Home

Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #89
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Best wishes to Rex. I'm not going to speculate on what's happening here because there's already been enough of that. But, I remember reading an interview with Ian a while back (years after he left EA) and him stating how big the Madden project was on a yearly basis and how many people are involved. In a competitive internal environment, I can see how that would really grind on people.

I've always wondered how a job on the Madden team is viewed with the gaming industry. Because it's one of the more popular titles is it a resume builder or is it seen as a "great job"? I'm sure your level of experience would have something to do with it, but was just curious. I remember back in the day here in Chicago, if you were a college graduate and you wanted a consulting job, Anderson was a great job. Brand recognition, but nothing more than a stepping stone to something else.

Anyway, I hope Rex and Ian hook up for a beer or whisky, bourbon, scotch, whatever and reminisce about their days dealing with the Madden monster. Just bring a recorder or take notes!

Best of luck Rex!
Old 05-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #90

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Him leaving don't matter. Madden will continue to be what the suits want it to be. That will never change.
I actually think it will change. I think he was the one thing we had giving what little pushback he could to make the game somewhat close to what we (OS) want.

I think this could have a drastic negative impact on this community.

I don't know anything about the guy but this is someone who is from the competitive side who is now working on gameplay:

https://twitter.com/ImRoseBowl

(I WANT to be clear, he is not Rex's replacement. But he IS working on gameplay)

Just going through his tweets and not know anything about him I can't say I'm confident.

Having said that, I want to admit that I don't want to assume anything and will have an open mind going into the next game.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #91
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
It's doubtful, but I would love to see Josh Looman oversee or have influence over franchise mode (again). Head Coach had EA's best franchise mode of any game they've ever made, and he headed that up. He also did Longshot, which wasn't a mode I played much of, but got very strong reviews from what I recall seeing.

Rex seemed like a good guy. EA suits seem to have struck again.

Looman destroyed franchise mode and refused to interact with the community when he made that decision.

Head coach was good but that doesn’t erase what he did with com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #92
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I think this could have a drastic negative impact on this community.
Honestly, I think communities such as OS are already suffering regardless of any particular EA employee's departure, and it's just the nature of how the internet has evolved.

Tiburon's focus with respect to community engagement has obviously moved away from direct outreach on forums / Reddit / Twitter / etc. and instead become a more indirect process involving streamers, YouTubers, and other community personalities. The streamers and community personalities are basically now what the GameChangers program once was, albeit far more decentralized; the streamers promote the game, engage the audience in discussion about the game, aggregate feedback about the game from their audience, and present that feedback to the developers in an organized and actionable fashion. Compare this approach to a single EA rep trying to parse the hundreds of pages in Madden Wishlist Thread #9503; it's obvious which one is more palatable.

The decentralized approach to feedback also makes life easier for the guys working on the game from a peace of mind standpoint because they don't have to deal with the stress of community outreach. Filtering the wheat from the chaff is a full-time job in-and-of itself, and those guys already have their hands full making the game.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #93
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah, I was a Rex fan. I think he had the passion and the correct vision for the game. I think he wanted it to be as sim as it could be and wanted franchise to be better. I think any programming choices contrary to that had to do with other issues (suits, MUT/money, etc). I think I’ve heard enough interviews with him that could feel how he fought the EA machine for otherwise important legacy issues and whatnot.

And, seriously, I know there’s always going to be those guys that continue to say, ‘this is the same game as last year with a roster update.’ Lol. But, no, that absolutely is not true. Madden 13 was the first (and only) attempt at a true physics engine. I thought that was such a bold decision (although, they went away from this moving forward ☹️). Making the transition to the Xbox one was smoother than Xbox to 360 was. And, the improvements from 25 to 18 can actually be quite striking, imo. The animations may still lack something and/or be similar, but the gameplay absolutely improved. Whether the zones all completely worked properly, I guess we could argue, but, at least, he introduced them. He tried to bring real zone D into the game. He tried to bring some authenticity to the game.

While I’m not in love with the sort of ‘scripted’ animations (as I said earlier, I loved 13 and wanted to see a full physics based game moved forward), his team created the WR/DB interactions that were sorely lacking from previous iterations of the game.

The ball carrier moves have been fine tuned under his watch as well. And, I felt 18 had the smoothest feel to it.

I also like the addition of the different catch types to absolutely dictate how your player should catch the ball in different circumstances.

I think he did a lot to improve this game, so I’ll def miss him. To those that thought he was ‘arrogant’ or whatnot, I’d simply say he was passionate about the game. He loves football and he wanted to make the game be the best he could. He was simply limited to suit decisions and other limiting factors any SW team faces, probably.

I def worry the next guy will be a complete corporate shell. Lol. That’s the worst, and would completely destroy the progress made over the past few years. I mean, really, what if M20 came out with no franchise at all??!! Lol. MUT only Madden, now, boys!!! Lol

Ugghhh. Oh well. It was a nice run. Thank you, Rex, for creating 4 of the best maddens to date (13, 16-18). Wish u the best and can understand if u got burnt out dealing with all the nonsense of EA and trying to satisfy every madden player.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #94
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

I know Rex's footprint will be on M19...Just thinking, will the new team update Sim mode as I assume it will be in M19? Will it be in Madden 20 at all?

I like the idea behind the mode separation. I am going to believe Clint will help to squash fears in the sim community.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #95
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Whether there was friction between Rex and higher-ups, who knows, but I think it's clear that the direction of Madden is competitive/e-sports, and continuing to be all in on MUT.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #96
MVP

cthurt's Arena

OVR: 3

I was never a fan of the CFM mode since it was featured in Madden 13 but I did love Rex energy and his communication with us. Best of luck my guy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »