Home

Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 22: 11 Features to Improve Stadium Creator
MXGP 2021 Review
Football Manager 22 Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #121
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I basically agree with you that online competitive play - in MUT and Franchise both - is going to be the promotional focus of Madden going forward. Really, that direction has been clear since M16.

With all that said, I think we can all agree that the user vs CPU experience doesn't remotely prepare a new or even a veteran player for online competitive play. On the field, the CPU doesn't even attempt 75% of the pre-snap adjustments the top competitive Madden players are routinely using every play, and that's a problem. Tiburon necessarily must continue to invest in the single-player experience in order to groom the stick skills and strategic thinking abilities of the game's player base and thus increase Madden's competitive player population, else it will not be a successful competitive game.
You sound like you want single player to be as devoid of simulation football as MUT is. I hear no lamentations here lol. But seriously, If this is truly where the game is going, count me out as a customer going forward.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #122
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
You sound like you want single player to be as devoid of simulation football as MUT is. I hear no lamentations here lol. But seriously, If this is truly where the game is going, count me out as a customer going forward.
Nah. I prefer "sim" and I rarely play MUT. I'm a still franchise guy, and I've run a online Madden league with my friends for the past several years.

My point in that post which is getting glossed over is that there are ways to very easily argue for "sim" improvements to the game even assuming the development of the game takes a competitive focus. The game isn't a perfect competitive game yet, either.

Regardless of game style either of us prefer, we both know Madden will receive authenticity improvements anyway, as it has literally every single year it has existed.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #123
Pro

tarheelguy4736's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Doesn't matter who is running the ship, we've heard it all before Ian tried to make the game more realistic and ended up leaving , same deal with Rex. It was never officially said but I'm betting both left because in the end they were not allowed to make the game into what they wanted. The powers that be want Madden to be a competitive MUT cheese fest and that's what it will always be. That's were the money is. I'll play my 10 hours of Madden 19 on EA access but it will have to blow me away to get me to buy it. If it's only a decent game I'll wait a year and buy it for $11.00. I can't keep supporting this crap year after year.
If you go to the investor section of EA's website and read the latest financial report for 2017, they emphasize Ultimate Team for all of their sports games. They strongly push micro-transactions in that report and how much it affects the bottom line. Sadly, this is how the gaming industry is being conducted now. I just fear franchise will continue to get less and less attention (not from the development team, but from the higher ups). It's just how the market is right now. Maybe it will change but its just how it is.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #124
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Nah. I prefer "sim" and I rarely play MUT. I'm a still franchise guy, and I've run a online Madden league with my friends for the past several years.

My point in that post which is getting glossed over is that there are ways to very easily argue for "sim" improvements to the game even assuming the development of the game takes a competitive focus. The game isn't a perfect competitive game yet, either.

Regardless of game style either of us prefer, we both know Madden will receive authenticity improvements anyway, as it has literally every single year it has existed.
I have always tried to stress that the CFM crowd is actually a loyal repeat customer that EA wants to convert to MUT. In order to keep them as a potential MUT customer they have to continue to provide them with content to keep them purchasing and continuing EA's chance to convert them to MUT. I expect at some point you will see MUT rewards for Franchise achievement, as in win a SB for instance in CFM and get a MUT pack. By having that base of packs to start from some CFM guys could be tempted later in the release to cross over and therefor opening up the chance they could eventually purchase additional packs.

People need to realize that EA sees value in CFM as a potential revenue source which bodes well for it's continued sustainability.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #125
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelR2000
I believe Madden 18 did not do as well financially as EA portrays. Longshot was a failure by most peopleís accounts. MUT is now being seen by most as a grind year to year. Franchise is boring and the developers decided to leave it untouched, alienating the CFM guys/ core madden players. Result...Rex leaves.

You canít get concrete numbers on Madden sells. But using past data, Madden 18 lags. Also, if Madden was so successful you just donít have this kind of turnover normally. My two cents.
Judging by the overall vibe on here, I'd have to say at the very least that they lost sales from the franchise crowd and unless they knock it out of the park with cfm improvements this year that trend will continue. Now whether or not they made up for that with MUT, I have no idea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #126
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Wasn't he also the lead for Head Coach 09 and had some role in the PS2 gen franchise modes?
He did both, Head Coach 09 and the CFM mode as we know it today. Vastly different game styles but the same guy.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #127
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamelover
Madden Franchise Mode is doomed, the rest of the Madden team only cares about micro-transactions like Madden Ultimate Team
I've never been against the introduction of micro transactions in CFM, providing they are optional (and not something that you need to buy in order to compete). If it makes the franchise mode better, I'm all for it.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #128
@MikeLowe47

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Looman destroyed franchise mode and refused to interact with the community when he made that decision.

Head coach was good but that doesnít erase what he did with com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Connected Franchise Mode is still the only fully functional online league, and he pulled that off years ago while other studios are removing it entirely from their game.

By opening up CFM and giving more control for commissioners to build their league around community, we won't need all of these bells and whistles--we'll build them ourselves.

See post 2 in this thread I posted a while back about what something like this could look like: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...l-mock-up.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »