Home

Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-04-2018, 11:37 PM   #145
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I think this will result in a step back for the series, but its not all unexpected. I remember watching Rex's interviews this past cycle and he wasn't exactly hiding the fact that he wasn't thrilled with certain decisions or mandates that were passed down (e.g. Longshot).

He just didn't seem to have the same level of excitement and pride in the game as he had in years past.

Yeah, I noticed that right before Madden 18 released, youtubers would host the Madden developers on their channel. An interviewer asked if he was proud of Madden 18 relative to his other previous titles, and Rex struggled to answer the question before reluctantly saying he likes where the title ended up - avoiding the actual question altogether.

You could kind of sense that the politics had beaten him down in my opinion. This often the case in creative industries.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2018, 11:37 PM   #146
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
I'm a little worried. If he was openly against the focus on Longshot then it sounds like his thinking was in line with my own.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:51 AM   #147
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
CFM heads have traditionally been pretty loyal, but that will cease to be the case if the mode has another year like 18 where it was given minimal resources/improvements. We know all the reasons why that happened, and many of us gave them a pass primarily due to Rex's transparency on the issue.

We know that CFM may be a means to an end for many of the executives in the company, but if they mess around and have another year with limited improvements in CFM they can forget about those players as a potential revenue source because many of us will be done with the series.
CFM is the only mode I play in Madden. I've never really cared for online head-to-head and the mere presence of MUT and what it would mean for progress in the other game modes irked me from the get-go. If Franchise mode doesn't see significant upgrades in 19, I won't be buying 19. I hope all the other CFM/Franchise diehards follow suit.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:18 AM   #148
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Haven't read most of the replies. I'll give my Madden experience the last few years (under Rex) and my concerns going forward.

The last two Maddens I have played were 15 and currently playing 18. 15 had a ton of issues and I felt like 17 really did a great job of making the gameplay better and fixing a lot of those issues within franchise mode. I didn't play 17, but watched enough videos to get a sense of it. And 18 only confirmed that 17 was a success and an improvement upon it. It has had its issues, but nothing game-breaking and no ongoing bugs that seriously dampen the overall experience.

The last game I was a part of a community team that worked alongside a game's development team was Dark Age of Camelot. And funny enough that game was also handled by EA, but later passed off to an EA team that broke off into another smaller company to handle a bunch of EA's older online games (Broadsword). Things were going well and I liked the direction of the game. But there were definitely some radical ideas being thrown around by some of the developers. But one developer seemed to understand how the game should continue to be balanced and to improve upon that. That developer moved on and the game went entirely the wrong direction (for me). It has been 3 years since I put down DAoC permanently.

I don't expect anything radical like that to happen in a sports game as opposed to a fantasy MMORPG. Madden will continue to be a football game. But I will say that this has me seriously concerned about the franchise mode. MUT is clearly the money maker. And competitive mode is also a money maker due to online gaming and tournaments. We can only hope there are still people on the team that want to maintain and improve the franchise mode.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:35 AM   #149
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Never was his biggest fan, but I wish the best for him and his family. After doing some research, I realized that he isnít entirely to blame for CFMís failure. He does/did care for the Sim community and I think he wasnít able to show it because of the suits.

Now if only we could get rid of the AI Director...Iím kidding, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-05-2018, 06:19 AM   #150
Rookie

btvs's Arena

OVR: 6

When I come on these message boards or go on twitter all I ever see is loyal madden gamers asking for a better franchise mode. We have been asking for years!!! If they go another year without a massive overhaul I'm so done with the game. so tired of ea spitting in my face.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #151
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
CFM heads have traditionally been pretty loyal, but that will cease to be the case if the mode has another year like 18 where it was given minimal resources/improvements. We know all the reasons why that happened, and many of us gave them a pass primarily due to Rex's transparency on the issue.

We know that CFM may be a means to an end for many of the executives in the company, but if they mess around and have another year with limited improvements in CFM they can forget about those players as a potential revenue source because many of us will be done with the series.
If they do this again for 19 there will be alot of CFM people walking away from madden. I stated this early on in madden 18. They are playing with fire here. People want to talk all they want about MUT sales, but people must stop acting as if the sales generated by people who just play CFM does not earn EA money. It does , as well it also boosts those launch sales numbers( which should be clear to anyone now in days that is a big deal to these companies ).

If they dont do much for CFM again , many will be walking away from Madden for good. Why? because we know there are too many actually good games out there to play and even if we love football, we are tired of being . This will be the final straw for many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I think this will result in a step back for the series, but its not all unexpected. I remember watching Rex's interviews this past cycle and he wasn't exactly hiding the fact that he wasn't thrilled with certain decisions or mandates that were passed down (e.g. Longshot).

He just didn't seem to have the same level of excitement and pride in the game as he had in years past.

Yeah , i noticed this as well , numerous times he spoke , it was evident he was not that happy with some of the things the marketing and suits wanted to do.

I also called this a couple years back. If Rex really was fighting for simulation football and for CFM, it would not be long before he left. Because who wants to keep working for people who refuse to let you lead, when thats what your job title is? I mean, if he was fighting for those things, he had to be a constant battle with those above him to get anything he actually wanted done. Between that, being forced to hype up the comp tourney , and basically having most all the blame fall back on him ( by the community he might have wanted to help and make the game for ) because of the choices those above him forced ...... it was only a matter of time. No one wants to work in an environment like that, no matter how much money they are making. I knew this was coming . After hearing his tone and his wording last year, he was not happen with numerous choices those above him made. Dont blame him for leaving and wish him the best.

Now, what i feel is most likely here is just bad news for us . The suits are probably also tired of having someone question what they say must happen as well. They too are probably wore out by all the discussions and arguments that took place over the last 6 years. Which really makes me feel like , they will want to put in Rex's place a "yes man" . Someone who will more likely than not , not question what the suits say needs to happen or be in game. Someone who will more often side with them and just do what they ask without alot of discussions about it. Maybe im wrong, but i dont see the suits wanting to hire someone in , knowing they may have more battles ahead of getting what they want in and having someone push back on it .They too are probably tired of that now and will be looking for someone they can groom how they want to make their life easier.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2018, 05:55 PM   #152
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
I'm big into eSports, I watch hours & hours, probably more year-round hours than I watch NFL + NBA combined. And I am convinced EA is making a mistake to invest so heavily into trying to make Madden a leading eSport. For a variety of reasons, I think it's never going to happen. It'll never be more than a niche audience, in my opinion, and they'd get a better return on their dollars investing elsewhere.

Spoiler
Agreed, over the years I've been posting similar sentiments, as someone that has previously played Madden competitively for money and other prizes, I couldn't see such a niche' experience being successful in broader ESports, without a major overhaul to flat out complete rebuild from scratch. I often compare it to online poker but with Madden they can't have that "Widow Maker" moment that makes the masses feel anyone willing to apply themselves can compete and win, due to the current structure of the game.

@howboutdat, I'm not sure how relevant the "fight" is from any Creative Director or anyone of that ilk, we have seen this type people come and go yet Madden has been Madden. For example I remember Ian stating how he worked so hard personally to add in surprise onside kicks to some past Madden. Kudos to Ian for the effort but at the end of the day that didn't impact the overall game or future of the franchise. Point being at the end of the day, whoever EA hires into these type positions are just there to put their creative spin on tried and true EA Football/Madden, not emulate NFL football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »