Home

Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-04-2018, 03:38 AM   #113
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
With Rex gone, I hope EA Tib removes all doubt and stops any pretense of NFL realism, other than visuals and goes unabashed gamey, "competitive" or whatever they call the last decade plus. Then whatever happens with it going forward, any pursuit of realism can't be pointed to as a scapegoat, savior, benefit of the doubt or anything. I've gotten over Madden being what it is but at least that happening would hopefully stifle the nonsense in the discussion, imo, that EA Tib has any intent or concern of Madden and any part of it, outside of visuals, being realistic. I've quoted realistic claims made by various entities associated with the creation of Madden before but even then I was doing so to hold them accountable for their claims and to rebut ignorance of them ever making said claims, not because I ever thought or currently think, they'll honor them.

Also, the belief that such a historically buggy, insiders admitted mess of coding, can be turned into a successful E Sport for the masses, is laughable to me. I see CFM, Longshot, Madden ESports, NBA Live, hell, anything other than MUT, as EA TIb just throwing ish against the wall to see what sticks because thanks to MUT and the exclusive, they can do whatever and Madden will still be profitable. Creative Directors can leave, people can "whistleblow", scorned Game Changers can make tell all videos, etc, none of it matters in relation to the game's financial success, that's the reality and that's cool.

What I would like to see though and have optimism about, is that the discussion around the game and football genre as a whole, can be honest and fact based.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
I hope the person that replaces Rex will prioritize animations and player movement. Oh and get rid of the Game Changers program, it's been a failure imo, they are used to mitigate online criticism of Madden, they had minimum affect of the actual outcome of the game.
Just real quick regarding visuals. Do not underestimate how important that is the a football simulation. ESPN 2K game play was NOT nearly as good as nostalgic fans pretend it was. But it LOOKED like football (compared to the competition). THAT was why the "game play" was so good.

Yeah, we need weight to matter, we need the CPU to pay realistically, all of that. But the VISUALS, including how the players move and interact, is of absolute fundamental importance to creating an NFL simulation.

There are obviously other factors, but don't underestimate that part of it.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Old 05-04-2018, 06:42 AM   #114
Rookie

OVR: 1

All i can say is thank god rec had gone. Ea n him have ruined madden. Every dsmn year you say its more sim. Thus game looks great but plays like crap. The eay people move, the way you play doesnt even feel lije football.

Maybe this will do 2 things. Get madden being great again and maybe ea will lose the license so wr can get more football games. Im so damn hsppy about this u have no idea. Year after year we have been lied to over n over n ur day has come.

Let this turnover fix this damn game bc we needed a change and i think ea finally realized rex eas letting people down

What great news. So pumped. Cya rex .
Old 05-04-2018, 06:55 AM   #115

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
I hope the person that replaces Rex will prioritize animations and player movement. Oh and get rid of the Game Changers program, it's been a failure imo, they are used to mitigate online criticism of Madden, they had minimum affect of the actual outcome of the game.
The GameChangers aren't a Madden thing, they are an EA thing.

Rex, nor anyone on the Madden team has anything to do with their implementation or "shutting the program down."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #116
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Doesn't matter who is running the ship, we've heard it all before Ian tried to make the game more realistic and ended up leaving , same deal with Rex. It was never officially said but I'm betting both left because in the end they were not allowed to make the game into what they wanted. The powers that be want Madden to be a competitive MUT cheese fest and that's what it will always be. That's were the money is. I'll play my 10 hours of Madden 19 on EA access but it will have to blow me away to get me to buy it. If it's only a decent game I'll wait a year and buy it for $11.00. I can't keep supporting this crap year after year.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #117
Rookie

mlb61's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
With Rex gone, I hope EA Tib removes all doubt and stops any pretense of NFL realism, other than visuals and goes unabashed gamey, "competitive" or whatever they call the last decade plus. Then whatever happens with it going forward, any pursuit of realism can't be pointed to as a scapegoat, savior, benefit of the doubt or anything. I've gotten over Madden being what it is but at least that happening would hopefully stifle the nonsense in the discussion, imo, that EA Tib has any intent or concern of Madden and any part of it, outside of visuals, being realistic. I've quoted realistic claims made by various entities associated with the creation of Madden before but even then I was doing so to hold them accountable for their claims and to rebut ignorance of them ever making said claims, not because I ever thought or currently think, they'll honor them.

Also, the belief that such a historically buggy, insiders admitted mess of coding, can be turned into a successful E Sport for the masses, is laughable to me. I see CFM, Longshot, Madden ESports, NBA Live, hell, anything other than MUT, as EA TIb just throwing ish against the wall to see what sticks because thanks to MUT and the exclusive, they can do whatever and Madden will still be profitable. Creative Directors can leave, people can "whistleblow", scorned Game Changers can make tell all videos, etc, none of it matters in relation to the game's financial success, that's the reality and that's cool.

What I would like to see though and have optimism about, is that the discussion around the game and football genre as a whole, can be honest and fact based.
Whom do you know to keep coming back from the dead? (Of being banned.)

Last edited by mlb61; 05-05-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #118
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Just real quick regarding visuals. Do not underestimate how important that is the a football simulation. ESPN 2K game play was NOT nearly as good as nostalgic fans pretend it was. But it LOOKED like football (compared to the competition). THAT was why the "game play" was so good.

Yeah, we need weight to matter, we need the CPU to pay realistically, all of that. But the VISUALS, including how the players move and interact, is of absolute fundamental importance to creating an NFL simulation.

There are obviously other factors, but don't underestimate that part of it.
My bad, maybe the word "graphics " was a better choice than visuals because I certainly wasn't trying to refer to things like player movement, player interaction, animations, etc, even though they are seen. I just meant the NFL cosmetics that make for photo realistic stills, which is the only area, imo, where NFL realism has been a focus in Madden currently.

Just think about how telling it is that people like Ian and Rex have said they had to push hard to add NFL football substance into Madden, an alleged NFL football game, I don't recall hearing that from devs working on FIFA, NBA2K or The Show. It's funny the way marketing permeates and dominates every facet of Madden, over actual substance. It's been pointed out plenty over the years and it's still true today, imo, in spite of the people working on the game, the tech they use, etc, EA just keeps using NFL branding, not substance, to sell people EA football.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #119
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Longshot will continue to be a focus, at least this year. Though major improvements may be needed; specifically a direction which allows the player to play games. It would be even better if the user could create their own player to use in Longshot. (this creates a personal attachment). I would hope this year's version will provide more content and maybe connections to Franchise and MUT.

The problem with Madden is, even if it is critically acclaimed as an improved game, its sales numbers can fluctuate along with viewership of the actual NFL and its popularity. Thus, to be safe, EA needs a mode that is more than just football. This attempts to provide consistent sales numbers regardless of the NFL numbers in viewership.

Game play, as much as we love it on this forum, will not attract everyone. MUT's viewer focus with Disney and tournaments will require animation improvements. Glitches will have to be addressed. The competitive community may love to see more pre-snap control; the removal of nano blitz detection, and so on...These things would be addressed..

In the end, the game will push for a story to attract people on a greater level than just a love for football.

If I were pitching for animation improvements, I would stress the need to provide animations that promote the safety conscious image the NFL is striving for; a lot of Madden hits are nasty looking from a safety perspective.

In my opinion, a robust player creation system, such as in MLB the SHow, and the ability to use your created character throughout many game modes, would help to improve longevity. Though I would need to look at such numbers from other games to see if my opinion held water.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 05-04-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #120
Banned

OVR: 7

I believe Madden 18 did not do as well financially as EA portrays. Longshot was a failure by most peopleís accounts. MUT is now being seen by most as a grind year to year. Franchise is boring and the developers decided to leave it untouched, alienating the CFM guys/ core madden players. Result...Rex leaves.

You canít get concrete numbers on Madden sells. But using past data, Madden 18 lags. Also, if Madden was so successful you just donít have this kind of turnover normally. My two cents.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »