Home

Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 22: 11 Features to Improve Stadium Creator
MXGP 2021 Review
Football Manager 22 Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-03-2018, 10:20 PM   #105
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I basically agree with you that online competitive play - in MUT and Franchise both - is going to be the promotional focus of Madden going forward. Really, that direction has been clear since M16.

With all that said, I think we can all agree that the user vs CPU experience doesn't remotely prepare a new or even a veteran player for online competitive play. On the field, the CPU doesn't even attempt 75% of the pre-snap adjustments the top competitive Madden players are routinely using every play, and that's a problem. Tiburon necessarily must continue to invest in the single-player experience in order to groom the stick skills and strategic thinking abilities of the game's player base and thus increase Madden's competitive player population, else it will not be a successful competitive game.
If they go the direction that you suggest and change the single player experience to be a preparatory tool for online competitive play, then they better hope that they can replace with new players all of the traditional User vs CPU players who won't play the game anymore, because they have no interest in the playing a game where the CPU mimics the play style of competitive players. I would argue that most of the single players gamers still want a game playing experience that more closely resembles authentic NFL style football, not competitive Madden football. Those gameplay experiences are mutually exclusive.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2018, 11:46 PM   #106
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

With Rex gone, I hope EA Tib removes all doubt and stops any pretense of NFL realism, other than visuals and goes unabashed gamey, "competitive" or whatever they call the last decade plus. Then whatever happens with it going forward, any pursuit of realism can't be pointed to as a scapegoat, savior, benefit of the doubt or anything. I've gotten over Madden being what it is but at least that happening would hopefully stifle the nonsense in the discussion, imo, that EA Tib has any intent or concern of Madden and any part of it, outside of visuals, being realistic. I've quoted realistic claims made by various entities associated with the creation of Madden before but even then I was doing so to hold them accountable for their claims and to rebut ignorance of them ever making said claims, not because I ever thought or currently think, they'll honor them.

Also, the belief that such a historically buggy, insiders admitted mess of coding, can be turned into a successful E Sport for the masses, is laughable to me. I see CFM, Longshot, Madden ESports, NBA Live, hell, anything other than MUT, as EA TIb just throwing ish against the wall to see what sticks because thanks to MUT and the exclusive, they can do whatever and Madden will still be profitable. Creative Directors can leave, people can "whistleblow", scorned Game Changers can make tell all videos, etc, none of it matters in relation to the game's financial success, that's the reality and that's cool.

What I would like to see though and have optimism about, is that the discussion around the game and football genre as a whole, can be honest and fact based.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:49 PM   #107
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Here is an idea I have noted in my own game journal.

The cpu needs to call plays that are being used by players online - essentially the popular plays. (At least as an option). BUT, rarely is a top user going to run a stock play..The pre-snap adjusted plays need to be saved and made available to play against and use in profiles and game plans.

This would be a means to help new users with learning the game without being pushed into the deep end. It would also allow veterans another way to practice when not online.

I love playing games like Battlefield 1..What makes that game so easy to play online against other players is, my mistakes are not highlighted because I am on a team of other players. I can hide myself. Play a support role until I learn the game.

Being a new player in Madden can be intimidating and when u have to play alone, or even in MUT squads, a new user is still exposed for their lack of skill and game knowledge, with no place to lay low through the learning process. Many users may just avoid the experience altogether.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:53 PM   #108
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I wonder if Nano detection will be removed?
Old 05-04-2018, 12:06 AM   #109
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Meh, the core game of Madden has been in place since 2005. It really doesn’t matter who’s in charge to me, Madden will always be madden until they redo it from scratch.

Ian, Rex, whoever. Each game is a slightly improved version of the last.

If you liked madden 18, I expect you’ll like 19. If you’re in the Madden is trash group, that’s not likely to change either.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #110
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Man, I didn't know that they were using competitive online H2H guys for the development of M19.

What a terrible decision. Online play remains a cesspool...and I'm in a competitive sim league!

They need to focus on real NFL concepts, movements, and animations. The competitive guys will adjust.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 05-04-2018, 01:07 AM   #111
Rookie

Not sure how to feel about it, Rex always talked about what direction he wanted Madden to go and sounded on point but Madden never seemed to match what he said or overly focused on new innovations each year that didn't work. Will be interesting to see what changes if anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2018, 02:36 AM   #112
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

I hope the person that replaces Rex will prioritize animations and player movement. Oh and get rid of the Game Changers program, it's been a failure imo, they are used to mitigate online criticism of Madden, they had minimum affect of the actual outcome of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »