Home

Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-20-2018, 12:22 AM   #233
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan89
I know that. But that direction could help many other devs not just EA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
IMO, only do that if there are GLARING issues that need to be fixed ASAP. The worst thing a sports video game, that's goal is to mimic the sport (simulation), is to change the look often. The Show and 2K look awfully similar every year, but theyre 2 of the best sports games on the market because they keep refining things, not reinventing the wheel.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:23 AM   #234
Pro

OVR: 0

They should take some ideas that 2k5 football had and use some like those. Every thing was amazing about that game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-20-2018, 12:41 AM   #235
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Yeah, as sad as it is to say, I donít see them bringing back my all-time favorite mode: Superstar. I donít think many people played it, or of they did, EA didnít make much of a note on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I liked Superstar mode. It was one of the first sports career mode. I think the main issue with the mode was that was too bare bones at the time. I think ps2 version had more features though. So with it being so bare bones and and game play wasn't all that, it wasn't well received.
The issue with Longshot is that it was a linear story with barely any gameplay. It was pretty much only 3-4 hours long with like 2 endings, so replay-ability was low. The issues with career modes is having replay-ability and having balance. Few just want to only play and sim(unless gameplay is great). But at same time, nobody wants a campaign mode or loaded with cut scenes that can't be skipped. Like now with the Player mode in CFM. It is pretty much play and sim ahead. But in recent years, the gameplay has gotten better. But needs to be a little more to keep users interested
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2018, 01:04 AM   #236
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
That uproar the rest of us just heard was literally the entire Madden competitive community disagreeing with you.
That's fine.

But they should remember, at one point not long ago, the "entire competitive community" was making a living off Nano-blitzes and other poorly designed areas in the game to win. So much so that Rex and Co. were forced to nuke it by having over-balanced blitzers hit an invisible force-field at the line of scrimmage, even if they had a wide open lane into the backfield.

When I think of "stick skills", I think of things like this:

Not just pre-snap reads and "how fast can I make all these adjustments real-life QB's would never make". In Madden, the second his arm even glances another player, he's gonna flop to the ground like a string-less rag-doll. Then you have videos of a scrambling QB juking a LB from 5 yards away and still seeing the LB enter the "broken ankles" animation, allowing the QB to pick up even more yards.

Has the game-play improved over the last few years? Yes, it has... but make no mistake about it, the "competitive community" is still built around exploiting flawed programming mostly dominated by animations and/or dice rolls. There's still not much an "elite", maxed-out John Ross rookie card on a pre-snap-adjusted-vert-route on 3rd and 2 can't fix, afterall.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:04 AM   #237
Rookie

Soprano00's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
That's fine.
Has the game-play improved over the last few years? Yes, it has... but make no mistake about it, the "competitive community" is still built around exploiting flawed programming mostly dominated by animations and/or dice rolls. There's still not much an "elite", maxed-out John Ross rookie card on a pre-snap-adjusted-vert-route on 3rd and 2 can't fix, afterall.

It sounds paradoxical, but the more "sim" you go, the more people will find flaws to exploit. To be genuinely competitive this game shall backtrack to a more arcadey style, few simple rules but clear for everybody. You can't cheese chess, and it's there since ages.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:40 AM   #238
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soprano00
It sounds paradoxical, but the more "sim" you go, the more people will find flaws to exploit. To be genuinely competitive this game shall backtrack to a more arcadey style, few simple rules but clear for everybody. You can't cheese chess, and it's there since ages.
Would rather swallow lead, tbh.
While I do get your point, I would prefer an NFL simulation that didn't favor cheesy exploitation playing styles, but rather, punished them.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=170
Old 05-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #239
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
That uproar the rest of us just heard was literally the entire Madden competitive community disagreeing with you.

Itís true. I was watching a clip from the competitive games and they kept using the same 5-7 plays, exploiting Maddenís sketchy zone coverage scheme. If anything, this is a game of exploits and dice rolls rather than actual skill, at least in my experience.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #240
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Itís true. I was watching a clip from the competitive games and they kept using the same 5-7 plays, exploiting Maddenís sketchy zone coverage scheme. If anything, this is a game of exploits and dice rolls rather than actual skill, at least in my experience.
I see your angle and I don't play in the competitive arena at all, but another angle is, if your opponent can't shut you down, don't you keep running the same play until they do shut you down?

I don't even know how many minutes are in a quarter in competitive mode, but I don't think I would be able to run many different plays if the minutes are 5 minute quarters.

If batters in baseball can't hit your fastball, why start throwing them curveballs?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »