Home

Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #169
MVP
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jan 2011
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Well I would imagine you would have to present evidence regarding your issue AND present a compelling argument for why it is relevant to the players and their brand, etc.

However, I'm not just shooting the shhh, so to speak. I actually did this several years ago, and got an email response from Carl Francis, to whom I presented picture evidence of how EA was failing the brand (Carl Francis was then the Director of Communications. Not sure now). I asked him to forward the email to George Atallah. He told me he'd forward my email to "the appropriate individual," and coincidentally the very next Madden they fixed the 49ers helmets. Did he actually forward the email? Did it make a difference? I don't know. But I do know the 49ers haven't had flat tan helmets since.

Granted, it could have been coincidence. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation. But I got a response from the F'ning NFLPA, and it "just so happened" that shortly after the issue was fixed.

So, I'm not saying it will really do anything. But if you can find a very compelling argument, and solid evidence backing it up, about how EA Tiburon might be harming the player's brand (or the league's), you just might get a response, and it just might lead to something happening.
The relationship isn't ending over a letter writing campaign. EA has held up their end of the bargain providing the monetary compensation they promise without fuss. As the NFLPA pointed out in the past EA is one of their best partners they do business with. Atallah has commented on these issues before and has basically said the license isn't going anywhere.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter @T4Verts
T4VERTS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #170
MVP
 
howboutdat's Arena
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,912
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Letters to the NFLPA might help, but only if you can argue the NFL brand or players are being misrepresented. That helped get metallic gold helmets for the 49ers several years ago.
while it sounds good, the facts is , the ONLY thing that will change minds is simple..... lack of $$ coming in. Launch numbers have been well stated by numerous people its a very big thing to companies. Having much lower launch numbers is the only thing that will really bring about real change . Outside of that, what real reason do they have? If people are complaining about the "direction" of the game, but still buying it in the same amount of numbers, what real reason do they have to change? Its simple business economics . Anything short of that, is not really going to change things. But people so bent on the addiction of having madden at launch...... so we keep getting the same thing.

There are two other football games coming out this year. Are they on level with madden? No , not yet, but they are also made by much much smaller dev teams as well do not have anywhere near the financial backing EA has . However , simulation football and franchise seem to be actual focuses. I really hope people will support those two games and help them gain more money to continue improving. They are the closest things to competition EA has had in a long time, and competition is the only other thing that will move EA to do more.Because again it goes back to sales and not wanting to lose them.
__________________
Yup, i said it !



Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
howboutdat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #171
MVP
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jan 2011
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
while it sounds good, the facts is , the ONLY thing that will change minds is simple..... lack of $$ coming in. Launch numbers have been well stated by numerous people its a very big thing to companies. Having much lower launch numbers is the only thing that will really bring about real change . Outside of that, what real reason do they have? If people are complaining about the "direction" of the game, but still buying it in the same amount of numbers, what real reason do they have to change? Its simple business economics . Anything short of that, is not really going to change things. But people so bent on the addiction of having madden at launch...... so we keep getting the same thing.

There are two other football games coming out this year. Are they on level with madden? No , not yet, but they are also made by much much smaller dev teams as well do not have anywhere near the financial backing EA has . However , simulation football and franchise seem to be actual focuses. I really hope people will support those two games and help them gain more money to continue improving. They are the closest things to competition EA has had in a long time, and competition is the only other thing that will move EA to do more.Because again it goes back to sales and not wanting to lose them.
Saying these game are competition to EA is like saying the CFL is competition to the NFL. They are both football, but the NFL doesn't think twice about the CFL and what they are doing.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter @T4Verts
T4VERTS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #172
MVP
 
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Dec 2009
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
while it sounds good, the facts is , the ONLY thing that will change minds is simple..... lack of $$ coming in. Launch numbers have been well stated by numerous people its a very big thing to companies. Having much lower launch numbers is the only thing that will really bring about real change . Outside of that, what real reason do they have? If people are complaining about the "direction" of the game, but still buying it in the same amount of numbers, what real reason do they have to change? Its simple business economics . Anything short of that, is not really going to change things. But people so bent on the addiction of having madden at launch...... so we keep getting the same thing.

There are two other football games coming out this year. Are they on level with madden? No , not yet, but they are also made by much much smaller dev teams as well do not have anywhere near the financial backing EA has . However , simulation football and franchise seem to be actual focuses. I really hope people will support those two games and help them gain more money to continue improving. They are the closest things to competition EA has had in a long time, and competition is the only other thing that will move EA to do more.Because again it goes back to sales and not wanting to lose them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
The relationship isn't ending over a letter writing campaign. EA has held up their end of the bargain providing the monetary compensation they promise without fuss. As the NFLPA pointed out in the past EA is one of their best partners they do business with. Atallah has commented on these issues before and has basically said the license isn't going anywhere.
As I said in my other posts, I not only received an email response from Carl Francis (at the time the NFLPA Director of Communications, second on the list behind George Atallah on their contacts list) about my issue back in 2013, he said he'd forward it to the appropriate individual, and the very next madden the issue was resolved.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=167

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=168


And once again, a screen cap of my email exchange (EDIT- click it to make it bigger). And you'll note that by the end of the Madden cycle the 49ers had metallic helmets.





So yeah. Maybe my three year long pestering campaign involving every email and contact I could find connected to EA/Tiburon, the NFLPA, the NFL, and the 49ers had nothing to do with it. But that's a response from the (at the time) Director of Communications from the NFLPA, so don't try to act like they won't at least occasionally listen. And as I said, whether or not this exchange had anything to do with it, the issue has been resolved ever since, hasn't it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I am going to create a team called "the gay town butt pirates" and hurt your already diminishing image
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 05-08-2018 at 09:16 AM.
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #173
MVP
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jan 2011
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
As I said in my other posts, I not only received an email response from Carl Francis (at the time the NFLPA Director of Communications, second on the list behind George Atallah on their contacts list) about my issue back in 2013, he said he'd forward it to the appropriate individual, and the very next madden the issue was resolved.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=167

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=168


And once again, a screen cap of my email exchange. And you'll note that by the end of the Madden cycle the 49ers had metallic helmets.





So yeah. Maybe my three year long pestering campaign involving every email I and contact I could find connected to EA/Tiburon, the NFLPA, the NFL, and the 49ers had nothing to do with it. But that's a response from the (at the time) Director of Communications from the NFLPA, so don't try to act like they won't at least occasionally listen. And as I said, whether or not this exchange had anything to do with it, the issue has been resolved ever since, hasn't it?
It's cool you are an eternal optimist but it isn't happening. Even assuming you had anything to do with the helmet change, that isn't the same as blowing up a massive corporate deal. Atallah has said publicly in response to complaints about Madden that they don't care that some people don't like the game, or that there is an exclusive license.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter @T4Verts
T4VERTS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #174
MVP
 
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Dec 2009
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
It's cool you are an eternal optimist but it isn't happening. Even assuming you had anything to do with the helmet change, that isn't the same as blowing up a massive corporate deal. Atallah has said publicly they don't care that some people don't like the game, or that there is an exclusive license.
Oh no, I'm not talking about the exclusive license. I'm talking about finding some way to formulate an argument that something in the game is potentially harmful to the player's brand.

Of course, what genius is going to figure that out, I don't know, since MUT is probably loved by the NFLPA.

But the point I am trying to make is this: IF such a genius exists, and IF such a genius can find a good way to spin that neglecting Franchise or neglecting to improve it more than has been done (or game play, or whatever issue) is harmful to the players and their brands, then it is not entirely impossible that someone at the NFLPA would listen.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I am going to create a team called "the gay town butt pirates" and hurt your already diminishing image
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #175
MVP
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jan 2011
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Oh no, I'm not talking about the exclusive license. I'm talking about finding some way to formulate an argument that something in the game is potentially harmful to the player's brand.

Of course, what genius is going to figure that out, I don't know, since MUT is probably loved by the NFLPA.

But the point I am trying to make is this: IF such a genius exists, and IF such a genius can find a good way to spin that neglecting Franchise is harmful to the players and their brands, then it is not entirely impossible that someone at the NFLPA would listen.
Not happening either. Contracts are written in a way with these kind of deals that there are very specific thresholds that must be met to void the agreement. The idea it could be achieved via "neglecting franchise" is a pipe dream. No one will be able to show SPECIFIC damages based on not being able to watch a weekly wrap up show or whatever else people want in franchise. You can't argue it could be, or it may be, you have to show direct harm and in this case there is no sane person that believes franchise is harming players.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter @T4Verts
T4VERTS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #176
MVP
 
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Dec 2009
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
Not happening either. Contracts are written in a way with these kind of deals that there are very specific thresholds that must be met to void the agreement. The idea it could be achieved via "neglecting franchise" is a pipe dream. No one will be able to show SPECIFIC damages based on not being able to watch a weekly wrap up show or whatever else people want in franchise. You can't argue it could be, or it may be, you have to show direct harm and in this case there is no sane person that believes neglecting franchise is harming players.
ftfy

Anyway, yes, that's why I said there'd have to be some genius out there to figure out some way.


If my email campaign about the 49ers helmets made any difference, the fact is compiling the evidence was as easy as screen capping, and the argument that it was failing to represent the brand, while not particularly huge, was pretty easy to make.

That was child's play in comparison to this issue.




Hence the need for some mythical genius. Especially since MUT probably helps player brand... My only point was that IF you could make a good, evidence based argument, EA isn't the only place you could voice your concern. The NFLPA, various NFL teams, and many other options are available. I know, because I spent forever tracking those contacts down back in 2013 until I got that response from Carl Francis.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I am going to create a team called "the gay town butt pirates" and hurt your already diminishing image
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Top -