driven gameplay modes such as MUT disappearing just because one possible gameplay mechanic to drive these modes - loot boxes - gets ruled illegal. There are many ways to make money from a video game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »